DefinitelyNotARobot

Question about falsehood

5 posts in this topic

"We set out to disprove our theories and it's when can't disprove them that we say this must be getting at something really true about our reality. So, I think we should do that in all aspects of our lives. If you think that something is true you should try as hard as you can to disprove it. Only then can you really get at the truth and not fool yourself."

On the surface this sounds sensible. As I unterstand it, the spiritual approach is more about cleansing yourself from false beliefs and creating space for awareness to blossom (emptying the cup), than attaining something or getting somewhere.

However I can also see the human minds tendency to use skepticism as a tool to question the things that don't fit into our world view. So what do you do about that entire concept of disproving stuff? Do you try to disprove that? Can everything that is false be proven false, or are there things that are false, which would take multiple lifetimes to prove wrong within the limits of this materialistic approach?

Basically I'm interested in how the investigation of falsehood relates to Truth. Can you ever arrive at Truth when all you're focused on is falsehood? I mean falsehood IS Truth in one sense, right?

It makes sense to me, but something about how it has been worded in the video puts me off. I'm not sure what it is, so I hope you could help me understand exactly how far this skepticism can bring you.

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

beep boop

It is to my understanding that God is the the one who delivers Truth and exposes falsehood. Destroys it.

“I can of mine own self do nothing.”

“But it is my Father who does the works.”

Only God can destroy falsehood, otherwise you’re on your own playing a game with it.

“Truth has come, and falsehood has departed. Indeed is falsehood, [by nature], ever bound to depart."

“Truth always prevails, falsehood does not.”

Mumbo Jumbo.

Falsehood is false.

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

reality is truth, then, by definition, falsehood does not exist. it's just an appearance. it is the appearance of lack of love. It sounds strange. there can be no lack of love, reality is love. but the self is constituted in such a way that it seems to be separated from the truth, so it invents this whole compendium of gradations of falsehood and truth, this world full of nuances. the self is capable of moving away from itself and isolating itself in the lack of love, falsehood. all extremely elaborate, complex, logical, apparently real creations. everything is imagination. everything is a strange game, a challenge of the self that seeks to make love with itself

Edited by Breakingthewall

I'm currently reading a beautiful book by Nisargadatta Maharaj, called "I Am That". It resonates with the realizations I have had, and goes deeper than many of the texts I've seen.

On the subject of truth, I was contemplating this last night:

All is a play in consciousness. All divisions are illusory. You can know the false only. The true you must yourself be.

Neti Neti is the inward journey of discarding each layer that proves not to be yourself (body, thoughts, feelings, etc.) until only the essence remains. The ultimate truth of your nature is beyond conceptualization and can only be directly realized. People try to know what they are, but you can only know what you are not. Inner realization is absolute, and is mysterious to the mind. It is the opening of the third eye. Direct realization dissolves apparent boundaries. You see the same essence that pervades the potentialities of the void and the expressions of the cosmos, and is beyond both.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.