The Mystical Man

Persona (1966)

4 posts in this topic

As slow and boring as a movie gets.

Beautiful photography, though.

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

A certain scene from this movie makes this movie akward to watch with your parents, especially if you're a Swede I think it becomes even worse lol.

I can recommend Wild Strawberries if you haven't seen that one and plan on diving deeper into Bergman, it's a movie I like!

I would like to add that all Bergman movies I've seen has a similar kind of dialogue/script style that makes them instantly recognizable. I'm not sure how well it translates to English subtitles but the Swedish prose used is really beautiful/different and reminiscent of theatre.

Edited by Asayake

9 hours ago, Asayake said:

A certain scene from this movie makes this movie akward to watch with your parents, especially if you're a Swede I think it becomes even worse lol.

Good scene that one ?

9 hours ago, Asayake said:

I can recommend Wild Strawberries if you haven't seen that one and plan on diving deeper into Bergman, it's a movie I like!

I got into Bergman because in McKee's opinion he is "the cinema's finest screenwriter". So far, I've only watched The Seventh Seal and Persona. I might watch Wild Strawberries, too.

You can see the influence Persona had on Mulholland Drive, which is a movie I like:

Persona+Mulholland+Drive.jpg?token=AtLpf

Edited by The Mystical Man

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

3 hours ago, The Mystical Man said:

Good scene that one ?

I got into Bergman because in McKee's opinion he is "the cinema's finest screenwriter". So far, I've only watched The Seventh Seal and Persona. I might watch Wild Strawberries, too.

You can see the influence Persona had on Mulholland Drive, which is a movie I like:

Persona+Mulholland+Drive.jpg?token=AtLpf

Good scene indeed!

Ah yes, I've heard from somewhere that David Lynch was influenced by Persona for that movie, I can certainly see it as well. God I love Mulholland Drive, it's brilliant.

I'm going to watch Hour of the Wolf next from Bergman, it's supposedly a horror movie, which I'm pretty excited about. Fanny & Alexander is the one many talk about as being his best work and I haven't seen that one yet so it's on my watchlist as well.