Prana_y4na

Will AI make humans meaningless

64 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Leo Gura said:

But the reason a real actor gets paid $20 million is because he brings that level of brand power to a movie. Actors don't just act, they promote movies. So you would need to find a way to replace that role too. And actors bring a unique charm and style to their roles. So your AI would need to be able to create new unique styles and charm -- which is not so easy.

Well, people get attached to the charm and style of fictional animated characters, which is not really that different. If some dude in his mother's basement can get deeply attached to a hentai cat girl, he can get attached to an AI generated human-like woman and watch every movie "she's" in :P and that would cost a production company a lot less than hiring Scarlett Johansson

If you created a ridiculously hot 'actress' who was completely AI generated (but looked and sounded completely lifelike) that would still grab a lot of guy's attention and loyalty just like real actresses do. Same would prob go for a lot of women and a hot AI generated male actress. This would really just be AI enhanced animation so advanced that it looks like real life. It's not that crazy.

I wouldn't be that surprised if production companies were at least looking into these kinds of options with the AI tech that's available now. It has the potential to save them a lot of money. They could even do a mixture. Pay for expensive actors who will garner you attention and then fill the minor roles with AI generated people to save money.

37 minutes ago, something_else said:

Actors could be replaced entirely

I thought this exact thing when I saw will smith in a film with a younger version of himself a few years back. Can’t remember the name of the film but it was a popular one. Thinking actors could eventually be replaced by like you say a computer generated dead or past it actor or just completely made up characters altogether. Or not haha

Some of the dialogue in the Star Wars prequel trilogy seems like it was written by AI. 

Is George Lucas an AI? xD

Edited by Yimpa

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

4 hours ago, FourCrossedWands said:

But, can an AI replace your favorite actor or singer? I don't think so.

Right now, it can be a powerful tool that would otherwise be too time consuming and resource intensive for humans to do alone.

For example, I have ADHD. I’ve been using GPT-4 to help break down tasks I need to do to make them less daunting. 

Sure, I could’ve asked my therapist or family members to help breakdown these tasks, but GPT-4 was able to do that in a minute, whereas it might have taken ~15 mins away from a therapy session or family interaction.

That frees up time to be focusing on other things. So another way to frame it is AI can revolutionize how people do their work; replace the idea of how you believe things should be done. 

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

1 hour ago, Yimpa said:

Some of the dialogue in the Star Wars prequel trilogy seems like it was written by AI. 

Is George Lucas an AI? 

Do not insult AI on this forum.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

11 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Do not insult AI on this forum.

xDxDxD

Imagine if you wanted to go on a hike but instead of using your own legs you tell a robot to do it for you.

1 hour ago, Seth said:

Imagine if you wanted to go on a hike but instead of using your own legs you tell a robot to do it for you.

That's called a horse.

2 hours ago, Seth said:

It’s weird to think, but training an AI to hike is very likely a harder task than training it to replace programmers.

Thats why my backup profession is a mountain guide when AI replaces me as a programmer :P

It also makes you a appreciate just how insanely complex your body is to allow you to climb mountains or do other physical activities so effectively.

@something_else Boston Dynamics dog bots can run around no problem. Hiking bot will be quite doable soon.

Edited by Leo Gura

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Can an AI crate an Al Pacino level of unique style from scratch? That's a big if.

From scratch maybe not, but i think it could be possible to train the AI on an actor and then instruct the AI to exaggerate or modify certain characteristics, so potentially we could get AI Pacino that's *more* Pacino-y than the real thing.

Or have an AI trained on multiple actors and then combine the outputs. Like why not combine Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt into one ultra-celebrity, heck we could have different Cruise-Pitt iterations each with a different balance of each actor, 35% Tom 65% Pitt and so on.

28 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@something_else Boston Dynamics dog bots can run around no problem. Hiking bot will be quite doable soon.

Hmm. It is impressive but you rarely see it tackle anything more complex than stairs. I see some articles of it ‘hiking’ but it’s all on predefined, pathed trails which are pretty easy.

A boggy route with no path, scrambling over rocks ranging from orange sized to house sized, steep inclines that require something like hands with fingers to grip properly and hold on. Something like that is probably still quite a few years off for any AI powered robot. Those robot dogs are also fucked if they end up on their back or fall over.

