sda

What is the difference between blaming vs gaslighting?

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I find it very hard to make a distinction in my every day to day life, the difference between being blamed versus being gaslighted. For example, if someone accuses me that I had COVID-19, first, and I began spreading COVID-19 to everyone in my house while in reality, I never had COVID-19. In this scenario, it's hard for me to know whether I am being blamed for the fact that I started COVID-19 in my house or I am being gaslighted for the fact that I started COVID-19 in my house. 

So, I would like to hear your guys opinion on the difference between blaming and gaslighting so I can make a distinction between these two in my every day to day life.

Thanks

Edited by sda

If you know what they are saying is different than reality. How are you confused? 

It's obviously gaslighting. 

When it comes to gaslighting often times you get accused of doing stuff, that you have never done(and making you believe that you did those things), but in the case of blaming, people are usually using stuff against you, that you actually did in the past.

Other way to think about it, is that when it comes to gaslighting, people are making stuff up (that you actually didn't do) so that they can justify their bad actions, but in the case of blaming its usually not that they want to justify something, but more like they try hard not to take responsibility for anything and to put all the responsibility on you.---> so if we go with framework,then gaslighting is the bigger category,  that involves blaming but more than that (because its also often used as justification for bad actions)

Edited by zurew

Gaslighting is making you think that what you are experiencing,  saying,doing is not real while it is, blaming is when they saying things based on things you really did do, not trying to change the experience if that makes sense...but the goal is the same from the one whos doing it,consequences are psychologically different on the reciver...

Edited by NoSelfSelf

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

It depends on the person’s intentions. If they actually suspected that you had Covid, they are blaming you. But if they are doing it just to make you feel guilty, it’s gaslighting. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie