Nilsi

How is Developmental Psychology privileged over Postmodernism?

52 posts in this topic

@r0ckyreed

30 minutes ago, r0ckyreed said:

Post-Modernism is wrong because they deny the Objective/Absolute domain. They forget that Reality is Objective and not merely subjective.

The Earth is a particular shape right now regardless of our feelings and beliefs about it. There are true and false answers relative to our state of consciousness. That is what the Post-Modernists and subjectivists get wrong.

Post Modernists and Subjectivist talk about whether trees and the forests exist. Realists and developmental psychology says these are how trees and forests develop, and the more hardcore pragmatists say "Just go camping outdoors bro.".

54 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Developmental psychology is better at explaining human behavior than post-modernism.

There is nothing real you can point to, to justify this claim. But, of course, something has to be constructed, before it can be deconstructed. 

This is like saying women are better than men -- but for a woman to be happy, she still needs a man to fuck her.

Reminds me of this good ol Hegel meme:

EeAvZlMXYAAI80F.jpg

Edited by Nilsi

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

11 minutes ago, Nilsi said:

There is nothing real you can point to, to justify this claim.

I will not argue with a fool.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

3 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I will not argue with a fool.

Why are you so touchy, all of a sudden?

I'm not advocating we build our society on postmodernism. All I'm trying to do, is keep you from being locked into some petty paradigm.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

5 minutes ago, Nilsi said:

All I'm trying to do, is keep you from being locked into some petty paradigm.

What other paradigm would you propose. You had to have something in mind before you started this thread. It has to be something with similar explanatory potential. Explaining similar issues to a similar or greater degree. Or something with a much greater explanatory potential on different issues, but incompatible with Developmental Psychology. Postmodernism is not that. And to be fair, framing developmental psychology as a paradigm is not the best idea. It's a smaller thing that's compatible with many different paradigms, you can make developmental psychology into something that suits postmodernist paradigm - developmental psychology with a postmodernist flavor.

Otherwise the further discussion is pointless, nothing less than exchanging opinions of little weight.

The fact that something can be deconstructed doesn't mean it has to. Models that describe development of the psyche or social change understood as progress hold quite a lot of explanatory power. They are useful tool in a tool box of anyone contemplating reality, one's I wouldn't do without. There are other tools and perspectives to. One can hold many of them in mind. Thus I don't see a reason for deconstructing this particular one.

7 minutes ago, Girzo said:

What other paradigm would you propose. You had to have something in mind before you started this thread. It has to be something with similar explanatory potential. Explaining similar issues to a similar or greater degree. Or something with a much greater explanatory potential on different issues, but incompatible with Developmental Psychology. Postmodernism is not that. And to be fair, framing developmental psychology as a paradigm is not the best idea. It's a smaller thing that's compatible with many different paradigms, you can make developmental psychology into something that suits postmodernist paradigm - developmental psychology with a postmodernist flavor.

Otherwise the further discussion is pointless, nothing less than exchanging opinions of little weight.

The fact that something can be deconstructed doesn't mean it has to. Models that describe development of the psyche or social change understood as progress hold quite a lot of explanatory power. They are useful tool in a tool box of anyone contemplating reality, one's I wouldn't do without. There are other tools and perspectives to. One can hold many of them in mind. Thus I don't see a reason for deconstructing this particular one.

I don't think it's necessarily useful for too many people to hold the same worldview.

I don't know what developmental psychology adds to Leo's life, other than distortion and bias, but maybe I'm wrong.

Sometimes I overextend the whole postmodern paradigm a bit and sometimes I just say dumb things. I'm open to this being one of those times.

8 minutes ago, Nilsi said:

I don't think it's necessarily useful for too many people to hold the same worldview.

I don't know what developmental psychology adds to Leo's life, other than distortion and bias, but maybe I'm wrong.

Sometimes I overextend the whole postmodern paradigm a bit and sometimes I just say dumb things. I'm open to this being one of those times.

I'm just talking nonsense right now.

I've pushed this further than it should've been pushed and tried to backwards rationalize.

Simply put, postmodernism is not thorough deconstruction of concepts. Relativism is itself a concept. The postmodern kind of relativism when adopted tends to be less like relativism and more like a gravestone planted firmly in the ground.

Of course cognitive development can go beyond postmodernism. Cognitive development is of course also a concept.

At any rate, good developmental psychology is at the very least produced from analyzing massive amounts of data and surveys. Postmodernism is not.

Why might someone prefer developmental psychology over postmodernism? Because it's like comparing the selection of alcohol at restaurant to a single pack of beer.

Both are of course fantasies.

@Gnosis

3 hours ago, Gnosis said:

Simply put, postmodernism is not thorough deconstruction of concepts. Relativism is itself a concept. The postmodern kind of relativism when adopted tends to be less like relativism and more like a gravestone planted firmly in the ground.

Of course cognitive development can go beyond postmodernism. Cognitive development is of course also a concept.

At any rate, good developmental psychology is at the very least produced from analyzing massive amounts of data and surveys. Postmodernism is not.

Why might someone prefer developmental psychology over postmodernism? Because it's like comparing the selection of alcohol at restaurant to a single pack of beer.

Both are of course fantasies.

Developmental psychology is the restaurant alcohol selection, and postmodernism the pack of beer?

6 hours ago, r0ckyreed said:

Post-Modernism is wrong because they deny the Objective/Absolute domain. They forget that Reality is Objective and not merely subjective.

The Earth is a particular shape right now regardless of our feelings and beliefs about it. There are true and false answers relative to our state of consciousness. That is what the Post-Modernists and subjectivists get wrong.

There is no subjectivity or objectivity. We are inside the Mind of God. In the end all human explaination is incomplete and cannot grasp Reality in its totality, including what I wrote above here. So don't take your beliefs to seriously. 

@PeaceOut96

4 hours ago, PeaceOut96 said:

There is no subjectivity or objectivity. We are inside the Mind of God. In the end all human explaination is incomplete and cannot grasp Reality in its totality, including what I wrote above here. So don't take your beliefs to seriously. 

However, being inside GOD'S mind doesn't justify behaviors of torturing, murdering and raping a child and claiming it's all RELATIVE. It's insufficient justification, and the majority of people looking at you, those who have witnessed this behavior and the victim, and those hearing the testimonies of those witnesses will not just spare your life, see? Survival is a real issue, even with Postmodernism claims SURVIVAL nulls Postmodernism in most contexts. Compared to Postmodernism though, at least developmental psychology as a modal mapped human development and human cultural values over time, to the point it could give some explanation of this heinous crime.

This is how stealmanning postmodernism feels like xD

Edited by Nilsi