Ima Freeman

Urge to go extreme with spiritual practice

13 posts in this topic

Sometimes I'm confronted with the situations in which I have an urge to go extreme with spiritual practice.
Mostly, when I'm about to do some distractions/recreations.

What I mean with that is no more comfort seeking, no more gratification of the senses, no more distraction. Investment solely into consciousness.

It's like a call from my conscience: "Do not waste your energy on recreations" "Focus on the essential" "Go for the highest" "The clock is ticking"

I did not yet set up a definite life goal, so I do surf the internet for hours to enjoy art, or to help family members, or to go to music festivals with friends, or to drink alcohol and socialize.
Stuff that's not contributing to pure consciousness/clarity/presence/.... 

I know that I have neurotic tendencies and that I'm willing to put myself through work in a way that is more hard than smart. 

Should I just overcome all past recreational habits? Should I do sadhana for most of the time?

Any extreme, including extreme spirituality, is a red flag. It's good that you recognize the neurotic tendencies of your mind. That suggests you have already realized some space between yourself and your thoughts.

Neuroticism loves extremes. It is based on the false belief that there is a linear correlation between effort and positive results. There is a positive correlation to a certain point, but beyond that more effort actually produces negative results.

There is wisdom in moderation. Meditate, contemplate, and engage in other spiritual endeavors that deepen your understanding of yourself. Then take a break and enjoy life, finding ways to apply the lessons learned from your spiritual practice. This balanced approach between being and doing will smooth out your spiritual progression, and make it more sustainable.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

There's literally nothing stopping You.

There's nothing stopping you from enjoying God every moment of Your Life.

It doesn't matter what You're doing.

Just enjoy Yourself.

@Moksha

Thank you, your answer is very helpful.

I heard of certain zen monks who did meditation exercises for 20 hours a day. Really putting themselves into it.
Of course I cannot compare myself to a master with decades of experience.

Do you know of good signs of going overboard?

@tuku747

How about:

anxiety
hurry
pain
fatigue
fomo
:
:
:

Enjoyment needs certain conditions

It can be your personality type. Maybe one of your sign in the astrological chart is scorpio.

4 hours ago, Ima Freeman said:

Do you know of good signs of going overboard?

With some practice, you will develop a reliable internal compass that will help you recognize what is needed. I know that sounds vague, but the details of spiritual practice vary for each person. The intensity can ebb and flow even within the trajectory of your own progression.

For example, after his awakening Tolle spent a couple of years sitting on park benches and simply observing life unfold, with new eyes. Then one day he felt an overwhelming internal mandate to move from being to doing. That is when he began writing "The Power of Now". 

I have found the same to be true for my own spiritual path. There have been extended periods of intense inner exploration, followed by periods of integrating newly realized insights. I have learned to listen to my inner voice on this. You (i.e., your ultimate nature) will guide yourself (i.e., your person) along the path. There may be gurus/teachers that you meet at different milestones, but ultimately you are the sadguru (Sanskrit for "true guru").

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

@Ima Freeman A very important aspect of spirituality is enjoying the universe you have created. Life it is not just about becoming more conscious, life is about enjoying life!

Also don't force yourself to do things you are not capable of. You will end up hurting yourself. 

The spiritual work should be gradual and long. You enjoy life in the process.

Edited by LSD-Rumi

6 hours ago, Ima Freeman said:

@tuku747

How about:

anxiety
hurry
pain
fatigue
fomo
:
:
:

Enjoyment needs certain conditions

You can defend these conditions if you wish.

I recommend You feel into them, understanding these sensations and emotions, accepting them fully as part of You. As teachers, as guidance systems, as methods of raising one's awareness. Then You will begin to find appreciation for these aspects of Self.

Give thanks, always. Everything is a gift for your evolution/learning.

Especially the dark aspects.

Edited by tuku747

17 hours ago, LSD-Rumi said:

The spiritual work should be gradual and long. You enjoy life the process.

Amen

16 hours ago, tuku747 said:

You can defend these conditions if you wish.

I recommend You feel into them, understanding these sensations and emotions, accepting them fully as part of You. As teachers, as guidance systems, as methods of raising one's awareness. Then You will begin to find appreciation for these aspects of Self.

Give thanks, always. Everything is a gift for your evolution/learning.

Especially the dark aspects.

I don't necessarily defend these conditions, but how I would define enjoyment is as an perceiving of well-being.

I totally agree that the dark aspects are powerful teachers. That I have already witnessed several times.

If you have such an urge thats great! That is the most beautifull urge.

Go deep. Meditate as many hours a day as you are capable of lets say for a month.

After such period you will then ground yourself and decide if that is something you want to pursue more often.

No need to go slow when your soul wants to go fast.:x

In the Vast Expanse everything that arises is Lively Awakened Awareness.

3 hours ago, Arthogaan said:

No need to go slow when your soul wants to go fast.:x

+1

I share similar views as Arthogaan just couldn't articulate it like he does :)

I would add that going overboard with sensual pleasures is what u should worry about. To worry that you'll overmeditate yourself is a bit cringe to me :D

Edited by Salvijus