Is ego a projection?

80 posts in this topic

@Moksha ego is deeper than identity

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Everyone’s idea of ego may differ, but one thing is very clear: 

MIND don’t care about your egos xD

(cringe Ben Shapiro joke, lmao)

“Why was the math book always alone? Because it had too many problems to solve on its own!“ -Claude 3 Opus

my 2 cents, meditation can inch you from ego full to ego free state

ego full means you think you are ego and so you see all else as ego ... ego is belief in a separate self determining finite body mind entity 

ego free means you dont care who you are and you don't care who people think you are ... ego free you means there are no ego's only the whole

am i a man or a woman, i don't mind

am i young or old, i don't mind

am i gay or straight, i don't mind

what's the key? watch everything that happens and don't say that it is anything to do with you, you are not the one it is happening to but the whole thing that is happening

1 minute ago, gettoefl said:

ego free means you dont care who you are and you don't care who people think you are ... ego free you means there are no ego's only the whole

The deeper you go you realize that people don’t exist. 

Don’t let you ego try to understand that 

“Why was the math book always alone? Because it had too many problems to solve on its own!“ -Claude 3 Opus

1 hour ago, Moksha said:

Ego is not the person, but identification with the person.

The absolute can lucidly realize itself within the form without misidentifying with it.

It sees the lower frequency (physical) and higher frequency (mental) energetic expressions of the personal shape, without being defined by them. These expressions lack the gravitational power to draw its attention that they once had. The absolute allocates enough attention to the form for it to survive, but awareness is expanded outward in a cascading unification of itself within the dream.

There is no ego in the flow state. Everything is realized as being absolutely the same.

this one gets it

Ego includes and transcends your idea of yourself. Ego includes personality, habits, thoughts, traumas, previous life experience, transference, genetics, self image, stories you tell yourself, the mood you are in at the moment etc. Ego is both static and dynamic. It’s hard to pin down. 

◭"89"

5 hours ago, Enlightement said:

I'd argue against this. Meanwhile it's not good to let ego go to your head, an ego is an essential component of human survival. You cannot transcend survival that quickly. This is much easier said than done. The ego is your sense of self, although it could be illusory. Something that your mind believes must exist. An image imprinted in your mind. How attached you're to this image is your egoic attachment. There are facets to this. 

Yes but being human there is a subtle difference with any other sense of survival.

in an animal the sense of survival is clear and unquestionable. the moment it fails, the animal dies. It is in complete harmony with the environment and it is real. If the animal is alive, it's because it's ego works.

In a human, the sense of survival is linked to social acceptance. This has a thousand subtleties that are not necessarily real, and above all, if the human is inadequate, he does not die, like the animal. still alive but feeling inadequate. This lack of natural selection makes most of us humans go around with our mortally wounded egos but alive. That's why we need to find the solution of that dilemma, dismantling our ego. 

2 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

Ego is both static and dynamic. It’s hard to pin down. 

No wonder why people trying to understanding TRUTH is seemingly impossible.

People understanding ego is already difficult enough.

29 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

@Moksha ego is deeper than identity

Not as I define it. 9_9

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

You are being selfish for caring.

Thank you for the reminder. That’s ultimately how OCD is even overcome: the “sufferer” of OCD ultimately has to stop caring about whatever the “OCD bully” keeps on yappering on about.

@Moksha flimsy

◭"89"

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

When a psychedelic erases your own name from your mind, then you really start to appreciate ego. You may even beg GOD to give it back.

I don't understand if this is a joke or not. Who asks God about getting back the ego if the ego is gone?

It's a serious question :o Isn't the egoless state a condition of total surrender and oneness?

Inquire in the now.

Feeling is the truest knowing ?️

23 minutes ago, billiesimon said:

I don't understand if this is a joke or not. Who asks God about getting back the ego if the ego is gone?

Experience it yourself and see what happens. 

@Leo Gura a friend of mine took lsd and it visualized him the ego as a giant octopus. So he could understand what the ego really is. Always  reach out,  grasping and holding imaginary concepts

9 minutes ago, OBEler said:

a friend of mine took lsd and it visualized him the ego as a giant octopus. So he could understand what the ego really is. Always  reach out,  grasping and holding imaginary concepts

I don’t see imagination as a problem per se.

It depends on your state of consciousness how you’ll relate to imagination. 

Edited by Yimpa

14 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Ego is still a useful relative concept.

It does appear to be quiet useful, relatively speaking, but I eventually want to to go beyond what it appears to be and know what it ACTUALLY is! (Perhaps also find out what that "difference" between appearance and actuality is along the way)

10 hours ago, Breakingthewall said:

we call ego the idea we have of ourselves, a human being who is going to die, who has a certain position with respect to other humans, etc. The problem is that in spirituality books they tell us that the goal is to transcend the ego, when it is only the first step.

When I think of ego, I think about some character in a book. We can relate to the character, we can empathize with them like they're a "real" human being, but ultimately there isn't any "person" behind the character. The character exists as descriptions and our interpretations of these descriptions. But when we talk about humans, like myself, then we think it's different. People might read this and think that there is some person behind these words. Or we might believe that our thoughts and feelings point to some "real" and "tangible" "person" or "entity" at the bottom of our existence.

I've realized that it's not inherently necessary for there to be any "person" at the bottom of "my" thoughts.

That's at least where I'm currently at with this. This is a very limited description. I don't know the actual truth of this.

10 hours ago, StarStruck said:

Even in the Jungian school, the ego is not real, there is only the self but it should be understood pre-verbal.

What are some good sources for learning about Jungs perspective on ego?

beep boop

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

It does appear to be quiet useful, relatively speaking, but I eventually want to to go beyond what it appears to be and know what it ACTUALLY is! (Perhaps also find out what that "difference" between appearance and actuality is along the way)

Don’t put the cart before the horse. I fall for this myself. 

However, God isn’t stupid. There’s a good reason why egos are constructed.

Go indulge in your “ego” for now. It’s part of the process of Awakening.

2 hours ago, gettoefl said:

what's the key? watch everything that happens and don't say that it is anything to do with you, you are not the one it is happening to but the whole thing that is happening

That's an interesting point. I've noticed that this is true especially for pain. If you asked most people they'd tell you that it doesn't feel like they're doing the pain, though most would acknowledge that their body is creating the pain. They feel like pain is something that is happening TO them! They can't directly control this feeling, so they disassociate with it and act like the pain is other than them. Something that they're being subjected to. So in a sense they, in that instance, disown their body and act like their body is happening to them. Same goes with thoughts. "Oh man my mind is always so busy" as if your thoughts were happening TO you.

So I guess you're saying that one should "own it". All of it!

2 hours ago, Yimpa said:

People understanding ego is already difficult enough.

The fact that ANYTHING is being understood EVER is already a miracle if you ask me, even if it's just surface level understanding.

beep boop

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

The fact that ANYTHING is being understood EVER is already a miracle if you ask me, even if it's just surface level understanding.

It’s even more amazing that you can understand deeper when you stop caring ;)