GodelEscherBach

How To Become Smarter

17 posts in this topic

What to do in order to become smarter, improve memory and overall cognitive function. The possibility of using more brain capacity than 10%, which may be linked to awareness. I remember watching a movie called Lucy, when she was increasing her brain capacity she was complete aware, she could feel her blood pumping, the earth moving, etc.

Newer studies claim that  that 10% theory is a myth,and it has been proven that it is.http://n.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_percent_of_the_brain_myth

I have read that people who use both the left and right sides of the brain more than just one side are smarter as they have greater synchronicity between the two parts.

You can increase awareness through mindfulness mediation and it really works.Mindfulness based cognitive therapies are exclusively designed to raise your awareness.

Other Cognitive functions can be improved through training like memory ,spatial reasoning etc and a healthy diet and exercise.Try daily practicing puzzles like Rubix cube,crosswords and read and read tons of books.Some studies claim that listening to Classical Music can raise your IQ by a few points.Diet plays a vital role too along with exercise.

I have tried a lot of methods to increase IQ,some work but to not any satisfactory extent like increasing 20 points or 30 points.I think as far as gross IQ is concerned, your pretty much stuck with what you are born with.

People like Tesla,Einstein etc have admitted that they are not exceptionally smart,but they are good out of the box thinkers.

I would like a video on this too.

"Everything in moderation, including moderation."-Oscar Wilde

12 hours ago, Rito said:

I have tried a lot of methods to increase IQ,some work but to not any satisfactory extent like increasing 20 points or 30 points.I think as far as gross IQ is concerned, your pretty much stuck with what you are born with.

HI Rito

Thanks for your answer and for sharing the link, very interesting. However I disagree with this statement. I don't believe that we are stuck with it but that we can improve it. I remember once watching a Wayne Dyer's seminar where he said something really interesting. Can't remember exactly how he worded it but basically he said: if you have an apple pie and you cut a very very tiny minuscule slice from the apple pie, what's in the very tiny slice of apple pie? Well, the same but just smaller. He was referring to the big bang the whole universe and us (the very tiny slice of the apple pie). So if we come from an infinite, timeless, eternal, creative force. part of us is infinite, timeless, eternal and creative but at a smaller scale. Sounds metaphysical but quite interesting, huh? 

Things that I have done and felt an improvement : 

• Nootropics (with mild side effects unfortunately)
  • Martial Arts
  • Intermittent Fasting
  • Classical Piano (especially Counterpoint and Bach)
  • Learning a new language (i'm a native Spanish speaker living in NZ)
  • Reading a lot (in English)
  • Daily Meditation with brain waves
  • Leo's videos 
  • studying accounting
  • nutrition
  • supplements like omega 3, some vitamins, Acetyl L Carnitine and Creatine
  • Coffee in the morning, Green Tea in the afternoon
  • Playing Chess
  • Sleeping at least 8 hours (this should probably go first on the list, without this, all the rest doesn't work)
  • Juggling Balls (Thanks Chameleon for the reminder)

Yesterday I started with Lumosity, let's see how it goes. I should stop drinking so much red wine though haha

CHeers :)

Edited by GodelEscherBach

Learn how to juggle balls, not just tha three ball cascade, but the dozens of other tricks you can learn. It's seriously a good workout for your brain and it's fun. Sudoku is also a lot of fun and improves your problem solving skills and memory.

I read about Juggling balls in a book called Brain Rules by John Medina. I was able to do 3 at once stage, should kept on practicing.

Thanks, I will add that to the list :)

Lumosity and brain training games will only help you get  better at those specific tasks. It helps people with serious problems like dementia, simply because it is a fun way of having some mental stimulation.  IQ may be flexible, but humans do not have infinite potential. You might as well try to achieve unlimited physical strength. There ARE upper limits. 

My best advice would be to not focus on your IQ; it is not even clear if you can really increase it. Studies on that have conflicting results-- you probably won't be the pioneer to make a huge breakthrough, especially since you are just doing stuff that has been purported to increase intellect. I tried doing this for many, many years. If you want to become "smarter,"  try becoming more intelligent within specific domains.  Your inherent cognitive capacity will probably not change that much, but you will be able to express latent potential, so to speak.

It is unknown at this point if your innate ability is truly flexible at this point. A better use of time until that is really determined would be to bring out the potential you already have by using good METHODS. Don't underestimate the power of efficient strategy. You see it all the time in sports-- technique matters.

Study Cal Newport's studyhacks blog if you want a good place to start.

7 hours ago, GodelEscherBach said:

HI Rito

Thanks for your answer and for sharing the link, very interesting. However I disagree with this statement. I don't believe that we are stuck with it but that we can improve it. I remember once watching a Wayne Dyer's seminar where he said something really interesting. Can't remember exactly how he worded it but basically he said: if you have an apple pie and you cut a very very tiny minuscule slice from the apple pie, what's in the very tiny slice of apple pie? Well, the same but just smaller. He was referring to the big bang the whole universe and us (the very tiny slice of the apple pie). So if we come from an infinite, timeless, eternal, creative force. part of us is infinite, timeless, eternal and creative but at a smaller scale. Sounds metaphysical but quite interesting, huh? 

• Martial Arts
  • Intermittent Fasting
  • Classical Piano (especially Counterpoint and Bach)
  • Learning a new language (i'm a native Spanish speaker living in NZ)
  • Reading a lot (in English)
  • Daily Meditation with brain waves
  • Leo's videos 
  • studying accounting
  • nutrition
  • supplements like omega 3, some vitamins, Acetyl L Carnitine and Creatine
  • Coffee in the morning, Green Tea in the afternoon
  • Playing Chess
  • Sleeping at least 8 hours (this should probably go first on the list, without this, all the rest doesn't work)
  • Juggling Balls (Thanks Chameleon for the reminder)

Yesterday I started with Lumosity, let's see how it goes. I should stop drinking so much red wine though haha

CHeers :)

All of those really work to increase your fluid intelligence,I don't think it does much for your crystallized intelligence.I think for an all round development and results you need to be really consistent with all those.

