How to be wise

Ken Wilber’s take on conservatives

10 posts in this topic

In his book Theory of Everything, Ken Wilber describes today’s right-wing as a healthy version of a lower level, and the left-wing as an unhealthy version of a higher level. He sounds a lot like Don beck if you ask me.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

That's a pretty old book.

But he's also biased due to his experience with academia.

This is a consistent problem with people who react against academia and universities. They see the corruptions of the university first-hand, up close, but then they forget that universities are not at all representative of average people. And so even the dumbest things that happen on a university campus are way smarter than what is happening in a church in the Alabama.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Lol you guys should compare your conservatives to what's going on in Russian region 

Edited by Hello from Russia

@How to be wise

20 hours ago, How to be wise said:

In his book Theory of Everything, Ken Wilber describes today’s right-wing as a healthy version of a lower level, and the left-wing as an unhealthy version of a higher level. He sounds a lot like Don beck if you ask me.

So, because he sounds like Don Beck, says the left-wing is an unhealthy version of a higher level, and today's right-wing as a healthy version o a lower level, that we shouldn't take Ken Wilbur seriously? Is this what you mean?

@Hello from Russia

10 hours ago, Hello from Russia said:

Lol you guys should compare your conservatives to what's going on in Russian region 

Okay, what type, and nationality, and religion, and nationalism of conservative should we start comparing the Russian equivalent to?

Up until recently I was convinced that all right wingers are Orange and all left wingers are Green. Now I’m not so sure anymore. You just shared in your blog someone who understands reality very well (we can assume tier 2), but he is a trump supporter. And I’ve seen too many people in tier 2 who are right wingers and conservatives. I guess how aware you are doesn’t translate to which party you vote for.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@How to be wise

2 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

Up until recently I was convinced that all right wingers are Orange and all left wingers are Green. Now I’m not so sure anymore. You just shared in your blog someone who understands reality very well (we can assume tier 2), but he is a trump supporter. And I’ve seen too many people in tier 2 who are right wingers and conservatives. I guess how aware you are doesn’t translate to which party you vote for.

Of course, higher consciousness and spirituality /=/ good political takes and understanding governments and how to lead people. These are, to me, two distinct developmental paths, both seperate and sometimes overlap with each other.

15 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

I guess how aware you are doesn’t translate to which party you vote for.

It largely doesn't because the mind is a very powerful beast and people do not automatically gain political insight, knowledge, and expertise simply through enlightenment, meditation, or spiritual practice. Politics is its own specific domain.

The mind is filled with so much bias and cultural conditioning that no amount of enlightenment will fix it. And I don't think Langan has even had enlightenment.

What I notice is that most spiritual people have bad politics, because spirituality does to teach anyone how to think, it just teaches them a set of dogmatic practices and spiritual paradigms. But that is not the same as a deep study and critical thinking about how complex social systems work. Having good politics requires thinking very independently and originally. But most spiritual schools teach people to stop thinking, not systems thinking. To have good politics requires a deep study and critical study of history and social dynamics. No amount of meditation or mystical experience will get you that. For the same reason spiritual people are bad at running a large business. The Buddha would not know how to manage a company like Walmart.

Edited by Leo Gura

@Leo Gura

27 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

It largely doesn't because the mind is a very powerful beast and people do not automatically gain political insight, knowledge, and expertise simply through enlightenment, meditation, or spiritual practice. Politics is its own specific domain.

The mind is filled with so much bias and cultural conditioning that no amount of enlightenment will fix it. And I don't think Langan has even had enlightenment.

What I notice is that most spiritual people have bad politics, because spirituality does to teach anyone how to think, it just teaches them a set of dogmatic practices and spiritual paradigms. But that is not the same as a deep study and critical thinking about how complex social systems work. Having good politics requires thinking very independently and originally. But most spiritual schools teach people to stop thinking, not systems thinking. To have good politics requires a deep study and critical study of history and social dynamics. No amount of meditation or mystical experience will get you that. For the same reason spiritual people are bad at running a large business. The Buddha would not know how to manage a company like Walmart.

In regards to the Buddha though, wasn't he renowned for his debate and argument skills? He was able to convince the majority of spiritual masters of Buddhism on his side, which required some critical thinking on his part?

Is there also a tradeoff here, of having more systems thinking and less mystical/spiritual experiences? And Vice versa?

Debate skillz are not political analysis skillz.