Zen LaCroix

How to reconcile with all the negativity in the world?

10 posts in this topic

This is something that has been bothering me for a while. I want to live a good life. However at the same time I am aware of so much negativity in the world. The more I read about and watch videos about society, the economy and explore the history of different countries and regions of the world, the more I learn about exploitation and suffering. I just want to enjoy my life without feeling bad about the state of the world.

I don't want to dedicate my life to helping people in these circumstances though. It just bothers me knowing how other peoples are being exploited. And the thing is once I know the information I can't unknow it. In fact there's a part of me that feels like I need to  understand these things. For example, I learned a while ago about how multinational corporations exploit third world countries. I am aware of food shortages, wars, human trafficking, financial struggles of people around the world as well as in my own country the USA. 

I enjoy life but the thoughts of all the negativity that occurs in the world bothers me. I thought about limiting my intake of current events or completing getting rid of any current events consumption and that may help. I know I won't be resisting the  exploitation that occurs in the world since I am one person and I am not willing to make that my life purpose.   Any advice on how to deal with this personal conflict?

Develop yourself into a competent human being and do work that positively contributes to the world - that way you can help, have your cake and eat it too.

Edited by Nilsi

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

Just remember that 99% of good news is never reported.

So your picture of reality is very skewed and untrue.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Oh yes of course! That was very obvious but I never thought of that

14 hours ago, Zen LaCroix said:

This is something that has been bothering me for a while. I want to live a good life. However at the same time I am aware of so much negativity in the world. The more I read about and watch videos about society, the economy and explore the history of different countries and regions of the world, the more I learn about exploitation and suffering. I just want to enjoy my life without feeling bad about the state of the world.

I don't want to dedicate my life to helping people in these circumstances though. It just bothers me knowing how other peoples are being exploited. And the thing is once I know the information I can't unknow it. In fact there's a part of me that feels like I need to  understand these things. For example, I learned a while ago about how multinational corporations exploit third world countries. I am aware of food shortages, wars, human trafficking, financial struggles of people around the world as well as in my own country the USA. 

I enjoy life but the thoughts of all the negativity that occurs in the world bothers me. I thought about limiting my intake of current events or completing getting rid of any current events consumption and that may help. I know I won't be resisting the  exploitation that occurs in the world since I am one person and I am not willing to make that my life purpose.   Any advice on how to deal with this personal conflict?

@Zen LaCroix Hey dude, here's my take/ perspective. 

Recommendation 1: Develop big picture systemic understanding regarding the development and coming development of human civilisation

Seriously and sincerely study about political sociology, (i.e. spiral dynamics, ego stages of development model and/ or a academic political sociology course). And I think you will likely come to understand that the world and humanity, bar a existential catastrophe, is on course to become a better and better place as history progresses, in the big picture sense. Human civilisation works like a system and as it evolves it produces results which create better and better and better results for humanity. So, in a big picture sense human civilisation is fated for general greatness, love and wonderful existence.

However, I understand that as of now there is still so much evolving to do in the big picture sense. The era we find ourselves in has many tragic results caused by such an unevolved system. Such that many people suffer and die today.

I take solace in the fact that this system though unevolved in many senses, in very evolved in other senses. The growth of the system of human civilisation compared to the past and so much suffering is now avoided and transcended that was once inevitable and tragic.

A note on dedicating one's life, or parts of one's life to reducing suffering

One can dedicate their life to preventing a number of the tragedies that occur today as a result of the unevolved system. And I think that can bring with it a great sense of purpose and fulfilment. However, though we can decrease it, in our lifetimes widespread suffering will always remain. So I don't believe action purely towards the end of alleviating the suffering of others will alleviate one from a troubled emotional life. Where that troubled mind stems from sympathising with the struggles of so many. Hence, I think dedicating one's life to alleviating suffering is only one possible part of the picture.

Recommendation2: Self-actualisation

I think one must instead look to independently find fulfilment in their own life to really overcome the negative effects that understanding the world seems to have on you.

I'd recommend things like:

- Finding true purpose,

- Pursuing health,

- Meditating,

- Doing shadow work

- Energy work

- Meaningful relationships,

- Spirituality

- Managing what influences you allow into your life (i.e. cutting out toxic people, leaving toxic cultures, managing the type and amount of news you let in

- Finding enjoyable leisure activities are all things that I think that overcome these effects to the greatest extent.

- Picking sensible expert mentors to follow

- Finding high consciousness communities to be apart of (avoid cults and be mindful of cult-like dynamics tho ;) )

- Being patent

--------------

In others words, work sensibly towards the ideal of self-actualisation.

Some recommended videos to explore the idea of self-actualization further

I recommend watching the videos below by Leo (particularly the first one) and taking notes on these. I think these are fantastic videos on the topic. The first one is one of my favourite self development videos of all time. And when I feel lost I find this video reorients me. For me, it is like a rock in the ocean.

Also, I think if you really want to get a solid and base amount of value from the actualized.org, I think going through and taking notes on the video in this site's start here section is a brilliant way to do that: https://www.actualized.org/start.

Unfortunately, I don't think users of actualized.org take enough time to really study those videos, and I think numerous miss out as a consequence.

Edited by Ulax

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Not only that, but the mind is biased towards noticing negativity and danger. Evolution has selected for higher danger sensitivity.

You don't always have to weigh the effectiveness of your actions against all of the suffering in the macrocosm. Helping to make just a single person's life a little easier isn't a trivial thing, it's actually a pretty big deal. 

Learn to narrow your focus when it serves you. If you want to, you can take action to alleviate some of the unfairness in the world, that doesn't mean you're obligated to consume media relating to all that unfairness. 

I feel where you're coming from. For me it helps to completely abstain from all news media and technology in general for a few days. It really grounds me and helps me appreciate all of the beauty around me.