Ulax

Voice note journalling

8 posts in this topic

Does anyone here do voice journaling? I.e. speaking about a topic in your personal life and having a voice recorder note it.

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

Yes I used to do this when there were two conflicting opinions inside me. For example when I really wanted to achieve something but some fear was stopping me from doing it. I would record myself from the perspective of that fear and then from the perspective of my progressive self. I would later listen to both recordings and come up with a solution where it's a win win for both perspectives. (Without bulldozing my fear I would make a solution to go forward with the goal where my fear either dissolved or felt more secure). I would repeat it a few times for the same problem and then the issue would disappear completely. 

I've been doing that for a long time. Basically going on a walk and talking out loud about stuff while recording it, for about 30-60 minutes.

I do it to get things off my chest. After I do it I never listen to the recording, I could as well delete all of them or not record at all. But I like to feel like I'm talking to someone. :D Also people are not weirded out because they think I'm talking to a friend over the phone.

I recommend You try it. You can also use it to get better at talking, projecting your voice, etc.

However I find that for "deeper thought", a written journal is much better.

@Sincerity Thanks.

34 minutes ago, Sincerity said:

However I find that for "deeper thought", a written journal is much better.

How come?

Be-Do-Have

1 hour ago, Ulax said:

How come?

Well, I find that to go deep I need to be more still and concetrated. Also I'm more of a visual person and I like to see what I've written, think and then proceed onwards. And I like expressing my thoughts as eloquently as possible. I find that I can achieve that by writing and moreover I think that when doing it in such a "quality" and thoughtful way, the quality of my introspection increases.

During these voice journalling walks I'm mostly chattering in a less focused way. Throwing stuff out. I find it valuable to do sometimes and I've done it over a hundred times already (literally). There's a place for everything. But yeah, to go deeper I usually go for contemplation with a journal.

I haven't tried voice journalling while being still. Maybe there'd be some value to that, I dunno. 

Edited by Sincerity

13 hours ago, Ulax said:

Does anyone here do voice journaling? I.e. speaking about a topic in your personal life and having a voice recorder note it.

You missed this

Edited by mmKay

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

Oh my mistake, also, i meant to say that I listen to the voice recording afterwards. My current thinking is that it might meet the human need to feel heard.

Be-Do-Have

@Leo Gura I'd appreciate your perspective on voice journaling too, if you're willing, please.

Also, I'd appreciate your perspective on using voice journalling to go through the contemplative questions on the life purpose course, please.

Be-Do-Have