Kshantivadin

How to be principled in life

6 posts in this topic

A quote that comes to mind comes from Caesar - "It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience"

All people talk about is the contents of principles, not how to actually embody them. I have to admit I haven't deeply contemplated the topic, but I think making a discussion here will be useful for more beings than just myself. 

I'll brainstorm some ideas on how to be principled and then go back to contemplating:

• What prevents a person from being principled? 

- certain states of consciousness, lack of virtue, emotions, desires, lack of love, more love towards the fruits of not respecting the principle than embodying the principle, lack of self-control, pain, low pain tolerance, suffering, not deciding within oneself that the principle is deontological in nature (ie not being 100% commited to the principle within one's own heart and mind) 

• What prevents me from being principled? 
  • What are my own principles for life? 
  • How do I embody a principle with integrity? 

Some principles are easy to follow. Some are extremely difficult. A lot of people think that to embody a principle means to put your life on the line for it and be willing to die. That's a gross simplification. 

I'm very excited to hear your contributions on the topic. ?

Some major reasons people don't live principled lives is:

1. They don't study the principles
  2. They don't see the value of embodying high level principles
  3. They don't balance the study of principles with self reflection, inner work, contemplation and admitting when they were wrong
  4. They don't contemplate their own values to know which principles they want to embody 

I think a big part of living a life based on principles is reading and studying deeply the time tested principles in the art of mastering life, and your chosen field of mastery... as well as the mastery process in general. We should study the principles of success. We should work to embody them daily. We should strive to live a life of integrity in alignment with the principles of living a good life. 

Take responsibility for your life.

Focus on your strengths and cultivate them.

Set clear goals and make a plan to achieve them.

Learn from your mistakes and failures.

Cultivate a positive attitude and mindset.

Practice gratitude and appreciation.

Develop resilience and perseverance.

Be open to learning and growth.

Practice self-care and self-compassion.

Surround yourself with supportive and positive people.

Cultivate healthy habits and routines.

Be adaptable and flexible.

Stay curious and embrace new experiences.

Develop good communication and social skills.

Practice mindfulness and meditation.

Be proactive and take action.

Embrace change and uncertainty.

Focus on what you can control.

Practice empathy and kindness.

Give back and make a positive impact in the world.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

100% commitment and discipline.

Meditation is a lifestyle of developing a calm state of mind WHILE engaging in one’s ambitions!

Counting your breaths, chanting a mantra, and the rest of it is all ratshit and a complete waste of time. What is stopping you from meditating WHILE working on your life purpose?

What I would like to add is,

What is a principle? A principle is a value that has formed into a rule, or belief to direct one's life in a certain way. Fulfillment is very general, but doing deep work is a principle that serves to fulfillment specifically.

Your values is more important. For example, Adolf Hitler is very principled. He had a goal to do what he wanted. He wanted to drive the Jews out and he wanted to make Germany great. Does not make him a good man but maybe a few Germans like him because he drove some Jews out of Germany.

To be principled, you have to stick with your values and goals among other things. 

Edited by hyruga

@hyruga

4 hours ago, hyruga said:

Your values is more important. For example, Adolf Hitler is very principled. He had a goal to do what he wanted. He wanted to drive the Jews out and he wanted to make Germany great. Does not make him a good man but maybe a few Germans like him because he drove some Jews out of Germany.

To be principled, you have to stick with your values and goals among other things. 

But what good are values if one is not principled enough to live them out?