LSD-Rumi

Suffering is the best teacher

53 posts in this topic

The phrase “suffering is the best teacher” means that when a person experiences real chronic suffering, such as a chronic physical or mental illness that lasts for years or is subjected to exhausting torture for long periods, they realize several things:

They realize that life can be very, very harsh, and that the hell that unbelievers are promised is on this earth. A person thinks about how much suffering creatures have been subjected to since the beginning of creation. Animals are eaten , women are raped and enslaved, and men are tortured. So, the universe is not a simple game or a place where beauty alone exists. The universe is a very dangerous place.

This realization creates in the person great love and tenderness towards all creatures, and he becomes very aware of others and the desire to help them and reduce their suffering.

The person becomes very strong and brave, as the saying goes, what does not kill you makes you stronger. Fears disappear, skin becomes tough and rough, and the heart becomes as brave as a lion.

The person becomes more mature, and begins to seek the finest and most beautiful things in life.

It is important to note that suffering does not always lead to these results. Suffering can work the opposite way, it can create a monster and a devil instead of an angelic person. So what is the secret? Why might suffering work the opposite way? The secret is accepting suffering. If you do not accept suffering and reject it, it will hurt you badly and turn you into a monster whose goal is to serve and protect itself.

Thank you for sharing. I am observing suffering as I’m writing this post. There is definitely something bigger going on here. 

"Wisdom is not in knowing all the answers, but in seeking the right questions." -Gemini AI

Suffering has made me a more closed up person. What a great teacher. Not.

24 minutes ago, Holykael said:

I feel that when you break free from suffering, you can connect to others who are suffering on a deeper level. 

"Wisdom is not in knowing all the answers, but in seeking the right questions." -Gemini AI

3 hours ago, LSD-Rumi said:

The secret is accepting suffering. If you do not accept suffering and reject it, it will hurt you badly and turn you into a monster whose goal is to serve and protect itself.

I agree, but suffering is limited and not the only way.

Suffering is a harsh shortcut for understanding love.

Edited by Understander

1 hour ago, LSD-Rumi said:

The phrase “suffering is the best teacher” means that when a person experiences real chronic suffering, such as a chronic physical or mental illness that lasts for years or is subjected to exhausting torture for long periods, they realize several things:

They realize that life can be very, very harsh, and that the hell that unbelievers are promised is on this earth. A person thinks about how much suffering creatures have been subjected to since the beginning of creation. Animals are eaten , women are raped and enslaved, and men are tortured. So, the universe is not a simple game or a place where beauty alone exists. The universe is a very dangerous place.

This realization creates in the person great love and tenderness towards all creatures, and he becomes very aware of others and the desire to help them and reduce their suffering.

The person becomes very strong and brave, as the saying goes, what does not kill you makes you stronger. Fears disappear, skin becomes tough and rough, and the heart becomes as brave as a lion.

The person becomes more mature, and begins to seek the finest and most beautiful things in life.

It is important to note that suffering does not always lead to these results. Suffering can work the opposite way, it can create a monster and a devil instead of an angelic person. So what is the secret? Why might suffering work the opposite way? The secret is accepting suffering. If you do not accept suffering and reject it, it will hurt you badly and turn you into a monster whose goal is to serve and protect itself.

Wow thanks for this post. I really needed this words 

@LSD-Rumi Well said. The majority of spiritual seekers want an easy resolution to their suffering. I feel this is why 5-MeO is so enticing. People are convinced that if only they see clearly enough, their suffering will dissolve.

In truth, realizing that you are not the mind is only the first step. You must then have the integrity and courage to integrate this seeing into your life. If it is authentic, your perspective on suffering will invert. Instead of trying to escape it, you will see it for the gift to yourself that it actually is.

Instead of chasing insights, embrace the unconditional spaciousness within you so fully that you are willing to release identifying with the deep desires and aversions that bind you to life. They will still exist, but will no longer influence your life or contribute to your suffering. Only then will you be free to live fully. For most, it takes substantial suffering before you are humble enough to surrender to yourself.

M: Don't be misled by the simplicity of the advice. Very few are those who have the courage to trust the innocent and the simple. To know that you are a prisoner of your mind, that you live in an imaginary world of your own creation is the dawn of wisdom. To want nothing of it, to be ready to abandon it entirely, is earnestness. Only such earnestness, born of true despair, will make you trust me.

Q: Have I not suffered enough?

M: Suffering has made you dull, unable to see its enormity. Your first task is to see the sorrow in you and around you; your next to long intensely for liberation. The very intensity of longing will guide you; you need no other guide.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

Insightful. Sufferer to Seeker to Seer. I Am That I Am! Mettaaa to all

Conscious suffering. Unconscious suffering will make you jaded and wounded.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Suffering is a tool for growth if and only if you can escape suffering. 

Suffering is an effective system of avoiding absolute truth. attachment to suffering keeps you asleep. you have to realize the obvious: you are constantly causing your own suffering, and you do it to stay asleep. there are no external agents causing you suffering, it is always you. 

23 minutes ago, Breakingthewall said:

Suffering is an effective system of avoiding absolute truth. attachment to suffering keeps you asleep. you have to realize the obvious: you are constantly causing your own suffering, and you do it to stay asleep. there are no external agents causing you suffering, it is always you. 

Yeah, of course. But also, suffering can play an important in life and the spiritual seeking. Basicay life is based on two systems to guide you to God. Suffering and love. You either take the right direction or suffer until you do.

15 hours ago, Holykael said:

You have yet to suffer enough my friend.

As above so below, as within so without.

18 minutes ago, LSD-Rumi said:

Yeah, of course. But also, suffering can play an important in life and the spiritual seeking. Basicay life is based on two systems to guide you to God. Suffering and love. You either take the right direction or suffer until you do.

Exactly, suffering is the dissonance that prevents you from aligning with the truth. it is an indicator of where you have to work. Suffering at the end is just the dissonance between what it is and what should be, there are many layers of this. 

once you decide to open yourself up to the absolute truth, as it seems you have, your emotional suffering will quickly subside, but the absolute truth is very scary, it takes a lot to surrender to it. I'm there

50 minutes ago, M A J I said:

No. What he needs is Love.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, M A J I said:

Or understand the suffering.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

No. What he needs is Love.

Nobody needs Love, but to realize the unconditional Love that we already are. You already realize this, but some may not. It is only words until the realization happens, and staying in the realization usually requires the self-shattering experience of suffering.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

4 minutes ago, Moksha said:

Nobody needs Love, but to realize the unconditional Love that we already are. You already realize this, but some may not. It is only words until the realization happens, and staying in the realization usually requires the self-shattering experience of suffering.

Nope

During my years of mental illness, I have always believed that Love is the case and life is love but that didn't help me very much. I needed to experience love to heal.

suffering desensitizes you to death (or better said: the agony before death). This will come in very handy