Something Funny

How Do You Become Brave?

42 posts in this topic

I feel like such a coward sometimes. And I think that at least partially this is a root cause of most of my issues in life.

So, how do I change myself? I want to become really brave and decisive.

When You're conscious of what truly and deeply resonates with You, You have the spirit / strength to fight for it. If your love is strong enough, it overcomes fear. Because love is INSPIRING.

When You really love something and You see it's neglected, there sorta arises an anger in You that cuts through all bullshit and motivates You to act in protection of that thing. So REALLY dedicate yourself to what You love - for what / whom You'd be willing to die for. You will have the courage to FIGHT bravely and decisively.

Edited by Sincerity

@Something Funny From my personal experience of observing people and overcoming this problem myself, I'd recommend exploring your shadow deeply and then integrating it in your conscious life. Sounds simple, but it is among the bravest things you can do. After facing your internal demons, nothing external will phase you, because ultimately it's all just you. It seems you are simply afraid of yourself. And I mean that literally.  

Jordan peterson has a good take on this. He phrases it as "Become a monster, and then learn how to control it". The idea is that once you explore all the terrible aspects of yourself that you have been hiding because they don't fit your self-image, you develop self-respect. And once you have self-respect, you will become more decisive, assertive, and courageous. 

It's like having a loaded gun. When holding it comfortably, like you own it, you feel the power, confidence, and a sense of invincibility. But if you have never held a loaded gun, you might be scared to pick it up at first. Loading the gun is like becoming a monster, and then making it your own is like learning how to control the monster, which also involves developing a degree of respect for it because it can potentially kill others and yourself.

The same is true for the shadow, there is potential in there to kill others and yourself. 

While exploring the shadow, remember the wise words of Carl Jung:

"That which we need the most will be found where we least want to look.” 

and 

"No tree can grow to Heaven unless it's roots reach down to Hell."

Edited by HMD

"The wise seek wisdom, a fool has found it."

8 years ago being courageous was not a trade associated with me.

When I asked people around me what my top 5 strengths are last year, courage was part of everyone’s list.

Reflecting on my growth process, I would say it was a rather gradual one.

As Nathaniel Daniel describes, self-esteem is a reciprocal trade. When we have more self-esteem, we act like it. When we act like it, we grow in self-esteem.

my advice would be to deliberately start taking small courageous steps outside of your comfort zone.

Pick-up can be great for this. I did door-to-door sales which helped. Starting your own business. Talking to strangers. Posting something online. Expressing your boundaries. The list is endless.

Brain Begin from Fearless has this technique called smth like the ‘tension journal’. Where he would note down throughout the day which actions he could take and which degree of tension they would be. 1 being completely comfort zone. 10 being completely out. Then he would challenge himself to do actions in the 4-7 range to train his courage.

In the end, what I’m saying is that courage, bravery and decisiveness can be seen as a skill. Train it deliberately and you will grow.

Realizeyourgrowth.com

This is one of the best questions asked on the forum I have noticed in a long time.

Courage vs. Bravery

Courage is action in spite of fear.

Bravery is action without fear.

Bravery takes time to develop.

It really comes down to learning how to be more decisive.

Question your fears to death and just take action towards your goals.

Get excited for no reason at all. Be silly and just do it.

Edited by r0ckyreed

All Teachers and Teachings are delusion. You have all the answers within you. The first step on the journey to Enlightenment is questioning all the beliefs and teachings you have ever received. Teachers/Teachings are a distraction/maya at the highest level. There comes a point where you need to trust in your own innate knowledge and derive your own insights into the nature of reality. Teachers make a living and lifestyle of selling you water by the river. You don’t need them. All you need is an insatiable desire for truth and then seriously contemplate reality and uncover all that is false. 

When there will be something in your life that you truly want, you'll act on it despite the fear. Courage is a talk with your heart, it comes from your heart. You are afraid but reaching for it anyways.