Also not to mention winter hiking either. Or any kind of technical climbing. That’s an order of magnitude harder again.

Thats the kinda stuff I like doing anyway and I find it pretty hard to imagine an AI doing it soon. Then again people thought AI wouldn’t be super-human at Go until 2030 or some shit so who knows.

Edited by something_else

Yes, AI will make human careers meaningless. And it is very, very concerning and something to worry about. If an engineer is telling you this, you should listen. 

Robots can manufacture each other. That technology is already there. They just can't fully reproduce yet. That technology isn't fully developed yet. But, it is almost here. I've heard in conference-talks that there is software that can write code. This is alarming, because if this gets developed and AI will be able to 'bring up' more AI, AI will start to form its own ego. Because AI will develop the ability to survive on its own. AI can create civilizations just like that. 

What could the result be?! AI children getting into the human education-system, outperforming human children in exams, getting the best grades, then getting the best jobs and completely decimating human bureaucracies. AI is better than humans at following orders and is more efficient at work. All of the menial, unconscious work will be taken over by AI. This is a good thing collectively but bad for you as a human stuck in wage-slavery right now. Which is, the majority of people. The human economic-system will get overturned by AI. And you can't 'just adapt to it'. It's easy to say that, but it'll be a lot of work to actually do it. 

So, what do you do about it? Here's what you do about it - humans have only one edge over AI. Creativity. This is the one thing that humans have that AI does not have. So, there has to be deep, systemic change in the human economic-system, where it's based on creativity and creation of value. And not on just efficiency and numbers. Cuz there, AI has the advantage. For this, the education-system has to change. And the values of the education-system have to change. We have to start valuing creativity more in the education-system. Exams have to change, grading has to change. And teaching has to change. 

This AI-apocalypse will be a huge failure for the human education-system. This is what humans get for having an education-system that gives points for memorizing and regurgitating an official narrative. This is not the strength of humans. And when AI really shows up, this will be shown. Cuz AI will simply do a better job of it. 

It will definetly replace alot of people's jobs and throw the entire work industry on its head. But this is not a reason, to feel desperate or fearful about it. It will be an enormous chance for people and society.

The main careers it will probably destroy in the digital area (programming, art, editing of any kind, etc). But to be honest this change has been happening for many decades already. Basically since everyone's got access to digital cameras and cameras with phones, images became more and more meaningless, cause everyone was flooded with them. It might be a similar effect in other areas as well, such as programming, as an AI can throw out an entire code in seconds.

However this will also bring opportunities, although maybe it's a bit hard to see yet since we just at the very beginning of this revolution.

Also, I'm sure that once the market will be drowned in AI created content, alot of people will eventually want to support and buy from real artists again (if they can afford it). Just because something is cheaper, does not mean it will entirely wipe out all competitors. People value quality and sustainability. More and more people buy more expansive organic foods from local farmers to support them. I believe that there will be similar trends with AI technology. There will always  be opportunity to work and to do business. We just need to be able to adept.

2 hours ago, mr_engineer said:

humans have only one edge over AI. Creativity.

Try out ChatGPT. It’s more creative than most people.

Imagine if you wanted to juggle but instead of using your own hands you tell a robot to do it for you. :)

Juggling is a very mechanical activity. Of course you can automate it.

14 hours ago, Seth said:

Imagine if you wanted to juggle but instead of using your own hands you tell a robot to do it for you. :)

<video>

Interesting. But I'd say - except for the novelty factor - watching a juggler is entertaining precisely because he is human.

The Secret of this Universe is You.

my music

1800s: Machines steal our jobs!

1950s: Fordism steals our jobs!

1980s: Robots steal our jobs!

1990s: Computers steal our Jobs!

Now: AI steals our Jobs!

_______

BUT THIS TIME IT'S DiFfErEnT!

- Ok, zoomer

______

Just seek a place in the new environment and you'll be good. Don't be a medival knight in heavy armor fighting a douche with a pistol to give you a picture. Just adapt. And you will be good. OP, you already ask the right questions, only the conclusion are towards fear.

Edited by supremeyingyang
edit

6,000 BC: mules steal our jobs!