Romanov

Transgender carries out Christian school shooting

61 posts in this topic

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/27/us/nashville-shooting-covenant-school.html

Former student. The transphobia is surely going to ignite with this one. The thing is that I’m not surprised this happened. Pastors have been talking about gays being put to death and praising past LGBT massacres. Here’s a pastor calling for gays to be shot. Could it be that Christian bigotry of LGBT played a role?

Edited by Romanov

@Romanov

23 minutes ago, Romanov said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/27/us/nashville-shooting-covenant-school.html

Former student. The transphobia is surely going to ignite with this one. The thing is that I’m not surprised this happened. Pastors have been talking about gays being put to death and praising past LGBT massacres. Here’s a pastor calling for gays to be shot. Could it be that Christian bigotry of LGBT played a role?

Yeah, that's a terrible thing to happen:

@Romanov  Body cam of the police during the shooting:

So, to your question, could it be that Christian bigotry of LGBTQ playing a role? I say probably.

However, whether or not Christian bigotry played a role, does that justify this person's action of starting a school shooting?

20 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

However, whether or not Christian bigotry played a role, does that justify this person's action of starting a school shooting?

No they could have protested or bullied that individual in a million ways and probably got great support by the majority of the population.

@Jannes

Just now, Jannes said:

No they could have protested or bullied that individual in a million ways and probably got great support by the majority of the population.

What do you mean they could have protested or bullied that individual in a million ways? Great support by the majority of the population?

Are you saying that this shooter was a victim? Is there confirmation from police or other reports that this person was being victimized?

Police haven't even confirmed whether this is a politically motivated shooting, or whether the person's gender identity had any bearing at all yet. So why are we jumping to a conclusion that this is a transgendered person, who may have been bullied or victimized?

6 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Jannes

What do you mean they could have protested or bullied that individual in a million ways? Great support by the majority of the population?

Are you saying that this shooter was a victim? Is there confirmation from police or other reports that this person was being victimized?

I mean, George Floyd was a victim regardless of his crimes wasn’t he? So why can’t this shooter be a victim also? Leftists go on about how people who snap are victims of society, bigotry, systemic racism. I agree 

Former student of a Christian school, the same religion that condemns gays to hell, what are the chances? I am curious what that manifesto has to say. Maybe this will be a wake up call for Christians to reevaluate how they interpret the Bible. 

Edited by Romanov

@Romanov

Just now, Romanov said:

I mean, George Floyd was a victim regardless of his crimes wasn’t he? So why can’t this shooter be a victim also? Leftists go on about how people who snap are victims of society, bigotry, systemic racism. I agree 

Wait, what does this have to do with BLM and George Floyd now??? Why are we pivoting and including a separate situation to contextualize this mass shooter's actions? George Floyd is a criminal and resisted arrest, had Fentanyl in his system, and died of cardiac arrest due to both lack of oxygen and fentanyl in his system. How is Floyd's situation, and BLM, have to do with explaining and justifying this Nashville school shooter's actions?

6 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Jannes

I meant the Pastor.

@Romanov

5 minutes ago, Romanov said:

Also, this Nashville shooter is Caucasian, so playing the race card in defense of this shooter's actions isn't applicable, nor is saying that this shooter was high on drugs is applicable yet. Second, we don't enough yet why this mass shooter decided to shoot up this school, so we can't justify and defend his action based on psychological abuse or bullying or even gender identity discrimination yet by the Christian school. So, how does this justify and shields the shooter's actions?

4 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Romanov

Also, this Nashville shooter is Caucasian, so playing the race card in defense of this shooter's actions isn't applicable, nor is saying that this shooter was high on drugs is applicable yet. Second, we don't enough yet why this mass shooter decided to shoot up this school, so we can't justify and defend his action based on psychological abuse or bullying or even gender identity discrimination yet by the Christian school. So, how does this justify and shields the shooter's actions?

No mass shooting is ever justified, but that doesn’t mean it couldn’t have been avoided. It doesn’t mean that something didn’t happen to that shooter which led to such a crime. 

