UnbornTao

Becoming an entrepreneur

20 posts in this topic

Like how this guy comes across.

You should check out people who are effective at business in general. Also seek out the underlying principles of the endeavor you intend to master for more powerful learning.

update: there, changed the video to better suit our purpose here.

Edited by UnbornTao

10 things to do before starting a business:

1. Stop procrastinating
  2. Stop procrastinating
  3. Stop procrastinating

4. Stop procrastinating

5. Stop procrastinating

6. Stop procrastinating

7. Stop procrastinating

8. Stop procrastinating

9. Stop procrastinating

10. Stop listening to sketchy MLM scammers like Patrick Bet-David and learn to recognise what real ethical entrepreneurs talk like, by digging for interviews with CEOs who started companies that you actually think are cool, instead of the slick ones screaming for your attention and playing into your fears 

Edited by flowboy

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

@flowboy  didn't mention any of his advice per se but that being grounded is a quality of him I recognize and appreciate. I can see why people would subscribe to his content. His channel has millions of followers, so can't deny in that regard that he's effective whether one likes what he offers or not, or how it's offered.

Point is, some individuals are good at business in general. You can try to glean their mindset, attitudes, dispositions and principles when it comes to managing your biz. Appropriate questions to ask are: What do they do? How do they think? How do they come across? How come they have multiple successful businesses? What do they do differently? How do they experience and perceive the world in a way that allows them to succeed?

I don't know the guy, nor do I care. This thread is meant to point to attitude, experience and mindset rather than individuals in particular. In any case, Eben Pagan and Seth Godin are a couple of my preferences.

Recommend an entrepreneur who is effective and who you resonate with.

Edited by UnbornTao

@UnbornTao I also think PBD is likeable - but I don't perceive him as grounded, more slick like an experienced conman. Similar energy to Jordan Belfort actually. And he built PHP Insurance, which is an MLM, which is a legal kind of Ponzi scheme, when I found that out I realised he's not ethical at all and stopped liking him.

And what I don't like about the video you linked, is that it's a subtle con: it enables the procrastinator by giving him more reasons not to actually start. And says that first, you have to learn how to sell, and this and that, it's all bad advice. You learn all those things by doing. Videos like these are just giving a procrastinator more reasons to not take action and watch more Patrick Bet-David videos instead, put some ad money in his pocket, maybe buy his course or whatever. I don't see good intentions with that guy whatsoever. He's stage Red imo.

Notice the non-scammy vibe :P

Edited by flowboy

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

@flowboy Says the person with 105 subscribers on YT... after 10 Years...

Can you please be more objective in the discussion, the way you first replied made me immediately dislike you even though you made good points in you second post. And for the records I didn't care for PBD at ALL, I first read about it in this thread.

@UnbornTao

I think the advice is sound, you gotta do it of course, but my main critique is that I get Gary V Vibes from him, whom I really really dislike as a person. This 'I work more than 24h a day I'm a EnTrEpReNeUr', 'Give 120% percent', 'Work, Hustle, Work, etc. etc. - might be wrong but this is what I feel. Overall better to have posted it than not.

@supremeyingyang  what the fuck xD I never said I'm more successful than any of these guys, now did I?

Why do you take it so personally that I dislike scammers, and then turn it into a personal attack at me? xD

Completely inappropriate.

Thanks for checking out my channel though.

Edited by flowboy

He is not wrong. Those are all very legit points but if you wait till you have mastered all to start a business, you will be waiting a long time. 

For example "learn how to sell" without actually having contact with prospective clients is impossible. You can read books but in the end you need to be rejected a numerous times, fail to sell, stutter and just see a prospective client go from ^_^ to :| many times to pick up the subtleties of selling. I can't tell you how many times I failed to sell a package because I thought I knew what the client wanted (and that was what they were saying) but in reality there was a deeper need they were not communicating, which is what they really wanted and I failed to pick that up. A good salesman can go beyond the spoken words because it is rare that people just want the surface stuff, there is always a deeper desire below

The bit about motivating yourself that Erik rightfully touched on is a big one and I don't think most people appreciate the privilege it is to have someone in your 9-5 job tell you what to do and then praise or criticise you for it. As a n interpreneur you do things that bear no fruit for months even years and all you see, very often is lack of success. Again, I don't think you can learn this without first being in that environment. That tolerance of uncertainty will either make you or break you. 

I like the "death ground" one tho. It is a powerful motivator but if you do business that way you can burn out from the stress and loos nights of sleep. 

