Thought Art

6 Min Qigong for Stress with Lee Holden

10 posts in this topic

Give it a try and post results below!

---

What is Qigong?

Qigong (pronounced "chee-gong") is a holistic system of coordinated body posture, movement, breathing, and meditation that is practiced for health, spirituality, and martial arts training. The term Qigong is composed of two Chinese words: Qi (pronounced "chee"), which means life force or vital energy, and Gong (pronounced "gung"), which means skill or work.

The practice of Qigong has its roots in Chinese philosophy, traditional medicine, and martial arts, and it is believed to have been developed over thousands of years. It is based on the principle that the body, mind, and breath are intimately connected and that the flow of Qi can be manipulated to promote health, balance, and harmony.

There are many different styles and forms of Qigong, each with its own unique practices and techniques. Some forms of Qigong focus on gentle movements, while others emphasize stillness and meditation. Some forms are designed for specific health conditions, while others are used for martial arts training.

Qigong is often practiced in group settings or in classes led by a trained instructor. It can also be practiced on one's own, and many people integrate Qigong into their daily routines as a way to maintain health and well-being.

Scientific studies have shown that Qigong practice can have a range of health benefits, including reducing stress, improving immune function, lowering blood pressure, and improving balance and flexibility. Additionally, many practitioners of Qigong report feeling a greater sense of peace, calm, and vitality as a result of their practice.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

I'd try it, and hopefully I don't ADHD away from the video, only 6 min, what could go right? right?

I feel better already doing the exercise, wasn't expecting practical stuff!

@Blackbeat Qigong is very practical

◭"89"

Thank you for this reminder!  I took Lee's 'Superhuman' video course a few years back, with that other Italian mystical guy, forget his name.  And now I get weekly or so emails from Lee with useful tidbits and some Qi Gong exercises.  I started a weekly Qi Gong course when I moved to Vancouver Island but found the teacher lacking, so stopped.  When I practice what little I know, I find it a valuable adjunct to breathwork and a life-long meditation practice.

I am grateful for it.  Thank you again.

Ted

On 3/1/2023 at 5:41 PM, Thought Art said:

Scientific studies have shown that Qigong practice can have a range of health benefits, including reducing stress, improving immune function, lowering blood pressure, and improving balance and flexibility. Additionally, many practitioners of Qigong report feeling a greater sense of peace, calm, and vitality as a result of their practice.

Correct. I did my self-massage Qigong 4 days ago. It lasted more or less 30 min. I immediately felt relief and healing. I don't need a scientist to validate the positive effects. My experience is the ultimate validation.

I think Qigong strengthens the immune system and improves blood circulation, hence the magic (its effectiveness). Aside from instant relief from stress and anxiety, it cured my flu, coronavirus infection, and significantly helped me endure and conquer the depression I felt because of my divorce. I focused on rubbing or massaging my chest and belly in a circular motion for the extreme pain and depression. The pain and depression always disappeared after 20 to 30 min. It was amazing. But it came and went many times so I also did Qigong many times, every 2 to 3 days because of the severity of the pain ( I lost my Japanese wife, apartment, school I co-founded, money, and Japan itself and its four seasons and beautiful, feminine girls, etc.).  

ANother good thing about Qigong is it always gives me a surge of energy the next day.

But I noticed based on my experience that Qigong is not effective for extreme anxiety diseases such as OCD, BDD, agoraphobia, etc., and toothache. It's not clear to me why this is the case.   

What made you decide to study and then teach Qigong? 

In my case, I tried to use it to cure my extreme anxiety. But as I have already mentioned, it was not effective for such diseases. 

Edited by Thought Art
made it more accurate

5 hours ago, jimwell said:

But I noticed based on my experience that Qigong is not effective for extreme anxiety diseases such as OCD, BDD, agoraphobia, etc., and toothache. It's not clear to me why this is the case.   

We need to do work that is top down (cognitive behaviours) and bottom up (Somatic Practice).

Qigong can be used in part of a toolbox to do that work. But, for these types of issues it's a much deeper and complex process of healing. 

Like, I find Qigong relaxing but I still have stresses and challenges that require direct experience, feeling, and facing those challenges through direct experience with consciousness. 

◭"89"

8 hours ago, Thought Art said:

We need to do work that is top down (cognitive behaviours) and bottom up (Somatic Practice).

Qigong can be used in part of a toolbox to do that work. But, for these types of issues it's a much deeper and complex process of healing. 

Like, I find Qigong relaxing but I still have stresses and challenges that require direct experience, feeling, and facing those challenges through direct experience with consciousness. 

Yes

edited.png

I wonder why your name is there. It was I who edited my post to make it more accurate. I don't think I violated any forum rule. I don't want this to happen again.

14 hours ago, jimwell said:

What made you decide to study and then teach Qigong? 

Your potential students are probably interested in knowing the answers to that question. 

I loved Tai Chi and Qi gong. I have learned it and practiced it for 4 years.

The thing I enjoyed the most is that when you start “understanding” how it works a wonderful world of perceptions opens. Even how you sit or how you walk the stairs up becomes a qi gong practice 

2 hours ago, jimwell said:

edited.png

I wonder why your name is there. It was I who edited my post to make it more accurate. I don't think I violated any forum rule. I don't want this to happen again. 

Still getting used to my mod layout. Sometimes I click “edit” instead of “quote”. When I exit out it leaves that I edited the post though I changed nothing. Just my big dumb thumbs. 

◭"89"