2xj_m

Judge This Lifestyle HARD

18 posts in this topic

I want to get the most criticism I can. What are my potential pitfalls in this lifestyle? What could I be doing better or what should I change?

Nutrition:
 - I follow a whole food gluten- & soy-free plant-based diet, due to ethical reasons.
    - Carbs:Protein:Fat = around 5:3:1
    - Fiber = 86g a day
     - The only exception are:    
        - Extra Virgin Olive Oil & Canola Oil (Maximum amount for both: 30g a day)
         - Rice Protein Powder & Pea Protein Powder (50g of each a day)
 - I get around 0.9 g of protein per pound of Lean Muscle Mass
    - Main sources of protein are legumes and lentils. 
 - I hit every default micronutrient requirement on Cronometer
    - I don't go into red on any micronutrient.
     - Omega-3 to Omega-6 ratio: 1:3.3
    - The only exception is Vitamin D, which I get from sunlight.
 - I do 16 hour Intermittent Fasting every day
    - I start eating at 1 p.m.
    - I finish eating at 9 p.m. 
    - Every month I will do a 36 hour fast during a stressful time.
 - Around 3 times a week I eat at restaurants
    - There I chose vegan options when possible
    - When not possible I go for meat rather than dairy & eggs (meat seems more ethical to me than dairy & eggs)
 - I drink:
    - at least 8 glasses of water a day
    - 1 to 2 servings of black coffee from freshly ground beans
    - I drink green tea from dried leaves around 2 times a week.
     - Diet Soda once a month, when I go to Cinema. 
    - At parties (around 2 times a month) I drink Red Wine or Vodka
        - Maximum Red Wine amount: 6 glasses
        - Maximum Vodka amount: 7 shots
        - I never go beyond that and usually stay around 3-4 servings of alcohol
 - I don't take any supplements

Fitness:
 - I do at least 8,000 steps a day outside
     - 2,000 - inside the buildings
    - 6,000 - outside <- this is where I get my sunlight exposure
    - I often get more than that, my monthly average is somewhere around 10,000 steps
 - I do full body weight lifitng sessions 3 times a week.
    - Starting with functional lifts ending with isolated movements. 
    - 1st - Pull Emphasis, 2nd - Push Emphasis & 3rd - Leg Emphasis
    - Before every session I do 8 minutes of warm-up, which is running 
        - My heart rate there is around 155.
    - Starting from April I will also stretch after every workout
 - Starting from April I will do 1 HIIT session, every 7-10 days.

Others:
 - My stress levels are usually low to medium, with ocassional periods of high stress
 - I sleep for around 7.5 hours daily. 
    - I wake up briefly 2-3 times a night, due to my partner. 
    - There is a lamp close to my window, therefore I don't get complete darkness at night. But it's mostly dark. 

@2xj_m Meditation? Shadow work?

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

37 minutes ago, Ulax said:

@2xj_m Meditation? Shadow work?

I purposely left it out of the lifestyle, because I wanted it to be judged mainly on nutrition & fitness merit, hence posting it in Nutrition and not in Self-Development.

But I will be including meditation in June, and shadow work in the next few years. 

@2xj_m Ah gotcha

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

Depending on the type of HIIT, you may want some yoga or at least a full body movement activity like basketball or something if you don't get that from your HIIT.

Eat some fermented food for gut health.

Get occasional blood test to look for deficiencies and for tracking.

Edited by Devin

43 minutes ago, Devin said:

Depending on the type of HIIT, you may want some yoga or at least a full body movement activity like basketball or something if you don't get that from your HIIT.

Eat some fermented food for gut health.

Get occasional blood test to look for deficiencies and for tracking.

I was thinking of doing boxing HIIT. 

I will definately stock up on Sauerkraut and work it into my diet.

17 minutes ago, 2xj_m said:

I was thinking of doing boxing HIIT. 

I will definately stock up on Sauerkraut and work it into my diet.

I would also want something where you can exercise full body mobility, where you stretch your arms up, outwide, back, and also where you do wide stance sidewards and obscure angle lunges, like basketball, yoga could replace this as well. I don't find antagonist afterworkout stretching to fill this for mobility.

Edited by Devin

5 minutes ago, Devin said:

I would also want something where you can exercise full body mobility, where you stretch your arms up, outwide, back, and also where you do wide stance sidewards and obscure angle lunges, like basketball, yoga could replace this as well. I don't find antagonist afterworkout stretching to fill this for mobility.

If I were to add Yoga for example, how many times a week I'd have to do this? Would this be a replacement for stretching after workout or something different? 

4 minutes ago, 2xj_m said:

If I were to add Yoga for example, how many times a week I'd have to do this? Would this be a replacement for stretching after workout or something different? 

Even just once a week makes a difference for me, I think if I had unlimited time with your regiment I would want 3 times a week 20 minute. I would still stretch after workouts, this is more for smaller muscles and tendons that don't get much attention and are hard to target.

I get higher quality sleep with yoga too, so it may pay for itself.

