DefinitelyNotARobot

"Mitgefühl"

6 posts in this topic

"Mitgefühl" is a German word and means compassion. The word consists of "Mit" which means "with" and "Gefühl" which means feeling. So you could roughly translate it to "to feel with". I think it's an interesting word, because it illustrates why a lot of people behave the way that they do.

Why does a troll, troll other people? It's because they're looking for compassion! Saying that in English doesn't make a lot of sense, but when you say that they're looking for "Mitgefühl", or in other words, they're looking for others to feel with them, then it starts to make much more sense.

A troll is a person with a lot of suffering, and they're projecting that suffering onto other people in an attempt to get others to feel what they're feeling. All they want is compassion. All they want is love. But they have a twisted understanding of how to get these things and thus a troll becomes a troll. The troll is just an identity they use to get compassion.

So skip the troll and address the issues that give rise to that identity, this is how you actually touch a persons heart.

I just wanted to share this small insight with y'all! 

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

beep boop

The German language is next level, there are so many cool words and phrases, I collect a lot and will make a topic about it in the future.

For example when i went for a walk in the forest a few days ago and someone came towards me, i was aware that there was nothing but me and she greeted me with "grüß gott" which translated means "greetings god". Old people in Bavaria often say that as a greeting. Another one I really like is "servus" which means something like "I am your servant" or "I serve God".

@acidgoofy It makes me wonder what other kinds of insightful words there are in other languages. It would be cool to have a glossary that explores words from all over the world and their unique meaning/the insights behind them! It'd probably be hell to write that thing though. ?

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

beep boop

Nice. It's quite similar in polish. The word "współczucie" means compassion and can be broken down into "współ" (co-) and "czucie" (feeling). Co-feeling. Feeling together. :)

Compassion has a very similar etymological background.

(lat.) compati  = suffer with

Lowkey confused about how people always idolize the german language. I honestly get triggered when I read authors use german words that translate perfectly into English.

@acidgoofy pretty sure "grüß Gott" means more something like "may God bless you"

Edited by Godhead