Demeter

A NYT article on Modi that is worth reading.

3 posts in this topic

It is on the Indian prime minister, Modi. (Ha, I misspelt the word 'minister' and it turned it into 'Monster'). I shudder at how fascist leaders all over the world undermine democracy while claiming to be its keepers.

www.nytimes.com/2023/03/18/opinion/modi-india.html

India was never a democracy. There was rampant corruption. Tax-money evaporating into thin air, politicians getting filthy rich off of taxpayer-money. And them using a single-point percentage of that money for development. And, nothing would get done, of course. There is corruption at every level of the government here. 

With Modi, at least, things are getting done. You can't really solve the corruption-problem overnight. But, if people get something for what they're putting in, they're more empowered and resilient. Conversations about long-standing gridlocked issues are happening now, at least, thanks to him. Because he's stepping to the forefront and getting shit done. 

@mr_engineer Having a democracy that has systemic corruption problems does not mean having no democracy.

I'm not familiar with Indian politics, but you gotta start somewhere.