DefinitelyNotARobot

Breaking Bad

12 posts in this topic

It's truly the best show I've ever seen, together with Better Call Saul wich is also a master piece. It's not just the story, the characters, but also how they can tell a story simply through cinematography and acting alone. You can feel the crews passion for film making dripping through each episodes.

Sometimes they hide multiple meanings in shots that you only ever really catch when watching the show multiple times. And that's what I love about good works of art. It's that you can enjoy them again and again and always come out with a new and fresh perspectives. I can watch a good movie multiple times, because each experience will be different. The same goes for this show. I've watched it 4 times now and it's still a mind blowing experience.

If you've already watched this show, I can recommend you a great YouTube channel. It's a guy reacting to Breaking Bad for the first time, and though I'm not the biggest fan of reactions, I just love this reaction, because this dude is an actual film maker (according to himself I've actually never seen his work lol) with a passion for cinema. He always finds a good way to put what I've felt watching the show, and didn't even realize I was feeling, into words. He also talks in depth about the cinematography, acting, symbolism and so on, exploring this show from a very interesting perspective, so it's not just a reaction, but also kind of an analysis. You should check out his reactions, because they highlight what I love about this show so much. Here is his channel:

James VS Cinema

What do you think about the show? Some people probably find it overrated, and that's okay. Everybody can't like everything. I just wanted to put this out there!

beep boop

"The same goes for this show. I've watched it 4 times now and it's still a mind blowing experience." 

Which Show? Did you mean the YouTube channel you Linked? 

Oh no, I mean Breaking Bad hahah

The guy I've linked hasn't finished it yet.

beep boop

It's a great show. I think BCS is even better. The acting, writing, and directing is the best of the post-Golden Age of TV. And yet it's not a Masterpiece for me. It's a thrilling ride -- but it's a one-time ride for me.

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

@The Mystical Man Okay maybe it's to early to call it a master piece. I've only watched it once and I think I'd have to watch it a few more times to really get the depth of it. But I can say that BB is a master piece, in my opinion, because I've watched it enough times to make myself a good image of the show and what I personally love about it. I guess they just hit my particular taste really well.

But damn it, Bob Odenkirk killed the performance in both shows, giving him an entire show was the best decision they've made.

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

beep boop

Breaking Bad is easily a masterpiece for me! Bryan Cranston and Anna Gunn absolutely knocked it out of the park with their acting preformances and they were not the only ones.. In fact you'll struggle to find a bad acting performannce in the entire show. Other than this I think the show has a unique aesthetically pleasing style that reflects the era it takes place in well, costume & set design fits perfectly for the show. The dramaturgy curve of the series is a feat in and off itself, constantly accelerating and building, revealing more layers both of the story and the characters. The peak moments of the show are so good sometimes it felt like real life for me.  

I enjoyed Better Call Saul too, but for me Breaking Bad is in a league of its own.

@Asayake Yeah the aesthetics are really cool, probably because it reminds me of the sitcoms I grew up with, like Malcom in the Middle (very ironic and perhaps even intentionally so).

beep boop

As entertaining as BB is, I don't feel the need to rewatch it -- for me it works only once, because it relies on its twists and turns.

The Sopranos lacks thrilling moments—it's a slower show—but it has more substance. It's also more realistic -- which is why the character of Tony Soprano intrigues me more than Walter White. I love Bryan Cranston's performance, but Walter is an over the top character. 

I can't recommend The Sopranos enough. In my opinion, it's the only show that deserves the highest accolade. 

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

@The Mystical Man I actually haven't watched The Sopranos and I've only heard good things about it. I should probably watch that!

And for me rewatching Breaking Bad isn't so much about the plot rather than it is about exploring how that plot is being told. The way they use the cinematography to tell the subtlest of stories is actually mind boggling to me.

Here is a video explaining one aspect of how they tell stories, which is color:

I think this explains my fascination with the show pretty well, and it doesn't just end with the colors! It's just everything. Sometimes you have shots were you are looking at the characters from behind some object, with the camera being shaky, making you feel like you're watching a documentary about actual people and their lives. Bugs will often be used to symbolize Jesse and his feeling of powerlessness within a world that is much bigger than him. He will marvel at a bug and someone just steps on it.

I could probably go on for a long time, but I really think that you can find a lot of entertainment from just trying to interpret the show from cinematographical point of view, not even taking the story and characters into consideration. They are just the topping on the cake to me. What really gets me is how Breaking Bad is almost like a book, in the sense that you can use your own imagination to interpret the different scenes and to make connections between them and to see how all of them come together to form this very nuanced, yet cohesive story. A lot of cinema holds the consumer as stupid and tries to hold their hand as much as possible (like when side characters constantly have to explain every little detail of a fight in shounen anime), while Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul give you space to come away with your own unique experience of the show. Two people will have a totally different experience watching these shows!

By the way here is another video taking about the same color theory thing, but for BCS:

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

beep boop

20 minutes ago, The Mystical Man said:

As entertaining as BB is, I don't feel the need to rewatch it -- for me it works only once, because it relies on its twists and turns.

I think what's greatest about BB is slow character development. Watching them change, the little things. I'd be down to go through the series once more for that. (but who's got the time?)

1- Breaking Bad 

2- Better Call Saul 

The ending of Better Call Saul what not that good. The actors of Breaking Bad were really acting from my perspective, specially Bryan Cranston and the script is excellent.

I also thought that Breaking Bad was the best show ever, but after watching The Wire (2002) for the second time I changed my mind.

Maybe if I watch BrBa one more time, I will change my mind again :D

What do you guys think of The Wire?