Prana_y4na

Will AI make humans meaningless

64 posts in this topic

I feel like AI will replace us all. Why study anything if AI will do it way better by a factor of trillions in a fraction of a moment? Why develop yourself if you're going to be surpassed in any imaginable or unimaginable way by robots and AIs?

Do you think that AI will replace musicians, painters, programmers, creators, film makers, workers in all kinds of industries?

What incentive I have to do anything about my passions if I already know that I'm about to be dumped by an AI. In about less than 5 years maybe?

I'm a musician by the way. There's already a thing called Jukebox that is doing what I'm describing, but it's at the beginning stages.

Edited by Prana_y4na

Seems like AI will eventually be able to do most of that stuff well. AI is another tool, another player. Having that relationship may be helpful.

In any case, think of it like this: Would an artist stop producing art because of some technology, or because others generate art too?

Who knows? Better to take one step at a time without much anticipation. Right now, creating content can be made for the sake of it. This won't change anytime soon, regardless of technological innovations. In fact, performing certain tasks is going to be empowered by these tools.

Edited by UnbornTao

It be silly to give up on your passions just because a machine can do something similar. It's not just about the end product. The process of creation and learning a skill is inherently rewarding for their own sake. The bridges we build when we make meaningful stuff are intrinsic to our happiness. People still paint landscapes even though we have photography. Creation itself is an intimate and important act (hence why you are maybe feeling depressed about all this).

If I made a beautiful acrylic painting of your pet, getting you to frame it and everything. That would have more sentimental value and respect than if I just put a bunch of prompts into Midjourney. Or another example, if I made a pair of chopsticks from scratch, painted them and gave them away as a gift. It wouldn't be the same if I just bought them at a store. The process of creation itself adds value to art. The humanity we derive from something created by people. That is something that AI might never reach. Only in the fact that it is an AI, does it speak to us, itself an ingenious human creation. 

It is when we settle for "good enough" that we tragically lose out on the "heart of art". It's like we no longer really care about art for its own sake. Only for what it can do for us.

If humans would outsource themselves, the would be the highest peak of self-hatred in a sense, I don't think that is what A.I is designed to do, it's more about creation and optimization for the sake of human related issues, that humans alone can't solve. Like building a skyscraper alone is close to impossible, yet with a crane and thousands of humans, and/or other tools it's possible. I dunno I believe in Yoda, maybe I am delusional. 

Humans will find a way to outsmart anything I feel. I pretty sure A.I can help with art, as a brush does it for a painter, it mostly depends what tools someone likes, and which tools. I mean the A.I always has to be feed with a certain amount of data ... if it's not feed any data and can't generate it on it's own, there is nothing new happening it will only work within it's constraints. 

It certains helps to generate ideas, I think it should be compatible, although I might be wrong. They even show the data feed for the A.I 

https://openai.com/blog/jukebox/

A great musican can turn anything into art, I'd say this is pretty cool inspiration I love musican and I am an A.I fan.. so I am biased, yet I would never listen to music generated by this A.I. I heared to an artist just rant about it, and I think it's heavily biased, and judgemental against the A.I, yet I figure this is just what it is currently... I also don't like some topics, yet I think it can be used as an inspiration, and I would support humans first and A.I second. If there needs to be the choice.

Edited by ValiantSalvatore

I think that in the longterm it will free us. We will have time to fish a little in the morning, read some philosophy during the day, and do some painting in the evening. No wagie mcjobs, no hard manual labor, and no silly barista jobs.

But this is really far away, far beyond our working lives. While technological innovation is fast, it's not that fast. To some extent, automation also creates new jobs, and with an aging population and a lower birthrate, it actually evens itself out.

Take farming, for example. It took 15 people to harvest the field manually with sicles. Today, it takes 1-2 people to operate the machinery to does that. You'd think that this means that there would be 10 unemployed people for every two people doing harvest. But that's not the case. The farmer no longer has 12 children, and the fact that the modern tractor exists means that there are tons of other jobs needed to build and maintain tractors.

As far as musicians go, there will be less commercial need for musicians. I wouldn't pay a random artist to make some random background music for a YouTube video if an A.I. could do it just fine for free. But at the same time, A.I. is really far from replacing a live performance. Which is also the place where most money is made in the industry.

Honestly, nobody can tell what will happen, because the future is unpredictable. This uncertainty scares me too.

Definitely agree with @RareGodzilla tho. IF A.I. replaces us without going berserk (and we can influence that), we'll be better off as a species.

If you're interested in an expert's perspective on what we should do with A.I., check out Mo Gawdat's "Scary Smart." 

On 10.2.2023 at 9:45 PM, Prana_y4na said:

I feel like AI will replace us all. Why study anything if AI will do it way better by a factor of trillions in a fraction of a moment? Why develop yourself if you're going to be surpassed in any imaginable or unimaginable way by robots and AIs?

You study things to gain understanding of the world. Even the most intelligent language model doesnt have a real understanding of the world. It can spit out the most intelligent phrases, but there is no real understanding behind it. God will not understand itself through ChatGPT, God understands itself through you.

The only thing that gives anything meaning is feelings, and AI has none, unless we give them feelings.

AI is clearly gonna happen in the future. So there's no use worrying about it. Rather just make the best of your life.

How is worrying about AI gonna help you?

The nice thing about doing your passion is that it is its own reward. If you make great music, people will still consume it. Don't forget, most musicians make their money from touring and doing live shows. You could have said 50 years ago that all musicians would be out of business because CDs and radio was invented. However, musicians are making billions doing live performances. Why do people pay $200 for a ticket to see a musician when they could just stream the song for free on YouTube? There is more to life than just pure mechanical efficiency. Especially in the arts. People want a connection with their favorite artists.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

On 2/10/2023 at 11:32 PM, FourCrossedWands said:

AI generated art is just a gimmic. It will fade away really quickly.

Some people said the same thing about the iPhone when it was announced.

Who is laughing now?

"Wisdom is not in knowing all the answers, but in seeking the right questions." -Gemini AI

ai simply means anything that's been written down is now common knowledge to all and is the starting point for your current assignment

it curates the past

you creates the future

42 minutes ago, gettoefl said:

it curates the past

you creates the future

Today's AI is truly novel and creative. It's not just regurgitating the past. It can create the future.

Edited by Leo Gura

21 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Today's AI is truly novel and creative. It's not just regurgitating the past. It can create the future.

it needs me though, to tell it where to go ... it will do nothing for an average joe

3 minutes ago, gettoefl said:

it needs me though, to tell it where to go ... it will do nothing for an average joe

You’re in for a big surprise, my friend ;)

"Wisdom is not in knowing all the answers, but in seeking the right questions." -Gemini AI

1 minute ago, Yimpa said:

You’re in for a big surprise, my friend ;)

all it's doing is levelled the playing field but now your smarts will be exposed as the dust in the wind they were all along

it only gives out what is put in

needs you in god mode if you want it to dance the tango

On 18. 3. 2023 at 4:56 PM, Yimpa said:

Some people said the same thing about the iPhone when it was announced.

Who is laughing now?

You missed my point. IPhone is just a technology that has replaced other technology. There is nothing special about it.

But, can an AI replace your favorite actor or singer? I don't think so.

2 hours ago, FourCrossedWands said:

But, can an AI replace your favorite actor or singer?

We are getting pretty close to that.

There is an AI made overseas commercial with Bruce Willis in it. It's a fake Bruce Willis.

Pretty soon we will have entire movies staring dead actors brought back to life by AI. Honestly, I don't look forward to it. I don't want 1000 years of movie starring Brad Pitt.

Edited by Leo Gura

6 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

We are getting pretty close to that.

There is an AI made overseas commercial with Bruce Willis in it. It's a fake Bruce Willis.

Pretty soon we will have entire movies staring dead actors brought back to life by AI. Honestly, I don't look forward to it. I don't want 1000 years of movie starring Brad Pitt.

In theory, we could even have movies filled with completely fictional actors that look perfectly human. Completely false people that don't exist in the real world and have never existed in the real world.

Actors could be replaced entirely. It would become much cheaper to use a fake AI generated actor who looks exactly how you need them to look instead of paying a real actor $20 million.

Edited by something_else

4 minutes ago, something_else said:

instead of paying a real actor $20 million.

But the reason a real actor gets paid $20 million is because he brings that level of brand power to a movie. Actors don't just act, they promote movies. So you would need to find a way to replace that role too. And actors bring a unique charm and style to their roles. So your AI would need to be able to create new unique styles and charm -- which is not so easy.

Can an AI crate an Al Pacino level of unique style from scratch? That's a big if.

Edited by Leo Gura