I would pick up one technique and would not reallly stick with it to really see the benefits.Ultimately perseverance and consistency is the key.

"Everything in moderation, including moderation."-Oscar Wilde

@Ayla Theyre not gonna listen lol, youre gonna have to whip them ;) 

Edited by JevinR
Sexual innuendo

On 2/13/2016 at 2:54 AM, GodelEscherBach said:

What to do in order to become smarter, improve memory and overall cognitive function. The possibility of using more brain capacity than 10%, which may be linked to awareness. I remember watching a movie called Lucy, when she was increasing her brain capacity she was complete aware, she could feel her blood pumping, the earth moving, etc.

yes, how to raise intelligence

Edited by JevinR

5 hours ago, JevinR said:

@Ayla Theyre not gonna listen lol, youre gonna have to whip them ;) 

:ph34r:

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

Adding another point in this topic, which is very fundemental. There are lots of myths about learning out there, and it's complicated for people to get the truth about learning ability with all the perspectives. Maybe Leo could talk about the scientific method of learning. Can all people learn the same but in differents speeds? I'm almost sure that if you visit a school and ask the students why they aren't good at maths, different false facts will occur. If one answers that he ain't good at maths and you ask him why, he'll either tell you that he can't learn it, or that he's parents wasn't good at maths. Maybe Leo could include that aspect in one of his future videoes, or make it into a whole video depending on how important he finds it.       

Hmmmm... I'll have to think about this. How does one become smarter? Might be a good topic.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@GodelEscherBach There are several ways to become more smarter as you say. I'll share one of them with you. 

It's about what Rito mentioned earlier. The "Left" and the "Right" brain. They are connected by what's called the "Corpus Callosum". This is literally a bridge, that connects the both hemispheres and is responsible for the communication between both the left and the right side of your brain. Training this cable by training both hands equally and doing exercises using both hands simultaneously like juggling will improve the communication between both hemispheres, which results in development and use of both hemispheres of the brain, more brain power, more smart?

The theory goes like this. The hands grow the brain. Normally the left hand is wired to the right brain and the right hand is wired to the left brain (for some people this is the opposite). To keep it simple, the left brain is dominant for logic and the right brain is dominant for intuitiveness, creativity (the artist). Now what do Michael Jordan, Thomas Edison, Albert Einstein, Leonardo Da Vinci, Raphael Nadal, Tiger Woods and many more all have in common? They are all ambidextrous (two handedness) which makes them whole brain thinkers. This is not only to say I can use both hands equally (naturally or forced), this also means ambidextrous thinking now that's interesting because now your using both sides of your brain, your logic and your creativity. Instead of only one of the both, which is often the case with people who are only dominant right handed or only dominant left handed. (This doesn't explain all their genius, but it played for sure a big part).

Doing exercises like hammer drills, memory drills, Palmer penmanship and Da Vinci mirror-image handwriting, juggling, both left and right and simultaneously. Is massive active stress for your brain which keeps it young and strong.

If you want to read more on it. Cheers.

Sources:
http://www.amazon.com/Whole-Brain-Power-Fountain-Youth/dp/0557005140
http://www.wholebrainpowercoaching.com/

If you want to use your brain more the rule is simple : Learn new skills. If you are doing same stuff every day with no room for learning something else, your brain will just stack same patterns over and over again. That's why sometimes you cant solve a specific prolem doing same thing over and over and realizining that something is just not right with a way how you try to solve it. So once you reach plato, you must break it, you must chalenge yourself. So try learning piano or smt , it is one of best skills for brain to develop. My current list now is :

- Learn piano

- Go to gym after i am done with medical treatment

- Start going on dance classes

- Learn new language and i have chossen German.

"Repeat a lie a thousand times and it becomes the truth."

Dr. joseph Goebbels

On 13.02.2016 at 10:40 PM, GodelEscherBach said:

What Nootropics do you use and how do you dose them?

@Czarkovsky it really depends on the effect you are after. I was after the Limitless effect (Bradley Cooper's movie)

I took Oxiracetam on an empty stomach 1 gram. Perfect cure for those who have racing thoughts mind in the morning and find it hard to concentrate. Also your senses get enhanced. Like you can distinguish musical notes (almost like perfect pitch) and color are brighters, smell is also improved, you can guess a wine grape for example (Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec, Merlot) good for impressing chicks. 

...and Noopept and Aniracetam after a meal, Usually after lunch and dinner respectively. Aniracetam has anxiolytic effects, so best taken later in the day, helps you relax.  

Aniracetam is Fat soluble, so I bought 100% peanut butter (good fats) mixed the oil with the powder (2 grams) and skulled it. I was reading very complicated music scores (Bach) on the piano like crazy, super focused, super present, never been so concentrated in my life. I still remember every single note, my piano teacher was impressed. I also used it reading textbooks and creative stuff (composing, writing, rehearsing a speech, etc).

Side effect: Headaches and sometimes irritability. Which i think is related to the fact that you are super smart for like 6 hours and ppl can't follow. You need to repeat yourself, or play slower (if you are doing music with someone), etc. Better for working on your own.  

Also when you are in super smart Limitless mood you don't have a sense of humor. Nothing is funny. You just want to solve a Mathematical problem or play chess haha you become like a robot, but a very very effective one.