Ulax

Trataka meditation

7 posts in this topic

Hey,

Anyone here have knowledge about doing trataka meditation? If so, I'd be hoping for tips regarding concentrating on an object in my minds eye. (as opposed to some object in my field of view)

Thanks in advance.

Be-Do-Have

You have to play the cards you're dealt

There is no failure, only feedback

Yes! It’s amazing! I learned the technique from a guy on Jedi Academy. All you do is visualize a crystal pyramid in a desert. Visualize it clearly and hold it. Then, watch it fade into nothingness.

All Teachers and Teachings are delusion. You have all the answers within you. The first step on the journey to Enlightenment is questioning all the beliefs and teachings you have ever received. Teachers/Teachings are a distraction/maya at the highest level. There comes a point where you need to trust in your own innate knowledge and derive your own insights into the nature of reality. Teachers make a living and lifestyle of selling you water by the river. You don’t need them. All you need is an insatiable desire for truth and then seriously contemplate reality and uncover all that is false. 

I hadn’t heard of this term until I saw this thread. I looked it up, and all of the main sources gave an almost identical description to kasina meditation which looks like essentially the Buddhist equivalent. 

Here’s a free and high-quality book on fire kasina in PDF format: https://firekasina.org/fire-kasina-book/

Fire kasina is the form of kasina that uses a light source such as a candle flame. 

I know @Michal__ has done water kasina and probably some other types. He might have some suggestions. 

With fire kasina, you actually end up working with more of a mental image rather than a purely visual image once you are able to hold the image for some time with the eyes closed. Doing this might help build the ability to create more stable visualizations for other mental images you feel inclined to use. 

Edited by BipolarGrowth

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

https://www.mctb.org/mctb2/table-of-contents/part-iii-the-samatha-jhanas/29-kasina-practice/

I would probably take all the instructions from this very packed summary.

If you really wanted to change something because you'd like it that way slightly different with trataka it probably wouldn't matter much because there's not much you can do wrong.

Also microdosing and maybe some modafinil will definitely kickstart this practice.

If you do the variation where you straight up visualize from the start there's nothing wrong with that either. It will lead to the same place but the process will be different.

Edited by Michal__

You might find this article useful...

https://www.yogaindailylife.org/system/en/hatha-yoga-kriyas/trataka

Trataka has helped me to improve my focus, orient myself, and bring order to my random mind. I actually wish I had taken my practice more seriously and devoted more time to it. 

I made a coin size black point in my room and view it from time to time consciously.

A handy tip is that you can practice trataka using your thumb. If you look carefully at your thumb, you can see that the lines on your thumb converge at a point. This point can be taken as a point of focus, and you can use it anywhere or anytime you want as well without depending on a point on a wall or candle flame to focus upon. 

Edited by Ajay0

Self-awareness is yoga. - Nisargadatta

Awareness is the great non-conceptual perfection. - Dzogchen

Evil is an extreme manifestation of human unconsciousness. - Eckhart Tole