Edited by Romanov

@Romanov

4 minutes ago, Romanov said:

No mass shooting is ever justified, but that doesn’t mean it couldn’t have been avoided. It doesn’t mean that something didn’t happen to that shooter which led to such a crime. 

Firstly, we don't know enough to conclude that this shooter was retaliating to Christian hateful speaking of his/her identity, as the TYT was alluding to here, so does it justify using this video to explain what just happened?

Secondly, TYT lacks sufficient evidence to claim that this Christian preacher has directly caused this mass shooting to happen. So, any claim from TYT on this specific point, is irrelevant until further investigation. 

Thirdly, how does this video connect to the mass shooting at all? Again, all TYT has is emotional appealing and preaching to the progressive/social masses. For all we know, this mass shooter could later be found to be motivated by a different reason or motivation. We don't know enough that the mass shooter is religiously motivated to shoot.

I want to argue against a common mistranslations in the bible. First of all, the term "homosexual" never existed in biblical times and nobody thought like this back then. In fact homosexuality was broadly accepted. The word "homosexual" had to be added later because The word did not exist in Hebrew.

The preacher used the term "sodomite" as he condemned gay people. In fact this term was intended to refer to gay people, but rather 'sellouts.' That is priests of false gods. Female priests were referred to as harlots.

Because the meaning of the words we use change over time, a literal word for word translation of holy texts will inevitably lead to falsehood in that the intended words do not carry the intended thought. The word 'sodomite ' carries the thought 'homosexual' but should mean false priest or sell out.

Furthermore, although Leviticus is the most commonly sited, the Hebrew text from which it originates is in fact very obscure. The translations of the passage very significantly. A German version of the bible interprets it as shrine prostitution and therefore reads "men shall not lie with youth" rather than "men shall not lie with men."

Shrine prostitution explains most of the examples which are interpreted as homosexuality. In my opinion, the hardest part of the bible to argue with on the grounds of translation issues is Romans chapter 1 in which Paul appears to condemn women having sex with women and men having sex with men. I could not find the Hebrew text for this section of the bible, so the best I can find is Greek. An alternative explanation is that Paul is condemning sex in a temple, and not homosexuality in general.

Of course I don't believe in the bible, but I find it interesting to read into some of this anyway.

What do you think of Romans chapter 1? Is this a clear condemnation of homosexuality or not? Specifically 1:26-27.

I identity politics stuff is just surface level. It's really about trauma, mental illness and peoples ability to totally deceive themselves. Now, maybe he was always trans or had gender dysforia since a young age and he was several abused and traumatized by what happened to him as a kid and that school. There is no reason to shoot kids and student. I know that person who did the shooting went to that christian school when he was a kid.

There is a lot of mental illness in trans community. There is a lot of mental illness in the west right now in general. 

Try not to demonize Trans people. But, also notice how much bullshit there is there.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

14 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

I identity politics stuff is just surface level. It's really about trauma, mental illness and peoples ability to totally deceive themselves. Now, maybe he was always trans or had gender dysforia since a young age and he was several abused and traumatized by what happened to him as a kid and that school. There is no reason to shoot kids and student. I know that person who did the shooting went to that christian school when he was a kid.

There is a lot of mental illness in trans community. There is a lot of mental illness in the west right now in general. 

Try not to demonize Trans people. But, also notice how much bullshit there is there.

What do you mean by there is a lot of mental illness in the trans community? Mental illness as in gender dysphoria only or mental illness for being trans without having the gender dysphoria? Reason I’m asking is because right wingers consider all trans to be mentally ill. Are you saying it the same way they are saying that or do you mean something else?

1 hour ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Romanov

Firstly, we don't know enough to conclude that this shooter was retaliating to Christian hateful speaking of his/her identity, as the TYT was alluding to here, so does it justify using this video to explain what just happened?

Secondly, TYT lacks sufficient evidence to claim that this Christian preacher has directly caused this mass shooting to happen. So, any claim from TYT on this specific point, is irrelevant until further investigation. 