On a day to day basis, focusing on confidence and self-esteem would be more practical. From my experience, acts of courage are more rear occasions but surely very very significant.

softly into the Abyss...

It isn't about changing yourself, but about realizing yourself. At first, the spiritual path takes tremendous courage. You are doing battle with the demons of the conditioned mind. After passing through the gate, courage is transfigured into fearlessness. Demons dissolve.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

You are already brave, you have tricked yourself through self-deception to believe you aren't brave. You don't become brave, you just give yourself permission to be brave.

Why do you think people have to take risks to gain confidence? Because without evidence they can do it they will give up. So when people take small risks and keep getting success they eventually gain a whole lot of confidence. But this confidence is fake. True confidence doesn't care about results, it cares about doing the act just for the act itself. Which is selflessness. So you want to be confident? Don't live for success, live for exploration and experimentation. 

Placing your value on achievements and success is a fool's errand. Go and make mistakes and not care at all.

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.

@Sincerity @Intraplanetary but what if I want to live my life bravely as a whole, not just have courage around "must have" things?

For example a few days ago I was at a post office and a drunk/high/crazy guy was bothering an old lady because she "took" his spot in a line that he previously "reserved". I felt like I should step in but instead just walked out like it's none of my business.

Yesterday it was raining heavily and I had an umbrella with me and I thought how it would be cool to offer some girl to walk with her. But I didn't because I was too afraid.

@Intraplanetary thanks for sharing the book, I will check it out.

Edited by Something Funny

@HMD do you have any resources or can you explain in detail whay process did you follow, please?

Also, I love the quotes.

@Identity thanks, that's encouraging. I know that this is the most straightforward approach. And I guess I am doing it bit by bit. But I feel like I am too inconsistent with it, lack patience, give up too quickly, etc.

For example I did pickup for like a week. I even found people to do it with. I had a week off from work so I would spend almost the whole day outsude trying to approach girls. But after a week I just quit and haven't done it since. And it's not just pickup, it's like that with almost everything that I do.

There's a classic self-help book titled:

Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway

You don't need to read the book. Just the title.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@r0ckyreed thank you.

@Leo Gura haha, okay. But it still takes emotional effort to do it though. And I feel like I just don't have the strength sometimes, or take to long to decide and the window of opportunity is gone by then, or, if I do, it's a one time thing where I really really push myself to do something, not a charater trait / lifestyle.

@Something Funny If you make a lifelong habit of confronting your fears you will eventually become a badass motherfucker.

You do not need to do the process perfectly. Even 70% will be good enough if you are consistent at it for years. Take the pressure off yourself to do it 100%.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Something Funny said:

For example a few days ago I was at a post office and a drunk/high/crazy guy was bothering an old lady because she "took" his spot in a line that he previously "reserved". I felt like I should step in but instead just walked out like it's none of my business.

Yesterday it was raining heavily and I had an umbrella with me and I thought how it would be cool to offer some girl to walk with her. But I didn't because I was too afraid.

This sounds to me like a masculine way of approaching things. Courage doesn't have to relate with gender, but in the examples you're giving, I think you want to become more masculine and confident man. Maybe, working on self-esteem would help and just bitting the bullet and accepting the burn of doing something that you're afraid of, be it the fear of rejection or the fear of failure, etc.

I relate with courage as a talk with the heart and the ability to psychologically accept any consequences.

Maybe from a more masculine way it would be something like 'just fkin do it and accept the consequences like a man' heheheheh

Just let your ass burn; it'll make you stronger and more confident.

Edited by Intraplanetary

softly into the Abyss...

@Intraplanetary haha okay. 

51 minutes ago, Intraplanetary said:

This sounds to me like a masculine way of approaching things. Courage doesn't have to relate with gender, but in the examples you're giving, I think you want to become more masculine and confident man.

Specific examples or gender are nit the main point though in my opinion.

It all boils down to experiencing fear and then running away from it.