Something Funny

Want To Have A Commonplace Book But Love Handwriting?

21 posts in this topic

I love handwriting much more than typing on a computer and whenever I really need to think things through I do it on paper. I am not sure why, but I feel like it's easier for me to think this way, not to mention that I just love the process in general.

But of course the issue is that you can't really organise and store your notes the same way you could in a digital commonplace book. So I was wondering if there is anything I can do to overcome this issue. The only thing I can think of so far is to make photos or scans of my notes and then upload them to my digital commonplace book, but I am worried that they will start taking up too much space and it will be cumbersome in general. Has anyone tried to do it this way? What software should I use: Notion, Obsidian (I don't like outlook because it's windows only and I have a mac and don't want to be tied to one OS forever in general).

I've bought a none expensive samsung tablet with a pen and this is one of the reasons I did it, because I prefer handwriting but also love my notes to be organized. 

It works well for me so far. In most tablets there is a built in app that you can write both with typing and handwriting and organize your notes into folders and categories, and if you aren't satisfied with the built in app there are always other good and comfortable alternatives. 

Let Love In

@Lila9 thanks for sharing. Does it save notes in pdf so that you can watch them anywhere?

I don't think this is the best option for me though. I like the feeling of writing on the paper and disconnecting from all the electronic devices since I already spend too much time in front of the screen.

Also, I've just bought a new fountain pen, ink, and a journal and am really excited to use them, haha

I think I will go for a mixed system where I take some notes on my laptop (for example from actualized.org videos) and then also have a paper journal on the side.

I've come up with a really cool idea of an emotional mastery journal (inspired by your suggestion btw).

Just scan them with your phone  and put them in your commonplace book.

@LSD-Rumi yeah this is probably what I will do or get a scanner in the long term. I am just worried that my commonplace book file will become too big over time and if it might cause any issues.

@RebornConsciousness

34 minutes ago, RebornConsciousness said:

In your particuliar case, the best combination would probably be a mixture of paperback gratitude journal/general journal for everything. And an online journal for a more intelectual stuff. I

Yeah, that's a good idea.

34 minutes ago, RebornConsciousness said:

I would still use Onenote on laptop/PC, whilst combining it with Notion for mobile/tablet. That way you have the best of all worlds.

Having two different apps sounds like a bad idea for me and I don't really need it on a mobile. Also, as I said I don't really like one note because it's not really clear to me what will happen if I decide to switch OS to Linux for example. I like obsidian more because it uses standard files and markup language so my files won't be tied down to just obsidian if anything happens to it. Plus it's available on mac, windows, and linux. I just need to learn how to use it properly.

38 minutes ago, RebornConsciousness said:

Personally, I've completely transcended the need for all paper stuff, including books, magazines etc. I only use the screen.

Ehh, but they are so awesome, haha.

@Something Funny 

Sure, I know that with some tablets, on the basic notes app you can save it as a pdf file if you want.

There is also a paper-like screen protector that gives a feeling of a paper when you write on your tablet. I haven't tried it yet but people say it does feel like writing on a piece of paper.

But yeah, I get what you mean. You know what is best for you ?

Let Love In

The remarkable tablet ?

My system is simple..

1. remarkable tablet because I prefer to write by hand and be in distraction free, Deep work zone. Remarkable syncs to cloud and can be accessed by phone or laptop. I think the remarkable tablet makes a great commonplace book, or part of a commonplace book system. 
2. One note. 

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Thought Art wow, this one is actually really cool. And I guess I could buy it in an alternative universe, but I love my fountain pens too much ))

Edited by Something Funny

@Something Funny if you want to use paper then the Bullet Journal Method can be modified to be a commonplace book, though that’s limited.

◭"89"

If you prefer handwriting over computer, just make a handwritten commonplace book! Simple. That's what I do.

Originally all commonplace books were hand-written scrapbooks.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

One note could handle them I bet. Probably is it could be harder to find through the search function. I have been playing with something similar. I just manually upload the notes by typing later though. 

If your handwriting is ok, then OCR software might be able to read it. Can't give you any solid recommendation though. I use MathPix for math equations, and ABBY Fine Reader for scanned printed pages. I don't know the best app for handwritten notes.

But, you can go very far just doing photos of your notes with a proper smartphone app. Like vFlat. A good smartphone scanning app will output really small files.

Buy a drawing tablet and take your notes in onenote by writing with the pen. A physical notebook is inferior

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

Handwritten commonplace book would be a hell for me. Especially in this age of data. It is like trying to ride a horse on the highway lol: "but I like riding horses".

Edited by StarStruck

In Tate we trust

◭"89"

@Girzo @Thought Art @Average Investor thanks for advise guys I've decided to use a hybrid system for now. Writing some notes by hand and some on a laptop + taking photos of handwritten notes like Girzo advised.

@Leo Gura so basically I would need to have a whole library of separate notebooks for different topics if I went fully with handwriting, right? 

@Stretch how do you organize them exactly?