StarStruck

Weird movie: Annihilation

25 posts in this topic

What is the meaning of this movie? Last part of the movie was so psychedelic. It doesn’t make sense. 

In Tate we trust

It's the best artistic rendition of a bad trip I've ever experienced.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

I think the main goal was to show a life form truly alien to our race.

Being which operates totally beyond human comprehension and categories.

You could probably come up with many theories regarding what exactly happened at the end, but I believe it's secondary to the whole picture.

That being said, I also was confused when watching it for the first time.

Edited by Ropuch7
removing unnecessary empty lines

On 3/25/2023 at 9:27 AM, StarStruck said:

It doesn’t make sense.

It is perfect.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

11 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It is perfect.

Perfectly nonsensical like your alien consciousness ?

On 26-3-2023 at 0:44 AM, Carl-Richard said:

It's the best artistic rendition of a bad trip I've ever experienced.

17 hours ago, Ropuch7 said:

I think the main goal was to show a life form truly alien to our race.

Being which operates totally beyond human comprehension and categories.

You could probably come up with many theories regarding what exactly happened at the end, but I believe it's secondary to the whole picture.

That being said, I also was confused when watching it for the first time.

They go into the bubble and go to sleep and wake up. So probably the bubble is a paradigm of psychedelic consciousness of some sort. It is just that the end didn’t make any sense. 

Edited by StarStruck

In Tate we trust

@StarStruck Go watch a Disney movie. That's more your level.

One of the better movies out there. It should get your brain juice flowing on death, rebirth and the self.

@Leo Gura I watched a couple of years ago. I didn't see anything remarkable in it except for the visuals. So I am wondering why do you like this movie?

@Leo Gura could you fully understand the movie? Whats your insights 

My feeling Was the makers of this movie intentionaly confuse the viewer without giving hints of explanations. I assume like in the Series of lost they even have no explanations for themselves, they just want you to think about it but there is no deep explanations behind. Just random weirdness

I have the feeling this movie is only understandable on a high dose of DPT :)

Edited by OBEler

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Go watch a Disney movie. That's more your level.

Cartoons are great, maybe the Disney ones are not the deepest.

But... Song of the Sea, or the Wolfwalkers, those cartoons depict life consciously. And in a form that even 5 yo kid can follow. Pure beauty to watch on a psychedelic.

Guys, you should read the novels it was based on. The Southern Reach Trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer. If you liked the movie you're in for a treat here.

3 hours ago, OBEler said:

I assume like in the Series of lost they even have no explanations for themselves

That show is full of explanations. But it's also full of unanswered questions.

In the end the viewer is creating the meaning, like with all art. Does it even matter what the artist wanted the meaning to be like? Do we want to restrict the meaning of art to only what the artists head in mind?

7 hours ago, Girzo said:

But... Song of the Sea, or the Wolfwalkers, those cartoons depict life consciously. And in a form that even 5 yo kid can follow. Pure beauty to watch on a psychedelic.

Did you watch Soul? We went to the cinema to see it as a joke to see "movie for kids" and it ended up as one of my favourite movies ever.

In the Vast Expanse everything that arises is Lively Awakened Awareness.

23 minutes ago, Arthogaan said:

Did you watch Soul? We went to the cinema to see it as a joke to see "movie for kids" and it ended up as one of my favourite movies ever.

I did, the ending is vey good!

I love how an insult towards cartoon movies turned into praise towards cartoon movies. Tom & Jerries is the most light hearted yin and yang shit you can find out there. 

In Tate we trust

Animated movies ("for children") can be fucking awesome and much more profound than non-animated ones.

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish made a huge impact on me and almost gave me a panic attack (the titular cat does in fact experience one). Literally one of my favourite movies, it's so cool AND implausibly mature. It inspired me just at the right time to experience awakenings which required a lot of overcoming of fear.

https://letterboxd.com/film/puss-in-boots-the-last-wish/ --> Letterboxd reviews don't lie, baby

39 minutes ago, Arthogaan said:

Soul was great!

Edited by Sincerity

I wasn't insulting cartoon movies, I was insulting the crap Disney makes, like superhero movies and Star Wars.

Edited by Leo Gura

2 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I wasn't insulting cartoon movies, I was insulting the crap Disney makes, like superhero movies and Star Wars.

@Leo Gura but you are both Disney and a superhero sir ??

21 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

At the end we are all making up shit. 

In Tate we trust

12 hours ago, StarStruck said:

They go into the bubble and go to sleep and wake up. So probably the bubble is a paradigm of psychedelic consciousness of some sort. It is just that the end didn’t make any sense. 

Imagine a parasitic life form that speeds up evolution and maximizes the diversification of life, but it also speeds up the process of dying, because dying is a part of evolution, hence you add a relative propensity towards annihilation, expressed through the human avatar as a dysfunctional hazed-out state of wanting to return to the creator (like some freaky out-of-control LSD trip). That is just evolution or God doing its thing, but it's a perplexing thing for humans who are comfortable in their paradigm of living semi-long lives as civilized Martini-drinking drones, but yes, that is just a humancentric bias. There is no reason why life couldn't work like that (and why the ultimate expression of that can't be some kind of hyper-dimensional DMT elf that floats across galaxies and nests on various planets).

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.