Thirdly, how does this video connect to the mass shooting at all? Again, all TYT has is emotional appealing and preaching to the progressive/social masses. For all we know, this mass shooter could later be found to be motivated by a different reason or motivation. We don't know enough that the mass shooter is religiously motivated to shoot.

The main point of that video is the footage of what that pastor said only. I don’t need anything else from the young turks or their “weighing in” on it. I didn’t watch it past the clip of the pastor.

@trenton

46 minutes ago, trenton said:

I want to argue against a common mistranslations in the bible. First of all, the term "homosexual" never existed in biblical times and nobody thought like this back then. In fact homosexuality was broadly accepted. The word "homosexual" had to be added later because The word did not exist in Hebrew.

The preacher used the term "sodomite" as he condemned gay people. In fact this term was intended to refer to gay people, but rather 'sellouts.' That is priests of false gods. Female priests were referred to as harlots.

Because the meaning of the words we use change over time, a literal word for word translation of holy texts will inevitably lead to falsehood in that the intended words do not carry the intended thought. The word 'sodomite ' carries the thought 'homosexual' but should mean false priest or sell out.

Furthermore, although Leviticus is the most commonly sited, the Hebrew text from which it originates is in fact very obscure. The translations of the passage very significantly. A German version of the bible interprets it as shrine prostitution and therefore reads "men shall not lie with youth" rather than "men shall not lie with men."

Shrine prostitution explains most of the examples which are interpreted as homosexuality. In my opinion, the hardest part of the bible to argue with on the grounds of translation issues is Romans chapter 1 in which Paul appears to condemn women having sex with women and men having sex with men. I could not find the Hebrew text for this section of the bible, so the best I can find is Greek. An alternative explanation is that Paul is condemning sex in a temple, and not homosexuality in general.

Of course I don't believe in the bible, but I find it interesting to read into some of this anyway.

What do you think of Romans chapter 1? Is this a clear condemnation of homosexuality or not? Specifically 1:26-27.

That's true, I agree that they did have to add the word homosexual as there were no Hebrew equivalents for same sexual intercourses, as far as I know.

Yes, when the preacher was calling gays by Sodomites, that's another example of misusing and misapplying language, using a word too often out of context that it distorts and erodes the intended and original meaning of a word. Lost in translation, erosion of intended meaning, and the philosopher phone message game, all that are examples of language losing meanings. I could be wrong, but isn't Sodomite and Sodomy very similar in the original?

Going by what you've said of Romans chapter 1, since we don't have the Hebrew equivalent the argument is very hard to resolve in the grounds of accurate translation by original sourcing. With the Greek translation it's interesting, because keeping in mind that in that time period the Greek culture were pretty liberal when it comes to sexual relations, as well as the Roman cultures too, I think prior to Emperor Nero making Christianity the official religion? So, because most Romans and Greeks were polytheistic in their worldview then, it's safe to assume that by worshipping multiple deities they're likely to practice open relationships too, as most Paganist tribes/cultures have more polyamorous relationships out of survival. So, it's likely that the Greek translation is condemning sex in temple grounds rather than homosexuality. Either case it's ironic to condemn homosexual sex or sex in a sacred temple or even any sex wherever and however, as some will have sex if discreet, also coming from Greek/Roman culture when they're mostly perverts back then.

@Thought Art

52 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

Yeah, I agree there's a disproportionate amount of mental illness in most specific communities and in general in the western hemisphere, some in eastern hemisphere too. Now after this event, there's some political ramifications with gun ownership laws in Nashville, and the weapons were legally obtained by the shooter.

One problem I'll anticipate, is Biden stating how he'll plan on banning specific classes of firearms after this. However, the real issue is the legal process of obtaining a firearm, and the processes of obtaining a gun legally. I think he'll have to campaign a way for more restriction via psychological testing first, and either annual review or every 6 months of reviewing the gun owner's psychology and capacity, similarly to doing a vehicle or motorcycle test annually.

Also, nice profile pic. Are you happy with the change? 

This is also a perfect opportunity to look at blatant right-wing double standards.

Never let a good tragedy go to waste. 

IMG_6326.jpeg