Ayham

School is raping my mind

11 posts in this topic

I hate this madness, the school system, the grades, everything. 

I am trying my best to get good grades, getting in flow, in deep work, using active recall, trying not to procrastinate as much as I can. 

yet my grades don't get better, i need high grades because i want to become a psychiatrist, my grades are ok, but nowhere near where I need it (I get like an average of 90 almost every year, I need like 98+, which I know is insanely competitive) 

fortunately i need these grades next year, so i have time. 

I love learning and reading and I am continually doing that, but I fucking hate this unending struggle to get better grades, plus I am from Iraq, people here are like the "Asian parents" stereotype lol, so this is extremely annoying. 

i mean i don't really care for grades, but a major step for my life purpose is psychiatry, so i need it. 

This is mainly a rant but would also appreciate advice from people who are/were very good in school. 

3 hours ago, Ayham said:

I get like an average of 90 almost every year, I need like 98+

What?

Why do you need 98+? This is ridiculously perfectionistic.

There is your problem. Stop focusing on things that are not important to success.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura that's like the requirements I would need here in Iraq to become a psychiatrist, it's terrible.

like I would need this to actualize my lp, which is in the big picture about becoming a psychiatrist and a life coach at the same time (combining them), and using things from philosophy, spirituality, and personal development in my work. 

and on top of that, writing books, articles and making online courses. 

but even if i won't need to actually become a psychiatrist for my lp, it would really help to get some sort of good degree because it will tremendously help in getting out from Iraq, plus I am extremely passionate about it, so it is two birds in one stone. 

WOW, It looks really challenging! And you look very clear in how you communicate about your dream and the process of getting there. 

I would suggest contemplating another possible way of achieving your goal and other possible dreams in life. It can possibly release a lot of tension.

But don't give up your actual plan. You are committed. Hold tight, it is already yours!

Learn about learning.

Find others who have the grades you want and see how they did it.

If you have to, pay people to teach you. Not the school subject but how to learn.

Get books on learning.

This will also be very useful for you later in life.

@Hugo Oliveira kind and motivating words, thank you.

I do have a, sort of back up plan but it's really not preferred. 

@universe

can you suggest some resources? I have gotten into this learning and productivity field, i have read books like deep work and a mind for numbers, and watched lots of videos. 

most of the stuff didn't work for me much.

A couple of points:

• Schedule your learning time
    • How much do you need to learn to get the grades you need? Put those times in your calendar/to-do list and execute.

• What is required to get the grade you need? 
    • Study Exams from people that wrote the grades you need. What are they doing that you are not doing? What skills are you lacking?
      • Learn those skills.
    • Find study guidebooks or ask the teacher for correction sheets that they use and pay attention to what is required.
  •  Talk to your teachers.
    • Ask how you can improve. 
    • Ask what they would like you to do more. 
      • This not only gives you valuable feedback but also signals to them that you are trying to improve

• Reframe your idea of School and Education
    • Stop thinking: school is hard, impossible, unfair, "raping my mind"
      • Think of it instead as a challenge and a stepping stone to the career you desire.
    • If you THINK school is "an unending struggle" it will be and you will be much more resistant to doing any school work. 

• Create study sheets for the topics you need to learn.
    • Keep them short and concise, use colors, bold font, etc.  
    • update them regularly and use them in class if allowed
    • Prepare those sheets if possible before starting new subjects in class.
      • That way you'll be able to participate and learn faster.

• Practice writing exams.
    • Ask the teacher for mock exams, find them online, or make them up yourself
    • Brute force it. Do 5-10 mock exams, as many as you can, and find where you are lacking. This will guarantee that you improve.

• School IS valuable.
    • Don't think that you are above school/education. 
    • It might suck sometimes or even often, but one of the most valuable skills you can learn in life is to do stuff you don't want to. 
Edited by Godhead

23 hours ago, Ayham said:

I am from Iraq

Damn, good luck being from Iraq 

There are many methods out there, you just have to find one that resonates with you.

I don't know how it is in Iraq.

If it is a lot of memorising, there are apps that can help you with it (like Anki).

You've got this! :) 

https://icanstudy.com/

I am currently using this course to improve my learning techniques as well as overall learning efficiency. It can take time to really pick up, but I have heard of really good results from it. It is for people who need to improve their ability to learn material at a high level of mastery in less time. 

@Godhead I will apply things from here, thanks for your effort.

@blankisomeone lol i know right.

@universe well, I have been doing better in the last couple of days.

it is fucked up here lol.

@LukeZ  seems new to me, will look into it.