Overall, I think it was a decent content, practical and applicable but I doubt you can learn most of it from books. You gotta start business and then you are learning on the go. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Yeah, everything's fine with your channel and I'll watch some videos after work;)

That subscriber line was just a punchline, I have even less subscriber (even though I don't do it for 10 years). The point is I don't get your first post, especially reading valid critique in the second. And I don't take it personal that you attack scammers (I don't know him), I take it personal that I read the begin another low quali discussion even though Leo made a pretty good case that we should try to improve. I mean we can go into the 10 arguments or discuss better videos, but that first reply brings not much I feel.

13 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

He is not wrong. Those are all very legit points but if you wait till you have mastered all to start a business, you will be waiting a long time.

+1

The bit about motivating yourself that Erik rightfully touched on is a big one and I don't think most people appreciate the privilege it is to have someone in your 9-5 job tell you what to do and then praise or criticise you for it. As a n interpreneur you do things that bear no fruit for months even years and all you see, very often is lack of success. Again, I don't think you can learn this without first being in that environment. 

I agree but where Erik said that? He only said do not procratinate, or am I missind something.

I like the "death ground" one tho. It is a powerful motivator but if you do business that way you can burn out from the stress and loos nights of sleep. 

Yes, I think many E's think that working 80 is the same as doing good. It's much more difficult. I also hate it if someone brags with their insane extra workhours (50, 60, 70,...) especially as an employee. "You got compensated for it?" - "No", "You got a raise after months of that grind work?" - "No", "You learned something?" - "No, was just busy work" --- then why brag about it?? 80% of the people, wallah billah.

Edited by supremeyingyang

2 hours ago, supremeyingyang said:

I agree but where Erik said that? He only said do not procratinate, or am I missind something.

procrastination = loss of motivation which is usually caused by being overwhelmed. I don't believe n procrastination out of laziness. People procrastinate because they don't know where to start and are overwhelmed by things they need to do 

2 hours ago, supremeyingyang said:

Yes, I think many E's think that working 80 is the same as doing good. It's much more difficult. I also hate it if someone brags with their insane extra workhours (50, 60, 70,...) especially as an employee. "You got compensated for it?" - "No", "You got a raise after months of that grind work?" - "No", "You learned something?" - "No, was just busy work" --- then why brag about it?? 80% of the people, wallah billah.

I mean, you can work 50 and get more done than a guy with 80. I don't know about you but after 4 hours of deeply intense work, I cannot continue. Like my brain circuits responsible for deep focus get so fried that I can't do that more than once a day. Sure, you can do 12 hours a day if half of that is replying to social media content and admin work. 

But where you have to actually isolate yourself and do the work that matters, I doubt even people like Cal Newport can clock more than 5 hours of intense work per day. It just isn't possible. 

I do 3 focus slots per day, each 60-70 mins long spread across the day as I also have to dedicate time to my 9-5 job and trust me by the end of that third, I am absolutely exhausted mentally. Even on weekends when I don't do 9-5 bit. I feel exactly the same way at the end of the day. 

If somebody could figure out how to extend that resilience to mental fatigue after intense focus session, I'd be willing to pay a lot of money. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

1 hour ago, Michael569 said:

procrastination = loss of motivation which is usually caused by being overwhelmed. I don't believe n procrastination out of laziness. People procrastinate because they don't know where to start and are overwhelmed by things they need to do

We think close enough in this, no need to fight over details :)

I mean, you can work 50 and get more done than a guy with 80. I don't know about you but after 4 hours of deeply intense work, I cannot continue. Like my brain circuits responsible for deep focus get so fried that I can't do that more than once a day. Sure, you can do 12 hours a day if half of that is replying to social media content and admin work.

Yes, more than 4h deep focus work is either taking a toll on you health or happens out of luck of being in a top state that day.

But where you have to actually isolate yourself and do the work that matters, I doubt even people like Cal Newport can clock more than 5 hours of intense work per day. It just isn't possible.

Yes - and that's enough. Of course you might need to do 8h or busy work in addition to that to deliver the worth of the 5h. But even that I'd suggest is not sustainable and should therefore only be done when one know one can get a big price in, say, 2 months of super intense work. After that you gonna need 2 weeks vacation and normal work hours then - or you burn out. Some types of work can be super exhausting even after 6h, say being a  quality psychotherapist. 

