Oso

Unclear If I've Discovered My Purpose Or Not

4 posts in this topic

For around a year now I've been working on figuring out my life purpose. I've done a multitude of things from Leo's course to self refection exercises and even death contemplation. Whilst they were helpful, I haven't found the thing which clicks. I've discovered and created solid purposes here and there which seem convincing but don't seem to have the magnitude to be that thing. None of them feel like my true reason for being. 

The reason I'm stating all of this is because I seek some clarity whether it be through others who have had similar situations or those who simply know how to help. If I'm digging my own hole or am swimming in self deception that I can't see, I would hope for it to be called out here without reserve. There's this mental fog which is prohibiting me from progressing and it seems I've been on a self destructive path trying to find my purpose lately. I don't know what to do or where to go anymore. I just want to be purposeful in life and now I'm not even sure if that's the right thing to do. 

Try new things, have/create new experiences.

You don't know how many things you will pursue. There will be things that you need to do and others that you want to do or maybe one thing, idk. One way of solving the problem is by doing something at first even if you are not passionate about it. Be open-minded on how to live your life. Often you need to think through your problems for a week or more.

E.g. I have learned beatboxing, still learning piano, played soccer and basketball and learned some skills, have been a part of a choir and had vocal lessons, learned some acting, have been to dancing classes, worked on my physique, learned some poetry and won a poetry competition, ... . And now I'm a technical writer. :D

Life couldn't have been more interesting to me.

I haven't watched the LP and haven't read motivational books. So, don't take my opinion as the only way.

Edited by Understander

4 hours ago, Understander said:

Try new things, have/create new experiences.

You don't know how many things you will pursue. There will be things that you need to do and others that you want to do or maybe one thing, idk. One way of solving the problem is by doing something at first even if you are not passionate about it. Be open-minded on how to live your life. Often you need to think through your problems for a week or more.

E.g. I have learned beatboxing, still learning piano, played soccer and basketball and learned some skills, have been a part of a choir and had vocal lessons, learned some acting, have been to dancing classes, worked on my physique, learned some poetry and won a poetry competition, ... . And now I'm a technical writer. :D

Life couldn't have been more interesting to me.

I haven't watched the LP and haven't read motivational books. So, don't take my opinion as the only way.

Thank you for the advice. I don't have much to say accept that I do see its truth. I'll put things into action and see what the results are for myself. 

Nothing seems to go according to plan but if I make progress, I'll let you know what worked and what didn't for me. 

Edited by Oso

On 3/28/2023 at 3:42 AM, Oso said:

Thank you for the advice.

Glad to be of help. :)

On 3/28/2023 at 3:42 AM, Oso said:

Nothing seems to go according to plan but if I make progress

I don't know what specific advice to give for your situation. Maybe others can.

All I can say is that in every situation you should be honest with yourself. Seek the truth of your situation. Eventually, by thinking it through, you will know what to do, without anybody's help generally.

I don't like listening to others' advice generally. It's like not respecting my experience. I rather waste some time, go through it and think about it. People get annoyed around me a lot :D. If I get to the conclusion that I need some advice then I will do that, because I truly know that I need it.

Maybe, my advice wouldn't work for you, so be careful. People can give you advice and knowingly or unknowingly sell their worldview to you.

Basically, I'm giving advice about advice. So, be careful about that too :D.

Edited by Understander