Thought Art

What makes a good leader?

38 posts in this topic

Hello Forum!

What makes a good leader? I’ll share my ideas in a few. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

A few qualities come to mind.

• Vision
  • Heart
  • Leading by Example
  • Open to Feedback
  • Desiring to understand those who follow
  • Empowering/Encouraging
  • Truthful
  • Authentic
  • Wise
  • Loving
  • Connection Oriented
  • Able to say "I Don't Know"
  • Creative
  • Articulate or able to communicate clearly
  • Assertive
  • Asks High Quality Questions
Edited by Realms of Wonder

Music is Love in disguise.

Imagine a future where Self Integration, Exploration and Creation is  normalized and encouraged.

https://wakingcall.com/

3 attributes:

- Don't look down on those who are juniors.

- One who sets personal example and follows through with demonstration time and time again.

- A person of high values and deep virtue

People who I declare as good leaders include Socrates, Spinoza, Einstien, Newton and Barack Obama. Many more, of course. Leo is among them.

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

Do you mean " good leader " or "Good leader" ? because I'm pretty sure we can come up with plenty of not so noble qualities ?

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

@mmKay What’s the difference?

◭"89"

@Thought Art From my pov, social skills and specifically power games tend not to be a very noble by default. I was trying to discern between what you may call " self-actualized leader " and " ruthlessly effective leader" 

A " ruthlessly effective leader" may be cutthroat, sociopathic, ice-cold, closeminded, a go-getter,  win at all cost attitude, narcisistic,  ideological, a chronic liar, exploitative, injust, deceitful, hustler (as in the dictionary meaning ), highly charismatic and  persuasive regardless of the ethics of the cause, dangerous , power/control/wealth hungry , etc.

So these would be at opposite ends of the spectrum. Just wanted to mention this side real quick. The question would be how to combine the best from both worlds.

Hey dude!

What comes to mind is:

- Competent

- Strategic

- Passion

- Integrity

- Patience

- Emotional control

- Courageous

- Empathetic

- Ability to be ruthless

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

It's a myth that good leaders are ruthless. The ruthless ones tend to get deposed rather quickly. A good leader requires compassion for his followers or they will eat him alive.

Ruthlessness is a bad leadership strategy in a developed country. It might work in a stage Red country.

If followers find you abusive, they will rebel against you. Unless you kill a bunch of them.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura I used to ability to be ruthlessness because i wanted to account for setting boundaries, where others will think you are a complete demon.

I.e. in government, political leaders sometimes have to make choices which they know will cause deep suffering or even death to many because they have made a cost-benefit analysis that to do otherwise would cause more suffering. Such as a military general warfare who sends a diversionary offensive that he knows will be brutally crushed by the opposite army, but it will allow their sides army as a whole to have the tactical advantage and make major gains. 

I.e. you are a political leader during  covid and you bring in measures to stop people from seeing their loved ones as they die alone in hospital beds. 

If one does not have this ability then i think one is liable to actually cause much more suffering.

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

What about as in " ruthless against his enemies ", and not his followers. Being overly compassionate may be counterproductive. 

I'm just pushing on that end of the spectrum to the maximum . We're obviously interested in the other side though. 

What must a leader be capable of doing to bring forward his cause/people even at the expense of other? Mass manipulate, create  slaughterhouses, work with hitmen exploiting children, being disloyal, invading your country, burning down lands and destroying families, letting down weaker allies..." you're either with us or against us" mentallity

Would you be willing to indoctrinate generations of children for your cause? Do public executions? Or terrorize/ threaten those who threaten your power? 

Edited by mmKay

Being ruthless isn't necessarily a negative.

Notice that whether it's positive or not depends on what one is being effective at!

You can be ruthless and effective when it comes to teaching or inspiring, that is, not willing to compromise that goal for anyone's self-agenda, not even your own.

For example, as a leader, Vernon Howard was ruthless and yet compassionate, in my view.

Edited by UnbornTao

a leader is about issuing a 4-point proposal

• what you will do
  • how long you need to do so
  • what resources you require
  • what happens when you fail/succeed

it's a finite term contract to complete given task/s

you are good to the extent you complete the task/s

Different situations, contexts require different leadership styles. There are many different leadership styles out there and I suggest you take time to discover what your leadership type is. Here is a video sharing some potential types/ categories of leadership styles. 

I am going to list some qualities I think make a good leader.

However, what a leader is can range from big and grand, to mundane and ordinary. To study and explore leadership is a caste area of study and contemplation and I recommend you make an effort to lead yourself in this regard. 

Small list (still in progress will be edited over time today)

1. 1. Someone who is a visionary. They see something others don't. They are a creator not a competitor. 
  2. A leader is self motivated
  3. A good leader is aware of his own self deception mechanisms and potential for corruption and actively works to self correct.
  4. A good leader self reflects 
  5. A good leader see the potential in others 
  6. a good leader has developed a level of integrity and wisdom and is an example to others 
  7. a good leader makes decisions with imperfect information 
  8. a good leader is a starter finisher, and a closer. This means they begin and finish tasks without having to be told or reminded. A closer is someone who is able to win the game, or bring a project to completion while others are scrambling. They close. A good leader leads others through the desert.

(more coming)

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

9. Use high quality communication and conflict resolution skills

10. Have a deep understanding and implementation of critical thinking and systems thinking skills 

11. They are an apprentice of life and human nature. They are always learning

13. They take 100% responsibility for their lives. 

14. They lead through example 

15. They know how to be decisive 

16. They have a clear, sober, grounded and mature mind. They have a high level of emotional mastery. 

17. They use long term thinking. 

18. They have a sovereign mind 

19. When everyone is is complaining, moaning, addicted, traumatized, self deceived, corrupt, devilish, petty, etc they focus on purifying themselves, developing a clear sober mind and deep roots in their understanding and embodying of the highest principles. Once achieved they see others for what they are and are unmoved and unphased by the fools around them. 

20. A good leader has a deep acceptance of reality. Deeply loving, willing to see truths others fear or shy from. Rooted in truth, oriented towards truth, embodying truth. 

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

14 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

A good leader requires compassion for his followers or they will eat him alive.

Is Jesus in this category?

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

@Eternal Unity it wasn’t his followers who did jesus in

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

@Thought Art Interesting.I'm gonna research that, thanks!

@Eternal Unity Not counting Judas I guess. But, I also know little about Jesus’s death 

◭"89"

@Thought Art Was it crucifixtion? Burning at the stake? both? Stoned to death? Beheading?

@Eternal Unity crucified by the romans not his own disciples 

◭"89"