Someone here

I don't know anything

25 posts in this topic

Leo has an amazing video on Not-Knowing. Please go watch it if you haven't already. 

My claim Is simple... I don't actually know anything. I have no idea at all what anything is. 

That doesn't mean I can't brush my teeth or I don't know how to tie my shoes. I'm speaking about an advanced thing. Nothing is wrong with relative knowledge. But in truth. You don't have a clue what anything is. 

I feel like a broken record for saying it, for some of you that's nonsense I've come to expect from this forum. Unfortunately, the vast majority of members here don't want to hear the raw fucking Truth. and not a single one of them can offer any compelling reason to believe in their ideas.

Recently I've been constantly contemplating the question of death.. What happenes when we fucking die? 

no one knows the answer, and anyone who says otherwise is lying whether they realize it or not. Maybe this world is a simulation the way Bostrom suggests. Maybe it's an elaborate illusion conjured up by the mind like Shankara thought. Maybe it's just matter like Dennett describes.  The point is that no one knows.

If you are looking to explain away reality then you are looking to demystify the mystery, but it’s always there, you are always there and you are always a mystery. The answer you look for is to have no answer and that is why you don’t find it, this doesn’t satisfy you, you’re always thinking there must be more, something you’re not getting, but you’re here, what is there to get?

When reality asks why it exists this begins the apparent disassembly of itself, it divides itself, because it feels it is not enough, but all those divisions are it, what new answer can it expect to find? To ask “why” is to believe that what “IS” is not enough to satisfy you, there must be “reason”, but reason is boundless for what is the very reason of reason? Reason is there for its own sake, there’s no reason underlying reason, every reason reached you can ask “why”... Every single one, and you’re free to ask why for eternity but you’re chasing your own tail. Reason itself is circular reasoning, the most perfect reasoning, it is because it is, you can subdivide reason and create a whole universe but it’s an illusion, the only reason is just that it just is.

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

18 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Recently I've been constantly contemplating the question of death.. What happenes when we fucking die? 

no one knows the answer, and anyone who says otherwise is lying whether they realize it or not. Maybe this world is a simulation the way Bostrom suggests. Maybe it's an elaborate illusion conjured up by the mind like Shankara thought. Maybe it's just matter like Dennett describes.  The point is that no one knows.

If you don't know anything, how do you know that you will die?

Do you think death is something to be afraid of? 

18 minutes ago, Someone here said:

If you are looking to explain away reality then you are looking to demystify the mystery, but it’s always there, you are always there and you are always a mystery. The answer you look for is to have no answer and that is why you don’t find it, this doesn’t satisfy you, you’re always thinking there must be more, something you’re not getting, but you’re here, what is there to get?

Well put ?

9 minutes ago, Jannes said:

If you don't know anything, how do you know that you will die?

Do you think death is something to be afraid of

Well.. Like I said In OP there is a paradox between relative knowledge and absolute knowledge. 

As we look back into human history, in this context, statistically, all of us will die. But, you and I haven't died yet. Therefore there is no concrete evidence that we will die. You and I can live on together forever. We could have children and watch our children's children have children, and we'll be hoverboarding through interdimensional realities with our great great great grandchildren. That's ultimately unknown. That's from the absolute perspective. The possibilities are endless. 

Ofcourse I'm scared shitless of death. So are you. Maybe you are just in denial about it. But I'm fully aware of my fear of death. 

-Osho

29 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Well.. Like I said In OP there is a paradox between relative knowledge and absolute knowledge. 

Fair. I thought you didn't apply that to the question of death. My bad.

29 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Ofcourse I'm scared shitless of death. So are you. Maybe you are just in denial about it. But I'm fully aware of my fear of death. 

@Someone here I am scared of death. But I realized that it's just a bunch of conceptual garbage when I contemplated the topic of death on magic truffles. The more I thought about it the less scary it became. That's a short take on it from me. 

7 hours ago, Someone here said:

no one knows the answer, and anyone who says otherwise is lying whether they realize it or not.

Death is the ULTIMATE illusion to fool God into believing it's separate. Consider from God's POV, If you were Infinite and Eternal and ONE what would you do? 

7 hours ago, Jannes said:

Death is a concept

Why do you think death is real? You say it’s obvious, we see people, animals and plants dying all the time so of course death is real. But death isn’t a body falling dead it’s the actual experience and the experience death is not a fact. The philosophical mind body problem would need to be solved for that. 
When I was a child the topic of introducing the concept of death wasn’t easy for my parents. My younger 3 year old sister at the time found a dead mouse once and my parents chatted about how this must have probably opened her to the possibility that death is a fact. That’s how death gets introduced. We see other dead creatures and wonder what we will experience if we ever fall dead. So death is a concept that we learn. Death is not an a priori fact about life. When we question our assumptions about death we learn that they are actually just assumptions and not reality. What death literally is for me is a combination of „lonely, cold, fear, dismal, oppressive, a bit of agoraphobia, uncomfortable, cold wind breathing through a terrible cave, heavy metal music, ..“. That’s what death literally is. These beliefs are of course laughable. We don’t think that this is what we mean when we talk about death but because we hold these beliefs unconscious and because these beliefs are so terrible that we don’t dare to make them conscious death seems super real for our entire life. 