Considering you're getting 86g of fibre per day which is absolutely insane, I'd say your nutrition is spot on. Seems like you got your micros covered. 

I don't really see any red flags there, your lifestyle is probably top 2% of people worldwide so if you cna keep that up you're gonna be here for a while. 

Tinkering and small-grade optimisation is always possible but most of those would be for a sake of perfectionism rather than for sake of necessity 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Devin So You are saying that 20 minute 3 times a week would be enough? I will try to incorporate it then on the days that I don't go to the gym, some time in the future. Thank You

3 minutes ago, 2xj_m said:

@Devin So You are saying that 20 minute 3 times a week would be enough? I will try to incorporate it then on the days that I don't go to the gym, some time in the future. Thank You

I'm not a physical therapist but from my personal experience it seems to be.

If you're not too familiar with yoga they do breath work as well which helps physiologically too, just so you know it isn't just stretching.

This is all just perfectionism level stuff too by the way, like Michael said.

16 hours ago, Michael569 said:

Tinkering and small-grade optimisation is always possible but most of those would be for a sake of perfectionism rather than for sake of necessity 

Could you give examples of such optimizations? I want to have things on my radar, even if it'll be a while before I can implement on them.

I definately know that at certain point I'll have to buy all organic produce, as I don't have the means or aviability where I live. 

Intermittent fasting works best when you don't do it every day (Dave Ausprey says)

The idea is that it's a slight shock to the system, which is unexpected, and slight unexpected shocks to the system keep it sharp and well-defended. When it's too predictable, the body gets lazy.

Similar to cold exposure etc.

So you might want to vary your IF days, or throw 1-2 days of breakfast in there and an OMAD day.

Also, get blackout curtains so you can cut out that stupid light :)

Do you keep any devices with LED's in your bedroom?

Also, no mention is made of how this lifestyle makes you feel. It all seems very scientifically controlled and with little room for intuition. This makes me think that you're somewhat out of touch with yourself.

Edited by flowboy

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

44 minutes ago, flowboy said:

Intermittent fasting works best when you don't do it every day (Dave Ausprey says)

Also, no mention is made of how this lifestyle makes you feel. It all seems very scientifically controlled and with little room for intuition. This makes me think that you're somewhat out of touch with yourself.

@flowboy After I'd posted I've heard of the work of Valteri Longo, one of the leading scientist when it comes to research on centenarians & longevity. He suggest that 16 hour window isn't the most optimal. It's better to do starvation mimicing diet once every 3 months. IF actually increases your risk of Cardiovascular disease later in life, according to study. Here is a great podcast with him.

My main reason for IF is the focus I can get for the first half of the day. It also helps me mentally when I am losing weight. For me it's like putting all your days hunger at the begining of the day, when it's easier to handle. 

I'll probably drop it after I'm done with a cut. 

When It comes to how it makes me feel this lifestyle is great. I get little to no bloating or other discomforts. I have great energy levels throughout the day. I only need coffee in the afternoon, when I have really draining days. Food is 6/10, but It could be worse and I treat it more as a fuel. I definately don't have to force feed myself. The best part is that meals are super quick to make and I feel light after eating them. I walk to my work and It takes me the same amount of time It would take me to drive, so steps are a byproduct, so to speak. I'd rate my overall wellness at 8/10.

I'll definately work on those curtains and I don't keep any LED in my bedroom. 

Edited by 2xj_m

2 hours ago, 2xj_m said:

Could you give examples of such optimizations? I want to have things on my radar, even if it'll be a while before I can implement on them.

I definately know that at certain point I'll have to buy all organic produce, as I don't have the means or aviability where I live.

You know I would actually, in your case, consider taking a step back and maybe letting go of control a little bit? I agree with @flowboy that it seems like you are trying very hard to have everything under control and always on the lookout for the next optimisation. 

Don't get me wrong, that's great. I used to be like that in my mid-20s but it eventually led to a place where I was causing myself more suffering than benefit. 

SO what I'm saying is, definitely keep leading an active lifestyle and a healthy diet but let go of control a bit and refocus your attentiona nd priorities to things like pursuing your passion and the things that matter the most in life. (maybe you are already doing that tho) 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

5 hours ago, Michael569 said:

SO what I'm saying is, definitely keep leading an active lifestyle and a healthy diet but let go of control a bit and refocus your attentiona nd priorities to things like pursuing your passion and the things that matter the most in life. (maybe you are already doing that tho) 

I am a little bit obsessive when It comes to such things I need to admit. ?

Actually I took a break from heavily pursuing my life purpose, in order to get my lifestyle in check. I've given myself 6 month to establish a baseline that will bring me lots of energy and health. In July I'll see which things from this lifestyle I'll be able to do and which will be too hard to do while being focused on my Life Purpose. 

This lifestyle here is an ideal version. Something to strive towards rather than a set in stone plan. However I am commited to make it work. 

@Michael569  I am very thankful for your input. ?

Edited by 2xj_m