EugeneTheSage

How good is Notion for commonplace book?

27 posts in this topic

On 3/30/2023 at 9:36 PM, Enlightement said:

I don't like the idea of local storage because I never know when a device might blow up. So for me, it's cloud storage all the way. 

One Note is cumbersome with it's folder style, very 1990ish. 

Obsidian is way too overloaded with structures. 

I like Evernote. 

Fair. The way I use my commonplace book on Obsidian is basically as a text editor on steroids, similar to OneNote, so it can definitely be bare-bones if you want it to be. It gives you the ability to enable the features you need and to make it as complex as you'd like.

Edited by UnbornTao

@Enlightement I used Evernote previously, but since I have access to my student email I got the Notion premium plan for free :)

So I am stuck with Notion now :)

Probably won't switch, no plans at least.

Amazing. I love notion. A bit of learning curve but once you learn to put pages inside of other pages then you can create your own organizing system. It's great its clean and its free and it syncs to all my devices. Its just great. Just use it.

I make YouTube videos about Self-Actualization: >> Check it out here <<

Here's Tiago Forte's approach to choosing a second brain. 

3 types of note takers:

• The Librarian: They enjoy collecting, building a catalogue of resources and need a note-taking tool that allows them to easily retrieve their ideas 
  • The Gardener: They enjoy exploring, connecting various thoughts together, and need a note-taking tool that allows them to easily grow their ideas.
  • The Architect: They enjoy planning, designing processes and frameworks, and need a note-taking tool that allows them to easily structure their ideas

You can identify which one you belong to just from reading them, I am personally a Librarian 

Best choices for each:

• Librarian : Evernote 
  • Gardener : Obsidian, RomResearch 
  • Architect : Notion

I am personally a Librarian. 

Edited by Ayham

Damn, I like this August Bradley "Pillars Pipelines Vaults" (PPV) system. It is quite robust and he talks about systems thinking a lot. For me this system suites pretty well

@Ayham  Now that's an insight. Librarian too here, using OneNote ever since Leo's videos about it.

Notion offers better organization though. Ever since I found out they offer exporting I see it superior to OneNote, but the gist is, OneNote is just yours. A plain piece of paper.

Remember the idea is to keep it as vanilla as possible. Haven't used Notion yet, but I see abstracts are useful only when applied in practice. 

Obsidian is hardcore, I'd love to see plugins for OneNote of that kind.

The following is one page from my OneNote. I don't think it's a good example. It lacks expansion from general ideas and interlinking Obsidian-style.

Other than that I believe it gives me a strategical advantage. Definitely a must-have, especially for Journaling.

image_2023-04-15_190145774.png

Edited by Felliks

Organization of pages in OneNote is only 2 level deep, they need to fix that because it is a pain in the ass.

In Tate we trust