Good analysis.

In my opinion, death depends on the point of view. You lose your consciousness, your Mind and your Body. Your atomic compunds though, have the chance to be the building parts of a new living being. If there is anything else about us, it would surely also find a way into our world's equilibrium to be used as someone else's. Death is just a word. We are just impossibly complex chemical reactions. Nobody ever saw death and came back to tell us about it, so fuck all hearsay.  

I agree that we don't have a complete evidence that we ourselves will die because we only observe others dying. But at the same time we are decaying every single day and getting older and weaker.. What will be the end of this decaying process? 

-Osho

1 hour ago, Godishere said:

Death is the ULTIMATE illusion to fool God into believing it's separate. Consider from God's POV, If you were Infinite and Eternal and ONE what would you do? 

Obviously the 'true' you cannot die. Because the true you isn't anything in particular. We can destroy the whole universe and nothing will remain. And that will be you existing as nothing. But Im particularly concerned about what exactly is going to happen when the body stop functioning. 

-Osho

19 minutes ago, Someone here said:

But Im particularly concerned about what exactly is going to happen when the body stop functioning. 

If you define knowledge as your ability to accurately model and predict things, it's very true that you essentially don't know anything. Look at a dust particle flying inside your room through a sun beam coming from outside your window. How on Earth would you predict its movement down to each air molecule? Down to each quantum fluctuation? With a bird flying in the room and disturbing the air? With a vacuum cleaner in the other room causing a slight breeze under the door crack? With a semi-truck driving by the house and causing slight vibrations in the floor and walls? You quickly see how flimsy and limited our attempts at modelling reality truly are.

Now, if Leo already said this in his video, I apologize. I didn't watch his not-knowing video. I prefer not knowing in this scenario ;) 

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

11 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

If you define knowledge as your ability to accurately model and predict things, it's very true that you essentially don't know anything. Look at a dust particle flying inside your room through a sun beam coming from outside your window. How on Earth would you predict its movement down to each air molecule? Down to each quantum fluctuation? With a bird flying in the room and disturbing the air? With a vacuum cleaner in the other room causing a slight breeze under the door crack? With a semi-truck driving by the house and causing slight vibrations in the floor and walls? You quickly see how flimsy and limited our attempts at modelling reality truly are.

Exactly! I think that's called the butterfly effect in physics. Is that you can't fully predict the outcome of any system because the probabilities are endless. 

ALL I know is that I know nothing and it was a lot easier than knowing everything. in fact I find it hard to believe any of us earthlings know ANYTHING (for sure) at all.
I'll grant you most people think they know a lot of things but all we really know is regarding relations between things. We know nothing about absolutes or the nature of things in themselves, which is what I would consider real knowledge.

I don’t think there is any person who can claim he knows everything on all matters. There will be many subjects, many issues you won’t have least knowledge . I don’t say its great thing to say I know nothing but its quite normal and honest admission. To admit, when you know nothing, on a given subject is great thing.

24 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Now, if Leo already said this in his video, I apologize. I didn't watch his not-knowing video. I prefer not knowing in this case  ;)

You definitely should go watch It ASAP. One of Leo's greatest 'hits'. 

-Osho

First look into what life is, then that will maybe answer the death question.

Based on hearsay, I can say that knowing the nature of death is possible, by becoming conscious of what it is. Perhaps life and death aren't separate after all, and being conscious of what one is provides consciousness of the other. What happens after death is a different question, and a pointless one since you can't know

So we're left with contemplating life. What is it?

Do a meditation retreat, wonder about it, etc. Intent to know what it is for yourself.

Edited by UnbornTao

You aren’t afraid of death. You are afraid of suffering.

There is no suffering in deep sleep. And no suffering in death. What you really fear is the process of losing yourself and everything you love while you still exist.

Meditation is a lifestyle of developing a calm state of mind WHILE engaging in one’s ambitions!

Counting your breaths, chanting a mantra, and the rest of it is all ratshit and a complete waste of time. What is stopping you from meditating WHILE working on your life purpose?

@Someone here you can understand reality completely - but it is in not knowing- so you are correct.   It is at first order - or the level of Being.  Now, you can use self inquiry meditation to become first order - or do nothing meditation.  But ultimately omniscience is possible.   This will result in the falling away of the ego- which will then return - scorned.   But alas, at long last you will be liberated.   This will answer all questions and there will be no more questions.  No more suffering or fear of death at the highest level.   (Your ego will still play games but you have the ability to go meta - its not the same as before You awoke) The tricky thing is it can't come from ego which wants to force things and at the deepest level it is the Deceiver and wants to keep you from Truth.  And so It has to be the falling away of the ego through surprise.  This is the dilemma.  How do you remove yourself when the thing you are trying to remove is you. (At the same time, it's not because it is an illusory veil blanketing Truth).  But ultimately if you cut off the conceptual mind the dilemma is lifted.  

