The Mystical Man

The Lobster (2015)

13 posts in this topic

One of the most bizarre movies I've ever watched.

In the first half of the movie, the absurdity is entertaining.

The movie falters towards the end, though.

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

16 hours ago, egoeimai said:

One of my most favourite movies.

Despite its weak ending, it's worth watching. Simply because it's so odd and there's nothing like it.

Edited by The Mystical Man

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

The underlying message and characters in this movie really make it unique. I like Colin Farrell as an actor also.

5 hours ago, Clabber Girl said:

I like Colin Farrell as an actor also.

He's great -- loved his performance. 

At some point I thought there was going to be some moral of the story. But no, it's just pure randomness

Edited by Something Funny

2 minutes ago, Something Funny said:

At some point I thought there was going to be some moral of the story. But no, it's just pure randomness

There are different interpretations online, but I doubt the director thought deeply about the meaning of his film -- he didn't have anything meaningful to say about relationships.

@The Mystical Man I was about to write the following:

I thought that the directors wanted to make a point that you don't need to have a lot of things in common and to have the same personality to love each other and to be a great match, but then they dropped this plot point...

But they didn't actually dropped it, I just missed it. When the girl got blinded the guy desperately tried to come up with things they might have in common, like knowing german. And by the end he wanted to blind himself to have something in common with her. But couldn't bring himself to do it, so he just left her there, lol.[/spoiler]

Edited by Something Funny

@Something Funny That makes sense. 

I suggest you hide your interpretation so as not to spoil the movie for others. You can use this tag to hide text: [spoiler][/spoiler]

Which animal would you choose? I'd choose whale ?