vindicated erudite

Microfactories deserve more attention

15 posts in this topic

The concept of microfactory was first proposed in 1990 by the Mechanical Engineer Laboratory (MEL) of Japan. Post that, MEL worked for almost a decade on a project to downsize machine tools and manufacturing systems. MEL developed a microlathe smaller than a human palm in 1996. This encouraged MEL to create a prototype of an entire machining factory, which further resulted in the creation of the first desktop fabrication system for producing micro ball bearings in 1999. This system was made available to the international community at the start of the 20th century. 

https://www.futurebridge.com/blog/microfactories-the-next-big-thing-in-manufacturing/

There are loads of benefits to the mass adoption of this technology, such as:

• A decreased reliance on monopolies, globalisation and exploitation.
  • An increase in innovation and quality.
  • More jobs.
  • Economic robustness.
  • Decreased emissions and waste
Edited by vindicated erudite

Damn I posted this thread before I was able to finish it. I'll just post the rest of my notes below.

The whole key to manifacturing stuff is economies of scale. So how is this gonna work?

I see factories getting bigger, not smaller.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

8 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

The whole key to manifacturing stuff is economies of scale. So how is this gonna work?

A few reasons on why I think microfactories are legit:

A microfactory business can build a product and ship it straight to customer which reduces costs and time significantly. Depending on where a company situates their microfactory a customer would be able to receive their product the exact same day they ordered the product. 

There are many ways to make microfactories scalable. Such as building more microfactories, a business would be able to spread their production line across the world which would lead into the point of shipping products quicker to customers.

Innovations in machine automations and 3D printing will increase how many units a microfactory will produce. Microfactories are also cheaper to set up and maintain which means a higher profit margin and lower break even point. Which is a great strategy to invest in if you are a start up with low capital. 

A microfactory takes longer to produce the same amount of goods a traditional factory but if you give a microfactory 100,000 units worth of materials it will still make 100,000 units. Therefore the scale of production isn't really the problem but the timeframe in which they are made in. This timeframe issue can be offset with the previous factors that I have mentioned.

Edited by vindicated erudite

On 3/9/2023 at 4:10 AM, Leo Gura said:

They can react quicker.

Another contributing factor is the rapid evolution of products, these would be more adaptable. I don't see microfactories for something like cars though, Arrival's edge is it's fabric, a more streamlined design to automobiles.

Something I see disrupting manufacturing in the foreseeable future is the "15 minute city" concept, we will greatly reduce consumption and therefore demand for manufacturing, which will be harder on the less adaptable systems, our needs may reduce and change more rapidly.

On 11/03/2023 at 2:30 PM, Devin said:

Another contributing factor is the rapid evolution of products, these would be more adaptable. I don't see microfactories for something like cars though, Arrival's edge is it's fabric, a more streamlined design to automobiles.

Something I see disrupting manufacturing in the foreseeable future is the "15 minute city" concept, we will greatly reduce consumption and therefore demand for manufacturing, which will be harder on the less adaptable systems, our needs may reduce and change more rapidly.

I like microfactories because it offers communities the option of becoming more self-sufficient in their needs. 

45 minutes ago, vindicated erudite said:

I like microfactories because it offers communities the option of becoming more self-sufficient in their needs. 

Hmm, we've had the buy local produce renaissance, would be nice if we got back to local made, but really we already have the equipment for that. That would fill the void for consumer contempt for planned obsolescence, returning to locally repairable heirloom products instead of the throwaway culture!!! Killing MANY birds with one stone! #MakeLocal

Edited by Devin

@vindicated erudite

On 3/8/2023 at 4:45 PM, vindicated erudite said:

There are loads of benefits to the mass adoption of this technology, such as:

• A decreased reliance on monopolies, globalisation and exploitation.
  • An increase in innovation and quality.
  • More jobs.
  • Economic robustness.
  • Decreased emissions and waste

That's interesting, if they can pull it off.