I do 3 focus slots per day, each 60-70 mins long spread across the day as I also have to dedicate time to my 9-5 job and trust me by the end of that third, I am absolutely exhausted mentally. Even on weekends when I don't do 9-5 bit. I feel exactly the same way at the end of the day.

Yes, I know that. I can only do one of your slots beside my day job, but then 1-2 on the weekend.

If somebody could figure out how to extend that resilience to mental fatigue after intense focus session, I'd be willing to pay a lot of money. 

Hm, maybe you can be better with your slots if you sacrifice some parts of your life, but this will hurt you eventually. I think you are already doing good, maybe you can make more out of your time? Sometimes I want to do 3 things after work, but then it's more efficient to slack off for a not defined time until I'm like 'Ok, that is boring, I start working on X' instead of 8h this, 30 min break then 1h of y, 30 min break, then 1h of x, 30 min break and then 1h of z. The latter planning looks better on paper, but it'll be killed by reality.

I will admit that my post was a bit on the testy side.

Definitely some shadow involved there.

Something that Patrick Bet-David represents to me, that I hate.

Something around taking advantage of people who are ambitious but clueless and then purposefully leading them in the wrong direction, in order to profit.

First through MLM (I've been MLM'd in my naive years and I've seen friends get sucked in.), which is presented as a "job" or "business opportunity", but ends up costing 99% of people more than they make in it.

Now through business advice (telling ambitious people who want to start a business maybe, that they need all of these skills first, basically compelling them to keep consuming PBD content instead of what would be in their best interest - which is to actually start and figure it out from there)

And on top of that, he hides the fact that he made his money through MLM, when he talks about himself he never mentions it, he's basically "going legit" just like a Mafia member would. Much like the Mafia members he interviewed on his podcast. I bet he shares some values with them.

Yes, I really really dislike this guy, I think he's stage Red with zero integrity.

Thank you @UnbornTao for responding with patient curiosity and not assuming that I meant anything negative towards you for posting it.

Edited by flowboy

2 hours ago, flowboy said:

And on top of that, he hides the fact that he made his money through MLM, when he talks about himself he never mentions it, he's basically "going legit" just like a Mafia member would. Much like the Mafia members he interviewed on his podcast. I bet he shares some values with them.

100%. I dislike him as well and still he is an interesting study object, at least to not get tricked by someone like him. Now I gonna watch something from your Channel and become subscriber 109.

11 hours ago, supremeyingyang said:

100%. I dislike him as well and still he is an interesting study object, at least to not get tricked by someone like him. Now I gonna watch something from your Channel and become subscriber 109.

Aw thanks ?☺️

I’m Dutch actually. I only came to Austria in order to move in with a girl I met on the Actualized forum.

1 hour ago, flowboy said:

Aw thanks ?☺️

I’m Dutch actually. I only came to Austria in order to move in with a girl I met on the Actualized forum.

No Jokes? Seems to be a based relationship, sometimes I wish someone in my circle would care for the content. I know 1(!) person who found the channel on his own and he is like it's ok. Everyone I show it to is like, mimimi it's in english, mimimi the videos are too long etc. -.-

29 minutes ago, supremeyingyang said:

No Jokes? Seems to be a based relationship, sometimes I wish someone in my circle would care for the content. I know 1(!) person who found the channel on his own and he is like it's ok. Everyone I show it to is like, mimimi it's in english, mimimi the videos are too long etc. -.-

Yeah I used to send it around, but it's hard to get people to watch it. One friend of mine, she actually got way deep into the Spiral Dynamics videos. I respect that a lot.

@flowboy

I mean Actualized is basically a fandom at this point. Ain't nobody understand it unless they grew with it. I should better say few... Spiral Dynamics? I showed it to my Sociology Profs. and they are like the shit is nice, but ain't that psychology? Academia can be so stupid, reinventing a non-round wheel ain't nobody needs:D

Edited by supremeyingyang

On 2/21/2023 at 8:59 AM, Michael569 said:

Overall, I think it was a decent content, practical and applicable but I doubt you can learn most of it from books. You gotta start business and then you are learning on the go. 

Pretty much.

@supremeyingyang @flowboy yep, probably Eben Pagan would be a better "role model" for this thread. He's an entrepreneur with stage yellow characteristics. 

Edited by UnbornTao

7 hours ago, supremeyingyang said:

@UnbornTao

Good idea. Do you have expertise with Eben Pagans work you can share?

Not really. Ordered his book a few days ago, though. Look him up on YT. His courses are expensive.