Illusory Self

Thoughts on non-dual teachers?

60 posts in this topic

I want to know what everyones thoughts are on the direct path non-dual teachers such as Mooji, Rupert Spira, Eckhart Tolle etc... and all the other teachers who focus on self-inquiry

is that the most effective way to get people to non-dual states of being by just saying focus on the present moment, we all share our own being. Do you think the audience really understands what they are communicating and is it effective or could a better approach be put in place? 

I find Eckhart Tolle, Rupert Spira extremely simplifying such profound states of awareness and I am not sure if that is the most effective way of helping others reach that place. 

They bring up to not search for enlightenment, there is no I, there is no seeker etc.. or well Rupert does anyway. 

Don't get me wrong, they explain it well, really well. But make it sound so extremely simple & I am fairly certain it just goes in one ear and out the other for most people.

What are peoples opinions on the most effective way to teach non-duality?

I am pretty sure after an Eckhart Tolle seminar, everyone will just go back to living their ordinary egoic lives. 

Edited by Illusory Self

They are simple because their awakenings are shallow.

You can turn awakening into a very shallow thing if you want. Then it is much easier to teach and much more appealing to ignorant spiritual rats.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

9 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

They are simple because their awakenings are shallow.

You can turn awakening into a very shallow thing.

@Leo Gura

I am asking what are the best ways to get people to the non-dual state of awareness though. Non-duality surely is better than ego identified. 

Do you think they are doing a good job when it comes to non-dual teachings? 

What are the best ways, in your opinion? 

Imo it's more important on thinking how to elevate the consciousness of the masses. 

Edited by Illusory Self

16 minutes ago, Illusory Self said:

I am asking what are the best ways to get people to the non-dual state of awareness though.

I highly doubt that self-inquiry will get a significant number of people to awaken.

It will work for some, but not for most.

Which is why adopted a different path.

Non-duality surely is better than ego identified. 

Yes.

Edited by Leo Gura

Eckhart Tolle seems a genius to me for the concrete, simple and direct way he has of transmitting his thing. clean, clear, perfect. He reaches millions people, a revolution. He explains the ego, he has made the world understand something fundamental

the one I like the least is adyasanti. He almost says something, almost. but he says nothing.  Seems pure marketing to me

Edited by Breakingthewall

@Leo Gura

Who is the 'right' online Guru for you, the most ‘reliable’ to guide you home on your 'spiritual path?'
For me.. No one. Or, it doesn't matter.
Do you choose your Guru, does the guru choose you, or does Life choose both?
There is no Guru, no "you," and no 'spiritual path.' Just Life, unfolding. And "you" are already Home.

Probably sounds like Nahm's neo advaita? Could be but I'd rather be told that god is the most near and intimate thing to me. Not that I have to hallucinate 150 times to just get an idea of what God actually is. 

Also btw you said you gonna tone down the arrogant vibe :)

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

The most effective way is the one which is in line with your cognitive phenotype.
You will find yourself drawn towards certain teachers/teachings and less towards others. 
Both your nature and your individual conditioning will play part in that process.

Any teacher with the necessary amount if integrity and wisdom can lead you towards progress and realization.

Some high integrity teachers are imo:
- Angelo Di Lullo 
- A.H Almaas
- Adyashanti
- Leo Gura
- Frank Yang
- Peter Ralston

It also depends on what you want to achieve.
There are multiple realizations to be made and each will come with it's own set of conclusions.
Hardcore neo-adveita and no-self teachings will bring their different flavours than god-realization.

Edited by undeather

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

46 minutes ago, Breakingthewall said:

Eckhart Tolle seems a genius to me for the concrete, simple and direct way he has of transmitting his thing. clean, clear, perfect. He reaches millions people, a revolution. He explains the ego, he has made the world understand something fundamental

the one I like the least is adyasanti. He almost says something, almost. but he says nothing.  Seems pure marketing to me

Eckhart is one of my biggest influences in terms of spiritual results.

Yes, he has a very generalized and newbie approach, but that's his great strength.

He is responsible for a mass-impact, not for teaching to the rarest students.

He's a great starting point and even for going beyond a newbie phase.

Inquire in the now.

Feeling is the truest knowing ?️

7 minutes ago, billiesimon said:

Eckhart is one of my biggest influences in terms of spiritual results.

Yes, he has a very generalized and newbie approach, but that's his great strength.

He is responsible for a mass-impact, not for teaching to the rarest students.

He's a great starting point and even for going beyond a newbie phase.

@billiesimon @Breakingthewall

I agree! maybe it's more important to explain the concept of enliightenment to people as not many people know what enlightenment even is 

47 minutes ago, Someone here said:

@Leo Gura

Who is the 'right' online Guru for you, the most ‘reliable’ to guide you home on your 'spiritual path?'
For me.. No one. Or, it doesn't matter.
Do you choose your Guru, does the guru choose you, or does Life choose both?
There is no Guru, no "you," and no 'spiritual path.' Just Life, unfolding. And "you" are already Home.

Probably sounds like Nahm's neo advaita? Could be but I'd rather be told that god is the most near and intimate thing to me. Not that I have to hallucinate 150 times to just get an idea of what God actually is. 

Also btw you said you gonna tone down the arrogant vibe :)

Yes, my friend it is the most intimate thing. It just gets overlooked by the fascination with objective experience. Awareness has no objective qualities but is always aware of everything that is going on. The truth is always every present but experience seems so real, it only clouds the truth that is in the background. Imo Nahm has some flaws but each spiritual teacher has their own unique spiritual tone, so it's more important to listen to your heart and what that is saying.

Lot's of non-dual teachers have different ways of communicating the uncommunicatible as it transcends all language. 

But psychedelics can give you glimpses into your true nature but when you get out of them, you are back into egoic consciousness and it is simply a past experience.

Edited by Illusory Self

54 minutes ago, Someone here said:

No human guru is up to the task.

Psychedelics are the highest guru.

Edited by Leo Gura

47 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Psychedelics are the highest guru.

Can you help me get my hands on some ?

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

20 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Get a job? And when you get enough savings then travel or move to a country where it could be easier to get them? 

4 hours ago, Someone here said:

If you’re concerned about legality, consider trying cannabis if it’s legal in your area. 

First time I used cannabis it took me deeper than I asked for. 

"Wisdom is not in knowing all the answers, but in seeking the right questions." -Gemini AI

2 hours ago, Squeekytoy said:

I'd count that as an upside. I'm sure you know what happens when people get a load of something...

"I do not give you anything that can be turned into a philosophy." -- Osho (paraphrased from memory)

Yes , ok, but osho said things. Btw, Osho had a philosophy, be free, a rebel, etc. 

adyashanti for me, mostly he says I translate into: I am in a sacred level (i tell you humbly)

Edited by Breakingthewall

Of the names you me

On 3/31/2023 at 4:05 AM, Illusory Self said:

I want to know what everyones thoughts are on the direct path non-dual teachers such as Mooji, Rupert Spira, Eckhart Tolle etc... and all the other teachers who focus on self-inquiry

is that the most effective way to get people to non-dual states of being by just saying focus on the present moment, we all share our own being. Do you think the audience really understands what they are communicating and is it effective or could a better approach be put in place? 

I find Eckhart Tolle, Rupert Spira extremely simplifying such profound states of awareness and I am not sure if that is the most effective way of helping others reach that place. 

They bring up to not search for enlightenment, there is no I, there is no seeker etc.. or well Rupert does anyway. 

Don't get me wrong, they explain it well, really well. But make it sound so extremely simple & I am fairly certain it just goes in one ear and out the other for most people.

I am pretty sure after an Eckhart Tolle seminar, everyone will just go back to living their ordinary egoic lives. 

Of the names you mentioned, Rupert Spira is very helpful as a teacher for new people to learn meditation. From that starting point they can move into many different directions. It's a place to begin from, not to finish at.

Personally I find much lacking in the larger geopolitical schema that internet nonduality personalities lend themselves to and for that reason regard nondual spirituality teachings as unfinished. The application of metaphysics to social concerns is a major blind spot in all online spiritual communities. It is only remedied by concurrent study of political philosophy, economics and so forth, as well as with international travel, networking and active engagement on the ground to get direct insight of things.

Read my writings about the intersection of metaphysics, politics and mysticism.

Ascetus.com/authors/jwayne

@Squeekytoy People who come here from Jed McKenna are so obvious. The McKenna stench ;)

I don't see much of a difference between Adya and Tolle.

Edited by Leo Gura

12 minutes ago, Squeekytoy said:

Tell me he doesn't absolutely obliterate the whole nondual youtube circus and more.

He does his own kind of circus.

He says important things, but as far as explaining CONSCIOUSNESS or GOD, his descriptions are very basic and lacking.

You are not gonna get very conscious by writing for years in a journal. That idea is laughable to me at this point. It only makes sense until you try psychedelics.

Edited by Leo Gura

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

don't see much of a difference between Adya and Tolle.

Big difference, one is an introduction to spirituality that has reached millions, he explains the ego mind very well, the other is Neo advaita fake

On 3/30/2023 at 1:05 PM, Illusory Self said:

Great topic! It's all so nuanced. Yes some teachers teachings are shallow, but so are the brains of the students. Agree that most folks who take in Tolle (for ex.) will have a buzz for a few days maybe and just continue on as was. If the seed sprouts, the student will be back. If/when the student is ready they will search, maybe hit a round of all the teachers. The seed of seeking, want, desire for wisdom and truth has to grow. The student may be back to the teachers again and again and every time they will create more time in their fake world lives to take in more and level-up each time. I think its rare that someone fully Awakens at 100% in an instant (without plant medicine)? I think there must be some type of brain malfunction that physically and biologically shut down the thinking mind (like similar to a stroke or something like that?). I divert. Effectiveness of actually teaching non-duality - I think you have to be genuine, authentic, compassionate, big hearted in your teachings, and market the community vibe. Sadly, most people are completely miserable inside, unhappy in most areas because they are unfulfilled, consistently lacking, and eternally "waiting" for the next thing to bring them joy and satisfaction -- alas, which never ever arrives. They know nothing about introspection and self-inquiry. Perhaps they only know of "self-help" as an option, and that industry label is badly branded and tainted.