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

2 hours ago, Inliytened1 said:

@Someone here you can understand reality completely - but it is in not knowing- so you are correct.   It is at first order - or the level of Being.  Now, you can use self inquiry meditation to become first order - or do nothing meditation.  But ultimately omniscience is possible.   This will result in the falling away of the ego- which will then return - scorned.   But alas, at long last you will be liberated.   This will answer all questions and there will be no more questions.  No more suffering or fear of death at the highest level.   (Your ego will still play games but you have the ability to go meta - its not the same as before You awoke) The tricky thing is it can't come from ego which wants to force things and at the deepest level it is the Deceiver and wants to keep you from Truth.  And so It has to be the falling away of the ego through surprise.  This is the dilemma.  How do you remove yourself when the thing you are trying to remove is you. (At the same time, it's not because it is an illusory veil blanketing Truth).  But ultimately if you cut off the conceptual mind the dilemma is lifted.  

I've found this happens automatically, in fact surprise and deception is at the heart of everything. You deceive yourself to put yourself asleep and you fool yourself to awaken. Every awakening I have had has been through deceiving my ego, or basically getting rid of it usually by surrender. As we know the ego isn't allowed to access or grasp absolute truth. That illusion gotta go. 

The same strength, the same level of desire it takes to change your life, is the same strength, the same level of desire it takes to end your life. Notice you are headed towards one or the other. - Razard86

Your ACTIONS REVEAL how you REALLY FEEL. Want TRUTH? Observe and ADMIT, do the OPPOSITE of what you usually do which is observe and DENY. - Razard86

Think about it.....Leo gave the best definition of the truth I ever heard...."The truth is what is..." so if that is the truth.... YOUR ACTIONS IN THE PRESENT ARE THE TRUTH!! It's what's happening....do you like what you see? Can you accept it? You are just a SENTIENT MIRROR, OBSERVING ITS REFLECTION..... can you accept what appears? -Razard86

@Someone here There can be a fear of not knowing what's going to happen, which is an egoic projection. It creates an event somewhere in the future and needs to know the outcome. That is an illusion. Once the illusion is seen through there is no longer any fear and then there's a freedom in not knowing. You can do whatever you want to do without needing to know the answer to every question that might come up. 

@Someone here That is the game we are playing. Forgetting to have the experience of discovery. 

Too often we rely of the perspectives of others over our own direct experience. Instead of adopting others perspectives, strive to discover the truth within yourself. 

4 hours ago, Razard86 said:

I've found this happens automatically, in fact surprise and deception is at the heart of everything. You deceive yourself to put yourself asleep and you fool yourself to awaken. Every awakening I have had has been through deceiving my ego, or basically getting rid of it usually by surrender. As we know the ego isn't allowed to access or grasp absolute truth. That illusion gotta go. 

Yeah..i mean brute force methods like 5-MeO could simply annihilate the ego and bring instant ego death and God Consciousness - I don't know how true that is though since my awakening was sober.  I still think you have to be ready for God.    The sober way I believe has to be via the element of surprise. 

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

How do I know that I don't know? 

Sailing on the ceiling 

I know one thing and that thing explains all the other things: reality has no limits. This is so, and there is no doubt.

if reality is unlimited, reality is one, since the absence of limits means that, ultimately, there is no separation between anything.

If reality is one, obviously, I am reality, since I am, and there is nothing else.

Since there are no limits, there is no death, or birth, therefore, any appearance that something is happening, of a time line, is pure illusion.

everything is now, everything is one, everything is me, appearing to be multiple, temporary and separate. so there is only one thing to do: I immerse myself and dive in the depth, since the other dimension, the linear one, is false

I know one thing and that thing explains all the other things: reality has no limits. This is so, and there is no doubt.

if reality is unlimited, reality is one, since the absence of limits means that, ultimately, there is no separation between anything.

If reality is one, obviously, I am reality, since I am, and there is nothing else.

Since there are no limits, there is no death, or birth, therefore, any appearance that something is happening, of a time line, is pure illusion.

everything is now, everything is one, everything is me, appearing to be multiple, temporary and separate. so there is only one thing to do: I immerse myself and dive in the depth, since the other dimension, the linear one, is false 

What do I find by diving into the limitless depths of myself? a mysterious jungle of intricate beauty that unfolds endlessly, made of pure love. 

Edited by Breakingthewall

40 minutes ago, Breakingthewall said:

Notice what word you started that sentence with. 

If.

If your understanding of reality is based on assumption then you have already gone astray.  If it was your direct experience then there is no if.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.