Michael569

Should I Go Back To School With My Lp?

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys, 

A question that's been bugging me for a while now. 

For months I have been working to figure out my life calling and I think I found it. The tough part is, my current education is completely outside of that. I should probably go back to school and get a new degree but not sure I feel like spending another 5 years doing seminar works, thesis and freakin presentations just to get the degree. I am worried that without it I would not be taken seriously even if I had that knowledge. 

I know I'm just probably being lazy and comfortable but have any of you been in this? Or how did you make the transition if your LP was a completely completely different thing. 

Thanks for any advice, much appreciated. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Evilwave Heddy

Something in area of Nutrition, Fitness and general Wellbeing. I haven't figured out the concept or the vision but definitely within these categories.  This is something I have been passionate about since I was a kid but never considered it more than a hobby. My current degree is Business Management and Marketing. 

Ideally I'd need to get into Nutrition and Biochemistry. That's like twisting the whole life around which scares me to be honest. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Getting a degree is becoming less important. Self education and experience is the way to go. If you can show your skills and knowledge in a job interview, that will be more important than a piece of paper. Of course, not in all professions. You can't become a surgeon or a lawyer without the degree. But in fitness and nutrition...your own body will be the best proof that you've mastered the subject. 

If you'll gain necessary knowledge at university, then why wouldn't you go to university? You'll get a degree AND your required skillset.

But if you are going in ONLY for the degree, I would seriously reconsider going. It could be a waste of time, money, and energy.

It really depends on your degree. You could find other people who've become successful in your desired area and see what they've done: school or self-teaching.

I think in the area of fitness and nutrition, you probably don't need a degree. This field is very competitive so you need to get some experience, a degree might turn out to be a waste of time, money, resources.

Try to gather information about what is required to crack the interviews. Learn some social interpersonal skills because obviously you'll be dealing with clients and your skills will come handy.:)good luck

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

The nice thing about a LP is that you're already in it for the long haul, so you get to stop beating yourself up about some imaginary deadline you have in your head.  Many ground-breaking health and nutrition experts simply put a lot of time and effort into figuring out how to heal themselves, and shared what they learned with others.  That's why there's such a rainbow of nutritional theories out there.  Just keep learning.  Just keep sharing.  Going back to school could be a nice vehicle for learning and networking, but it could also be limiting if you're just using it for comfort.  Maybe your short term goals could be to simply fill out some of the preliminary paper work, and walking around campus?  And as a side goal, maybe try offering your own class (on whatever) at a Natural Grocers.  They'll even give you $100 to buy ingredients to teach your students something.  I did some green smoothie classes, and some classes on occult yogi knowledge and the gut.  Was super eye-opening.

Thanks to all of you. I see there are many aspects to consider. 

This will take a lot of inner contemplation and probably some coaching. 

Appreciate all your responses!