patricknotstar

girlfriend spends too much money or..

8 posts in this topic

Am i just too damn cheap.

My girlfriend and I get along pretty well but one place our mindsets complelty diverge is how we view money. To me money is something that should be spent on bare necessities and everything you save should be put into assets, real estate, gold, stocks, bitcoin lol etc..

Ive always been great with my money, that is till I met my girlfriend a year ago...

To her money is simply a tool to gain new experiences. She wants to travel, try new foods, go on excursions. Things I don't care about at all. 

I find myself spending more than I ever have. It's straining our relationship because I can't hind my frustration as i'm forced to spend money on things I couldn't care less about when I could be putting it to use on investments. 

Am I just cheap and living the wrong way, before I met her I never went out , I don't spend money on food , I never travelled, I'll wear my clothes down till there rags. But it makes me happy and saving has allowed me to have my own house and car. 

Everytime I try to approach her about viewing money differently she gets mad, one time I recommended she read the "Rich dad poor dad" book by robert kiyosaki and she got offended. 

Edited by patricknotstar

Sounds like you are unusually cheap. However this can be a good thing if you need to build up a savings for important purposes like starting a biz.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Sounds like it could become a compatibility issue at some point.

Although maybe there are benefits to be had in spending more especially this bit 

1 hour ago, patricknotstar said:

before I met her I never went out , I don't spend money on food , I never travelled, I'll wear my clothes down till there rags

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Besides things like a car and house, what are you saving your money for?

If you are saving it just to hoard it like a dragon and never spend it, what's the point in even having it? You can have some super cool experiences just by spending a bit of money.

It's possible you reach old age with a bunch of money in the bank and realise that you're now full of regrets for things you could've done with it but now can't because you're too old.

Edited by something_else

Some people are happy by spending money for exploring and living a full livestyle.

Some people are happy by saving money, living by minimalist principles and having a financial freedom. 

It is not wrong to be frugal if it makes you happy. Accept yourself bro :x

In the Vast Expanse everything that arises is Lively Awakened Awareness.

@patricknotstar the last line is actually funny.

I actually have similar views to you as well. But I have something called burn money. Like every month, I spend like some money just to spend it. If I don't do that then I will save for couple of months and spend like a huge amount on something else.

If you are in America and she's doing 50/50 that's fine IMO, but if you are paying for everything, then set a boundary as to how much money you are comfortable burning. 

Try to spend 25-50% of your income after tax. It’s good for the economy.

Remember! You don’t get rich from saving.

Edited by Spiral

8 hours ago, patricknotstar said:

bitcoin lol

DSPWEjYWAAYJTD7.jpg

Haha, she introduced you to spending money on experience.

Introduce her to invest money in assets. Set up some investment plans together with her. You can start low, maybe she will enjoy it?

When she invests money in assets she can't spend it anymore on experiences. Win win.