inFlow

Meditation = distraction?

17 posts in this topic

I just realized that when you are going into meditation it's yet another distraction from Truth. Or am I wrong? What are your thoughts on this?

Mahadev

It can be, for me I use it when I need to calm my mind, dissolve all that noise that's distracting me, sort of process all the emotions and thoughts I've accumulated, not in an active analytical way but a feeling through them way, like processing them via intuition.

13 minutes ago, inFlow said:

I just realized that when you are going into meditation it's yet another distraction from Truth. Or am I wrong? What are your thoughts on this?

I personally believe every moment is the truth no matter what you're doing. Even when you are elaborating a lie, that's the truth.

You are supposed to meditate to get closer to the truth, that is, to lose the illusion that you are a human who has to have the best possible human life, with his memories and his stories, and realize that everything is the present moment 

You don't go into meditation, you become "meditative" by surrendering to the greater truth that is. Your desire for Truth must be stronger than all other desires. Truth must always come first, before meditation, before spirituality, before psychedelics.

Edited by player1995

Don't get too skeptical 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

It's a distraction if you use meditation is a means to avoid something in your experience.

21 hours ago, inFlow said:

i made a topic about this on reddit and it had many many very insightful replies, but the thread got deleted:(

the jist of the top replies is that meditation is like a bone to throw, to facilitate in getting to Truth. I do still think it is a bit of a distraction as well

Edited by Monster

1 hour ago, Monster said:

the jist of the top replies is that meditation is like a bone to throw, to facilitate in getting to Truth. I do still think it is a bit of a distraction as well

Spot on - just one more bone that you are chasing.

Mahadev

30 minutes ago, inFlow said:

Spot on - just one more bone that you are chasing.

leave the you at the door before sitting on the floor

Edited by gettoefl

Meditation is just sitting and being conscious.

But formal mechanics and techniques can be a distraction from that.

The only meditation advice you really need is this:

Shut up, sit, don't move, and be conscious, for very long periods of time.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

23 hours ago, inFlow said:

If meditation is a distraction then what isn't distraction?

You sit and become conscious of being conscious which is what I would define as not being distracted. If you do something without being conscious of being conscious that's distraction which is the state of 99.9% of people. (Yeah 69% of statistics is made up I know)

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Meditation is just sitting and being conscious.

But formal mechanics and techniques can be a distraction from that.

The only meditation advice you really need is this:

Shut up, sit, don't move, and be conscious, for very long periods of time.

Limited

There are many types of meditation. 

Don't want to get into it here.

Want to love yourself more? Just sitting there doing nothing meditation wont cultivate your inner juiciness. 

But, I agree what Leo says is the foundation.. But, who knows what you will discover? 

I sense this is Leo's Zen foundation. Where, I come from different meditation background.

Also, I find myself in a place of ambiquity. 

Example, Inner Smile Meditation is really important if you want to learn to feel happy for no reason.

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

@Thought Art Yes, you can invent all sorts of meditation methods and alternative purposes. Which can be great.

But I was referring to just the very basic, core of meditation. Meditation proper is not about loving yourself more, or any other kind of manipulation. It's just sitting and being conscious.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

30 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@Thought Art Yes, you can invent all sorts of meditation methods and alternative purposes. Which can be great.

But I was referring to just the very basic, core of meditation. Meditation proper is not about loving yourself more, or any other kind of manipulation. It's just sitting and being conscious.

I’ll allow it. I’m struggling with “meditation proper” just from my readings of the history of Qigong and meditation. 

The core and foundation is that raw observing and brute sitting and observing. 

But, there is more… read Opening the Dragon Gate: The Making of a Modern Taoist Wizard. It’s about 3 Taoist wizards handing in their internal achievements to a young man. Very inspiring for those spiritually serious. 

The 3 wizards are named by their achievements: 

1. The wizard of infinity 

2. The wizard of the void

3. The wizard of infinity bliss

Very cool story. 

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

Its getting in touch with actuality.

Hold out your hand and be conscious of its existence.  NOW.

Its that  

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.