Romanov

Why is it that leftists get offended over cultural appropriation and not the people

34 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, soos_mite_ah said:

Because growing up when I was going to school, I got bullied for having thick eyebrows, putting oil in my hair, bringing indian food to school because "it smelt funny", and being told that my cultural clothes are tacky but my relatives and my parents who grew up in India/Bangladesh never got the same treatment. They weren't exposed to white supremacy and the bullying that comes with it in the same way that South Asian Americans did so they don't see the hypocrisy. A lot of these people don't know what it's like to be ostracized at the place of your birth and be seen as other your whole lives. Don't get me wrong, they deal with these issues in a much more systemic and geopolitical way which is easily arguably worse, so I'm not trying to put down their experiences with inequality. But they simply don't have the same experience of being critiqued, ostracized, and discriminated against for one thing and then 10-20 years down the line once you've had to deal with your own self hatred and finally learned to embrace your roots, you have those same people that treated you badly use the things they bullied you for as props that made them cool. But it was never seen as cool or desirable on  you even though you were the original. 

The children are mean or even ruthless, they used your origin/your culture to be mean, that's all.
It could have been any other singular characteristic, you just want to inflate your ego by talking about "white supremacy".

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

I swear the politcs session of this forum looks like a incel/red pill forum, the same dumb, ignorant, short-sided talking points shitting on leftists and projecting their own devilry on the left.

You guys are too selfish to see beyond your own bullshit.

This sub-forum failed.

16 minutes ago, Recursoinominado said:

I swear the politcs session of this forum looks like a incel/red pill forum, the same dumb, ignorant, short-sided talking points shitting on leftists and projecting their own devilry on the left.

This sub-forum failed.

lol

I imagine a pedantic guy logging onto a personal dev forum with an avatar of a buddha, going to a topic about political opponents scolding certain leftists, reading diagonally, and basically posting the most insulting and condescending message in the whole topic.

"You guys are too selfish to see beyond your own bullshit"

Ironic

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

6 hours ago, Schizophonia said:

lol

I imagine a pedantic guy logging onto a personal dev forum with an avatar of a buddha, going to a topic about political opponents scolding certain leftists, reading diagonally, and basically posting the most insulting and condescending message in the whole topic.

"You guys are too selfish to see beyond your own bullshit"

Ironic

It's usually the most selfish ones who accuse others of selfishness.

On 2/18/2023 at 9:03 AM, Romanov said:

What would you say about the other Indians/minorities who don’t feel ostracized? Those are the ones that typically vote republican. Are they all just kissing the white man’s boots? 

I mean obviously I can't speak for everyone. I was talking about why South Asian Americans (the ones who were raised here since childhood) care more about cultural appropriation than South Asian people from South Asia. 

As far as voting Republican goes, there is a number of other factors involved from the issues of racism, colorism, and Islamophobia that is present in our commnities, in addition to class dynamics, as well as political socialization from being in a red state. As a result, while some may feel that they are ostracized by other white Americans, they might still vote Republican due to other biases they may have. I know a lot of South Asian Hindus specifically who have voted for Trump, not because they hated themselves as South Asian people, but because they hated Muslim people for example. 

A lot of South Asian Americans do also deal with a degree of self-hatred when they do grow up in mainly predominantly white areas. A lot of the people in that camp do out grow that and learn to embrace their culture but there are people who also don't do that as well. There is a pressure to assimillate and keep quiet about these types of things and different people have different ways of dealing with that pressure in both healthy and unhealthy ways.  

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

On 18/02/2023 at 10:31 PM, Recursoinominado said:

This sub-forum failed.

@Recursoinominado I don't think it has necessarily failed.

Imo, you have to meet people where they are at when it comes to self-dev. If they are selfish rn, then they are selfish rn. Coming to an authentic left wing style politics, i.e. not a left wing politics just chosen out of self interest, is somewhat of an intellectual and emotional achievement.

Maybe, if you're willing and familiar with the concept, try out some spiral wizardry in the sub-section.

Be-Do-Have

You have to play the cards you're dealt

There is no failure, only feedback

@lapis Where would you place yourself politically? I.e. left or right wing? I'd be interested to hear your views. 

Be-Do-Have

You have to play the cards you're dealt

There is no failure, only feedback

It's actually a bit strange, considering cultural appropriation as evil. A white guy, dressed and speaking Mandarin in a progressively leaning university gets called all sorts of negative stuff, but the same guy, dressed, behaves and speaks Mandarin in a China town? Most people there are chill about that, and some support that guy for doing it their way.

Culture = a BIG CULT.

10 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

. A white guy, dressed and speaking Mandarin in a progressively leaning university gets called all sorts of negative stuff,

Is that actually true?

Isn’t language already a form of a mix of appropriation and made up words? In my view, everything is transforming (law of impermanence) so have a inspiration from a culture, as a artist, what’s wrong with it? Consciousness can take literally infinite forms so, why deny it? 

@Devin

On 2/21/2023 at 9:24 PM, Devin said:

Is that actually true?

Yes, it's true, when I saw a white guy dressed in the oriental attire, in left leaning universities, sometimes that guy gets the cold shoulder or demonization, despite not knowing that part of the white guy's upbringing is Chinese! And for the most part the guy's treated fairly in places like China town cuz he dresses and speaks their language well.

@Juan

On 2/22/2023 at 1:45 AM, Juan said:

Isn’t language already a form of a mix of appropriation and made up words? In my view, everything is transforming (law of impermanence) so have a inspiration from a culture, as a artist, what’s wrong with it? Consciousness can take literally infinite forms so, why deny it? 

What's wrong with it, is that you are a member of a different big cult, culturally appropriating from my big cult, looking and speaking from my big cult in your big cult, offending your in group because that's a different cult.

1 hour ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Devin

Yes, it's true, when I saw a white guy dressed in the oriental attire, in left leaning universities, sometimes that guy gets the cold shoulder or demonization, despite not knowing that part of the white guy's upbringing is Chinese! And for the most part the guy's treated fairly in places like China town cuz he dresses and speaks their language well.

He would also get chastised in conservative universities, and China town, anyone that stands out in any setting is usually found out by the heckler.

2 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Juan

What's wrong with it, is that you are a member of a different big cult, culturally appropriating from my big cult, looking and speaking from my big cult in your big cult, offending your in group because that's a different cult.

@Danioover9000 Well it’s wrong for you, not for me, also depends on the intention, if you’re mocking a culture or what. Artists, chefs, etc. can get influenced by many cultures, even if you just travel, you can appropriate some habits.