LoneWonderer

Salt consumption downsides

18 posts in this topic

So I eat a very healthy pescatarian diet with 35-40+ plants a week some sardines and tuna. No processed food, no sugar. However I consume a lot of salt...like A LOT.

I haven't been able to find any good data on what effects this excess salt could have on my health in the long term taking into account that everything else about my diet is almost as good as it can get. Anybody can let me know? Is it ok to eat high amounts of salt if everything else is in check? What peoblems could I be facing in the future?

10 hours ago, LoneWonderer said:

a lot of salt...like A LOT.

How much is a lot?

You definitely want some salt in your diet. Ideally in a high quality form like sea salt or pink salt. But you can definitely overdo it as well. 

I'd also research possible heavy metal contamination on certain big fish types like tuna. Sardines are incredibly nutritious and uncontaminated. If you want, enjoy those.

Edited by UnbornTao

@UnbornTao hey, yes I am aware of heavy metals and am making the slow transition from tuna to sardines. As for the fasting I practice intermittent fasting 5-6 days a week going 12-18 hour periods with no food only tea.

6 hours ago, LoneWonderer said:

@UnbornTao hey, yes I am aware of heavy metals and am making the slow transition from tuna to sardines. As for the fasting I practice intermittent fasting 5-6 days a week going 12-18 hour periods with no food only tea.

OK, you may also want to check out that segment of the video, they discuss salt too.

Edited by UnbornTao

9 hours ago, LoneWonderer said:

About 4-6 teaspoons a day@aurum

So you actively dump 4-6 teaspoons at day on top of your food?

That does sound like way too much to me.

Personally I’ll do about a pinch or two per day.

@UnbornTao Thank you! I've actually listened to this this particular podcast twice before but don't remeber about the salt part. I'll re-listen when I get the chance :)

@aurum 3-4 means a day with 1-2 teaspoons worth of salt in each meal. I want to cut down but before doing that I want to know possible side effects but taking into account that the rest of my diet, exercise, sleep etc is in check. 

8 minutes ago, LoneWonderer said:

I want to cut down but before doing that I want to know possible side effects but taking into account that the rest of my diet, exercise, sleep etc is in check. 

My guess is the most immediate side effect would throwing your electrolyte balance off. Which could lead to problems with hydration and probably a whole host of other things.

Long-term I’m not sure. There seems to be some correlation with salt and hypertension. But I don’t feel qualified to really say.

Take this with a grain of salt (sorry, mod privileges): that sounds like way too much added salt.

My stance is that adding a bit of sea salt to food is great for flavor, but generally not needed. From what I've heard, the western diet contains too much sodium already.

You could ask @Michael569. Besides, there's a book on salt by the same name if you want to delve deeper.

Edited by UnbornTao

you're lucky, these guys just released their latest article on this topic. 

https://mynutritionscience.com/misinformation/

A great blog ran by a non-profit group of nutrition science geeks, worth subbing to this. Would love to be part of this team :D

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Buy the salt that contains 50% potassium chloride. Problem solved. You can then pretty much consume as much as you want within reason. 

Salt is dehydrating and can create excess mineral build-up in the body leading to health issues down the line. I usually stay away from it or apply it minimally 1/4 - 1/2 tsp a day at most when I am having more cooked meals. Other than that, we really don't need it, there is Sodium in most foods.