Paul5480

How certain are you of immortality?

58 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Carl-Richard said:

But if somebody created a new body from scratch, could it ever possibly be your body?

Yes, I think it could be possible

Edited by blankisomeone

5 minutes ago, blankisomeone said:

Yes

So you're not really talking about "this actual body, the exact one that I’m touching and feeling right now", but rather the general experience of having a body? In other words, you think you will experience having a body for all of eternity, irrespective of any particular body? Well, then basically your only option is that when your current body dies, you'll immediately be reincarnated as a new human being, or did you have anything else in mind?

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

1 minute ago, Carl-Richard said:

So you're not really talking about "this actual body, the exact one that I’m touching and feeling right now", but rather the general experience of having a body? In other words, you think you will experience having a body for all of eternity, irrespective of any particular body? Well, then basically your only option is that when your current body dies, you'll immediately be reincarnated as a new human being, or did you have anything else in mind?

I mean this actual body. I don’t think it goes to waste. This one, this one I’m using to text you. I think God keeps it forever. Again, just an intuition, could be wrong 

I think the question boils down to 

"is there another episode after death or is the television turned off?".

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

1 minute ago, blankisomeone said:

I mean this actual body. I don’t think it goes to waste. This one, this one I’m using to text you. I think God keeps it forever. Again, just an intuition, could be wrong 

"God keeps it forever", but will you experience operating this exact body forever?

6 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

"God keeps it forever", but will you experience operating this exact body forever?

Yes I think. I could possibly focus on other body experiences but this specific one has its eternal journey as well 

10 minutes ago, blankisomeone said:

Yes I think. I could possibly focus on other body experiences but this specific one has its eternal journey as well 

I gotta say, that is a weird intuition. So will your body stop aging at some point or be impervious to damage? When everybody else around you dies, your body will be just fine? You'll be praised as the first immortal man? Or is it that when you die, you and your dead body gets teleported to some alternate dimension where you get fixed up and somehow get to keep living, leaving behind a hollow copy of your dead body which is the one that will be buried, effectively preserving the illusion of bodily death for the rest of humanity? xD

Edited by Carl-Richard

Realize, rediscover that you are not a human… Death is human construct. It does not exist.

52 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

leaving behind a hollow copy

That’s the thing. I don’t think a hollow copy gets left behind. That’s a deep issue with materialism. For example materialism says that during nightly dreams, your body keeps on sleeping on the bed while you’re dreaming inside your skull. I think that’s wrong. When you’re dreaming you bring all of life with you. There’s no copy left behind

Edited by blankisomeone

50 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

When everybody else around you dies, your body will be just fine? You'll be praised as the first immortal man?

Not me, you.

2 minutes ago, blankisomeone said:

That’s the thing. I don’t think a hollow copy gets left behind. That’s a deep issue with materialism.

It's hollow in the sense that there is nobody operating it, no ghost in the machine, no subject who has private conscious experiences.

Still, I don't understand what you mean. Will it appear to other people like you've died or not?

2 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Still, I don't understand what you mean. Will it appear to other people like you've died or not?

Forget other people

Just now, blankisomeone said:

Forget other people

No. Forget solipsism. It's a garbage way of understanding life.

2 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

No. Forget solipsism. It's a garbage way of understanding life.

Sorry I mean forget “other” people in the sense that they’re separate from you. Remove the “other” from “other people”.

@blankisomeone Actually, let me try to re-frame the same question in the absolute garbage solipsist frame: will it appear to other people that you're imagining to exist like you've imagined your own death or not?

Just now, blankisomeone said:

Sorry I mean forget “other” people in the sense that they’re separate from you. Remove the “other” from “other people”.

Why should I do that?

14 minutes ago, RebornConsciousness said:

@Carl-Richard Why do you think that solipsism is a garbage way to look at and understand reality? I don't like the idea of solipsism either, but I'm just curious what are your particuliar reasons for not liking it.

Also, in spite of me not liking it, I guess it is one of the possible truths, so I don't wanna outright dismiss it. I also realize that how I feel doesn't have anything to do with Truth, if there is one. I just don't like the idea

Because it's so often used to deny any forms of knowledge that is not 100% certain, and people who get stuck in it have to perform the most fantastic feats of mental gymnastics to avoid having normal conversations about the most banal things, e.g. the idea that other people exist. And the reason people do it is because it's so fucking easy: just deny any forms of reasoning and stick to your "direct experience" and endlessly pontificate about how openminded you are for not entertaining anything that requires more than two brain cells to think about.

3 hours ago, RebornConsciousness said:

@Carl-Richard Why do you think that solipsism is a garbage way to look at and understand reality? I don't like the idea of solipsism either, but I'm just curious what are your particuliar reasons for not liking it.

Also, in spite of me not liking it, I guess it is one of the possible truths, so I don't wanna outright dismiss it. I also realize that how I feel doesn't have anything to do with Truth, if there is one. I just don't like the idea

Of course it’s one of the possible truths.

Like how if you don’t pay your bills and don’t go to work, being homeless becomes a possible truth.

"Wisdom is not in knowing all the answers, but in seeking the right questions." -Gemini AI