Carl-Richard

Why we need religion

199 posts in this topic

@Carl-Richard

7 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

There is no absolute interpretation. The best you can do is to know which interpretations you want to use for which goals you want to pursue.

So, basically I have to gain correct alignment between my interpretations and my goals in order to gain clarity of my own grand narrative?

1 minute ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Carl-Richard

So, basically I have to gain correct alignment between my interpretations and my goals in order to gain clarity of my own grand narrative?

That's a weird twist, but sure.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

14 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

With that out of the way, what are your thoughts on this grand narrative the caller was describing?

Its amazing. I never thought of it this way. My first reaction was to look up who this guy is :D

@Carl-Richard

1 hour ago, Carl-Richard said:

That's a weird twist, but sure.

Well, maybe it's a weird twist, but it's like the other way of gaining clarity of your life purpose or worldview, reverse engineer based on your behaviors and thinking in the outer world first and then going inwards to your intrinsic motivations or internal values, starting from the extrinsic motivations or external values, right?

We need a new religion to hold humanity together

PurpleTree-ism

Edited by PurpleTree

1 hour ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Carl-Richard

Well, maybe it's a weird twist, but it's like the other way of gaining clarity of your life purpose or worldview, reverse engineer based on your behaviors and thinking in the outer world first and then going inwards to your intrinsic motivations or internal values, starting from the extrinsic motivations or external values, right?

Can you say that in simpler words?

@Carl-Richard

7 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Can you say that in simpler words?

For example, I've been playing chess lots of time, gained trophies, gained lots of records and wins, all the external rewards=eventually me realizing I really value chess. Another scenario, is if I'm intrinsically motivated about chess beforehand, before all the wins and the rewards, and even if I go pursue chess and eventually retire I still will love, resonate or be passionate of chess things. See?

2 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Carl-Richard

For example, I've been playing chess lots of time, gained trophies, gained lots of records and wins, all the external rewards=eventually me realizing I really value chess. Another scenario, is if I'm intrinsically motivated about chess beforehand, before all the wins and the rewards, and even if I go pursue chess and eventually retire I still will love, resonate or be passionate of chess things. See?

How does this relate to the discussion?

@Carl-Richard

1 minute ago, Carl-Richard said:

Basically, it's this question: WHAT GOVERNS THE INTERNAL WORLD VERSUS THE EXTERNAL WORLD?

Other questions from this are:

Is there a one way or two way intersection point? Like I'm extrinsically motivated or intrinsically motivated?

@Carl-Richard

13 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

For example, my bias is that I'm Christian and a protestant, so the Holy Bible, a cross or cross neckless and an image of Jesus Christ are external anchors that I associate meanings overtime, such that when I read the holy bible or wear a cross neckless the external object changes my state quickly. The other way around, AKA Jesus Christ talks to me, or GOD, or an Angel talks to me through some prayer, that's like an internal seeing/hearing/feeling I'm experiencing, which can effect my outer see/hearing/feeling of the external world, I.E some relief from a difficult situation, or relief when I forgive or something.

@Danioover9000 I don't know what you're talking about.

37 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Carl-Richard

Are you kidding me?

No ?

"And, when all is said and done, here is the last word: worship in reverence the one True God, and keep His commands, for this is what God expects of every person."

- Ecclesiastes 12:13

Amen!

:P 

Edited by UnbornTao

@Carl-Richard

1 hour ago, Carl-Richard said:

No ?

Yes, you are kidding me, because you know what I mean when you look at a sexy image and have a boner, and when you think of a sexy image and have a boner. The first is the external influencing your internal state of being, while the later is your internal mental imagery influencing outer behavior.

@Danioover9000 I don't see how it relates to the discussion.

Edited by Carl-Richard

@Leo Gura! I think I'm being gaslighted! I've explained before to some moderators when you hold a physical object, in the external world, if it's meaningful, like the cross in my hand, then it can change my state of being and mind. That connection is external to internal change of state influence yes? There's no way that I'm not describing something else? Because I'm being trolled and gaslight into thinking that I'm talking gibberish and unrelated topics that derail the main thread, but I am being relevant here, I brought in my bias as a Christian, I said that the holy bible/cross holds meaning to me due to my background, and that external anchoring puts me into states of consciousness that are religious or faithful. Am I being wrong or inaccurate in describing this external anchoring? I also have described that it's possible to change your internal state to effect some ideal behavior, like when you think of happy things, you feel happy, and then you smile, something simple like that.

@Danioover9000 I think I understand what just happened: your point about the relativity of language seemed like a tangential point, but I still responded to it. Then you somehow tried to shoehorn that point back into the discussion, which is why I said "that's a weird twist". Then I thought we were moving on from that tangent, but you apparently kept rephrasing that same point in a more verbose way, and that is what threw me off.

Edited by Carl-Richard