The Mystical Man

The Whale (2022) - My New Favorite Movie ?

29 posts in this topic

The Whale is finally available for streaming; it's a new movie by Darren Aronofsky, the director of Mother! and Requiem for a Dream. 

I've been looking forward to this movie for a while. I knew I was going to love it, but it's even better than expected. Within the first fifteen minutes I could intuit that Aronofsky was setting up a powerful climax, and the ending did make me sob. This is the kind of movie I love: it's intimate, it's sublime, and it's about raw humanity.

Edited by The Mystical Man

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

The music is beautiful. And Fraser's performance is outstanding.

Actually, I wanted to watch this movie in the theatres, but I'm glad I didn't. At home I could cry in peace.

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

My favorite track from the score ⬆️

??

This one is powerful, too ?

The Whale is the rare great work of art I live for.

6 hours ago, The Mystical Man said:

Darren Aronofsky, the director of Mother!

Now I am watching it defenitly. This director is legendary. He made the fountain too, A very powerful and artistic movie.

31 minutes ago, LSD-Rumi said:

He made the fountain too

The Fountain is good. I have yet to watch Pi and Black Swan. But I can't watch other movies right now -- I'm still digesting The Whale.

The Whale will polarize you. You're either going to love it or hate it. I don't think anyone can watch The Whale and say, "It's okay." You're either going to sob or say that it's overrated crap.

I have seen almost all of his movies, but The Whale is probably the most depressing one. Incredible acting by all protagonists.

My thoughts on the ending: Spoiler ⬇️

I don't think the ending actually happened. I think Ellie left. Charlie wanted Ellie to be good, because he wanted to get at least this one thing right in his life, but the mother is right: Ellie is evil. She didn't send those images to help Thomas. There was no way she could've known how his parents would react. There's no way Charlie could've walked. Charlie created this fantasy to cope with the misery of his life. 

I think you should delete the last text mate. It's a huge spoiler for those who haven't seen the movie...

Just now, FourCrossedWands said:

I think you should delete the last text mate. It's a huge spoiler for those who haven't seen the movie...

That's why it's hidden.

Just now, FourCrossedWands said:

Sorry, my bad.

You can use this tag to hide text: [spoiler][/spoiler]

Watched it with my family and liked it. :) Also I interpreted the ending the same way as You.

Sometimes the delivery of the dialogue (or maybe the dialogue itself) felt a bit off to me but overall it was good. I found a lot of meaning in it.

Edited by Sincerity

15 hours ago, cjoseph90 said:

watched it twice

I'll watch it again in the theaters ?

15 hours ago, Sincerity said:

Sometimes the delivery of the dialogue (or maybe the dialogue itself) felt a bit off to me but overall it was good

The Whale is not a Masterpiece -- that's the highest accolade, which I reserve for timeless and flawless works of art like Moby-Dick. As great as The Whale is, it doesn't reach that standard. Most movies don't, and that's fine ?

9 minutes ago, The Mystical Man said:

Most movies don't, and that's fine ?

?? !!

A24 is remastering Aronofsky's debut feature:

Thanks for recommending it. I've just watched it and it was the best movie I've ever seen. 

@The Mystical Man I like your taste in general I think. Can you recommend me a a bunch of high quality, conscious movies and books (fiction books) to watch / read.

It doesn't  have to be the same genre as the whale, but something on the same level of artistry or above.

1 hour ago, Something Funny said:

Can you recommend me a a bunch of high quality, conscious movies and books (fiction books) to watch / read.

Movies I consider to be Masterpieces:

1. Star Wars (Original Trilogy)
  2. The Shawshank Redemption
  3. Groundhog Day
  4. 12 Angry Men
  5. Spirited Away

Honorable Mentions:

• Prisoners (no comedic relief; pure tragedy)
  • Mulholland Drive
  • The Lighthouse
  • Downfall

Novels I consider to be Masterpieces:

1. Lolita (best English prose ever put to page)
  2. Moby-Dick
  3. East of Eden
  4. The Perfume (best German novel ever written)
  5. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Honorable Mentions:

• Of Mice and Men
  • City of Thieves
  • The Alchemist

Shows I consider to be Masterpieces:

1. The Sopranos

Honorable Mentions:

• Six Feet Under (best show finale ever)

I like almost everything I post in this thread: