LSD-Rumi

How to raise a cat if you are vegan?

35 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Lila9 said:

What about a premium quality pet food? There is a difference between low quality pet food and high quality pet food.

I mean sure, it's probably better. I just remember being into this topic a few years ago (mostly regarding dogs) and there was a youtube channel that I liked that did reviews of pet foods and basically all of them, including "premium" brands were not good.

2 hours ago, Lila9 said:

From vegan pov, from a wider perspective, it doesn't make sense to kill on purpose many animals only to support one pet, especially if the pet can live and thrive without much meat or any. Like dogs. And apperantly cats either. But it requires some understanding of food in order to give the right diet. Same like with humans. 

I say what it's like from a vegan pov, and even for vegan pet owners there is no one right answer. 

I generally agree. My only concern is that it's really hard to know what is the right diet for your pet. Like you might think that you dog is thriving on whatever diet you give to him and then he will die 5 years earlier than he could have and you will never even know about it.

2 hours ago, Lila9 said:

It's not always something that people plan. You can be in a situation (happened to almost everyone at least once in their life, I bet) when you find a sick poor or dying stray cat or dog and no one wants it, and maybe you know that you can give it, not necessary a luxurious, but a better life than the animal rescue shelter who even might kill the animal if they won't find them home soon (most of them). There are bunch of homeless cats and dogs and too little people to adopt them. The most humane thing to do is not to buy any pet but to rescue them and give them home and a safe place to live. Cats and dogs are domesticated animals who can't survive in wild alone. Unlike other animals like parrots and rats.

Okay, that's a good point.

*Parrot also probably won't survive in the wild unless you live near the Amazon rainforest or something like that, haha. I am not sure about rats. I think pet rats are different from the ones that live in in streets.

1 hour ago, Something Funny said:

Parrot also probably won't survive in the wild unless you live near the Amazon rainforest or something like that, haha. I am not sure about rats. I think pet rats are different from the ones that live in in streets.

Intresting.

Let Love In

I generally agree. My only concern is that it's really hard to know what is the right diet for your pet. Like you might think that you dog is thriving on whatever diet you give to him and then he will die 5 years earlier than he could have and you will never even know about it.

Yes this is why it's importent to always track pet's health and modify the diet according to it.

It also depends on the genetics of the pet and common health problems that might occur in the breed. That's another con to purebred pets (apart from that buying dogs/cats is unethical) because they tend to be less healthier than mixed breed pets, and suffer from more health problems. 

I mean sure, it's probably better. I just remember being into this topic a few years ago (mostly regarding dogs) and there was a youtube channel that I liked that did reviews of pet foods and basically all of them, including "premium" brands were not good.

Intresting. I'll make more research about it.

The problem is that many low quality food companies write on their alluring packges 'premium' and sell it at high prices, and people buy it because they think it's good. But what really matters is the ingredients list.

Many countries including US have no regulations and basically every manufacturer can claim that their food is premium without legal consequences.

Edited by Lila9

Let Love In

6 minutes ago, Lila9 said:

apart from that buying dogs/cats is unethical

This is an interesting point of view. So you think that in the future (in an ideal world) nobody should be allowed to have pets at all.

Also, do you mean the process of breeding and selling / buying a pet is unethical in general or do you mean dogs and cats specifically because they need to eat meat?

Having a pet is sadistic, no different then slavery.

On 25/03/2023 at 6:14 PM, Devin said:

LOL, now vegans have plants as pets...... AND THEY EAT THEIR PLANTS!!!??

Oct 26, 2022 — The majority of respondents in a recent poll agree that plants are the new pets. This

@Devin ?

4 hours ago, Devin said:

plant-stroller-thumb.jpg

?

I can't stop laughing at these ahaha

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

6 minutes ago, Ulax said:

@Devin ?

?

I can't stop laughing at these ahaha

I know, me either.

plant-stroller-8831.jpg

15 minutes ago, Devin said:

Having a pet is sadistic, no different then slavery.

Lool if you start throwing out food out the window you’ll have 5 new slaves every month that come back on their own ‘free will’

Just now, MarkKol said:

Lool if you start throwing out food out the window you’ll have 5 new slaves every month that come back on their own ‘free will’

Just don't do this to those strays.

s-l1600.jpg

2 hours ago, Something Funny said:

This is an interesting point of view. So you think that in the future (in an ideal world) nobody should be allowed to have pets at all.

Also, do you mean the process of breeding and selling / buying a pet is unethical in general or do you mean dogs and cats specifically because they need to eat meat?

No, I don't think that in an ideal world nobody should be allowed to have pets at all. I think that pets, especially dogs and cats will be with us forever and that's fine, there is no problem with that.

The problem with the purebred cats and dogs industry is that this industry is a business and it doesn't care much about ethics. It cares about money. Purebred dogs and cats are raised in poor conditions, usually the females are over-breeded in order to make more money which cause them enormous suffering, or the pet breeders breed mother with her son or two siblings which leads to offspring who born to be sick and disabled throughout their lives or even to experience an early and unexpected death (and the people who buy them many times unaware to that). Usually purebred pets tend to be much more sick than mixed breed pets because lack of variety in their genes. Still, people buy them in very high prices because they purebred. Many people think that purebred pets are better and superior to the mixed breed. But the mixed breed are much more healthier, stronger and more physically resilient than purebred pets. The streets, and animals shelters are full with mixed breed pets.

For a person who wants to make a conscious and humane choice, better to adopt a cat or a dog from the animal shelter, for free or for a low price than to buy a purebred dog or a cat and support this cruel industry.

Maybe there are some ethical pet breeders, still, why not, instead of buying a dog/cat and support this industry that makes money from reproducing poor animals, adopting a cat or a dog from the animal shelter and save their life from loneliness and potential death?

Let Love In

7 minutes ago, Lila9 said:

For a person who wants to make a conscious and humane choice, better to adopt a cat or a dog from the animal shelter, for free or for a low price than to buy a purebred dog or a cat and support this cruel industry.

100% agree with that, but I also think that different breeds should have a place to exist. Border Collies are amazing for example and are a quite healthy breed.

And yeah, the industry could be much more conscious and ethical of course.

18 minutes ago, Something Funny said:

Border Collies are amazing for example and are a quite healthy breed.

Lol you remind me of this show:

Let Love In

In a hundred years they'll look down on us for having 'pets'.

Rare Historical Photos

https://rarehistoricalphotos.com › h...

Human zoos: The Western world's shameful secret, 1900-1958

Human zoos could be found in Paris, Hamburg, Antwerp, Barcelona, London, Milan, and New York City. Carl Hagenbeck, a merchant in wild animals

images (1).jpeg

@LSD-Rumi

1) Why are you vegan? Are you afraid of being punished by a superior force?

2) Why have a cat, why not have a child instead?

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.