UpperMaster

Leo, how happy are you?

60 posts in this topic

So much self actualization work, so many awakenings. Leo, how happy are you with your life? What would you describe your life? 

I'm asking this because I just watched an old video where you described the vision for a self actualized life. Would you consider your life fully self actualized? 

Chronic health problems have basically destroyed my happiness. I have to work around it every day.

But I am still happier than most of you.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

5 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Chronic health problems have basically destroyed my happiness.

Oh. I picture what your going through to some extent due to someone I know who is going through a similar situation, it has limited her in many many ways. I really really hope you find a cure if there is one. 

So no-matter what you do, the health of the body really effects your happiness. But what about all this "suffering is in the mind" shit gurus keep talking about. Is it all bullshit? I mean I'm curious on what the point of all this work is if a physical ailment can take the effects away. 

@UpperMaster that's like saying i wonder what's the point of all this work if a car can hit me and take all the effect of the work away 

20 minutes ago, UpperMaster said:

But what about all this "suffering is in the mind" shit gurus keep talking about. Is it all bullshit?

Yes, it's bullshit.

Your happiness is completely contingent on good health.

A human in good health cannot even comprehend what it means to have bad health. Such people are oblivious and naive as children.

But like I said, you can still be happy.

Edited by Leo Gura

I have been wondering this lately as well and just the other day was thinking of posting this exact thread so its funny that it popped up just now.

@Leo Gura I think we are all curious because what about the "no self no problem" type thinking? Isn't enlightenment the end of suffering?
If bad health is basically just lots physical pain and suffering, what about the things you said in your strong determination sitting video where monks can apparently be so conscious they can go through a tooth surgery with no aneasthesia with a smile on their face?

Do you think all the spiritual work has really helped you that much now that you have a health issue or is it just that when you trip you can awaken deep enough to temporarily escape it all?

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Chronic health problems have basically destroyed my happiness. I have to work around it every day.

Leo, would you be kind enough to send me a PM? I would like to see if some of the stuff I can share with you can help you.

1 hour ago, InfinityBeats said:

Isn't enlightenment the end of suffering?

Nobody has any idea what enlightenment is. That version of enlightenment is a Buddhist fairytale. Suffering is part of life. If you want the end of all suffering, then that is death not enlightenment.

Meditation is a lifestyle of developing a calm state of mind WHILE engaging in one’s ambitions!

Counting your breaths, chanting a mantra, and the rest of it is all ratshit and a complete waste of time. What is stopping you from meditating WHILE working on your life purpose?

4 minutes ago, r0ckyreed said:

Nobody has any idea what enlightenment is. That version of enlightenment is a Buddhist fairytale. Suffering is part of life. If you want the end of all suffering, then that is death not enlightenment.

How would you even know for sure that it’s just a fairytale?

There are Buddhist monks that set themselves on fire and seem relatively unphased

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Yes, it's bullshit.

A human in good health cannot even comprehend what it means to have bad health. Such people are oblivious and naive as children.

this is fucking based. 

Listen this.

the only worth self work is first cultivating health.

health is the PRIME.

don't neglect, sleep, and maximize your "power food".

I don't say leo fucked it up by eating garbage in his youth, but there is still odds it may have played, so take care.

I started taking high care of my ears after hearing the first beggining of tinitus for producing music.

would rather not be a musician to preserve my earing health...

Health is everything.   Without it you have nothing.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Just now, Inliytened1 said:

Health is everything.   Without it you have nothing.

Yeah, try to meditate with the flu or sleep deprived xD

@Leo Gura

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

But I am still happier than most of you.

Would your happiness be diminished if you had to work 8 hours a day for some company to pay your bills?

So, is your happiness caused by the work you did in spirituality or by other life conditions that you've created for yourself? For example creative independence.

I'd guess that it's both.

I'm quite surprised by the responses here.

Yes, you can be quite fulfilled regardless of your circumstances, health, etc.

From what I've discovered, the key is not to seek the end of suffering, but to recognize the value in it.  Is there a balance to be had?  Of course, every aspect of life requires balance.  Attaining a continuous state of fulfillment would be particularly difficult if you were dealing with a chronic and incredibly painful disease - an advanced case of epidermolysis bullosa comes to mind (where you skin essentially continuously falls off).  But even then a continuous state of fulfillment is possible.  Likely to be attained?  No, but it can be attained.

8 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Yes, it's bullshit.

But what about Shinzen Young who claimed he experienced extreme pain with no suffering?

2 hours ago, bazera said:

@Leo Gura

Would your happiness be diminished if you had to work 8 hours a day for some company to pay your bills?

Of-fucking-course. Which is why I grinded away for years to escape that nonsense.

2 hours ago, bazera said:

So, is your happiness caused by the work you did in spirituality or by other life conditions that you've created for yourself? For example creative independence.

I'd guess that it's both.

Both. Material conditions matter.

Having freedom to pursue your top values is key. But you have to earn this freedom.

2 hours ago, Vibes said:

Yeah, try to meditate with the flu or sleep deprived xD

Exactly :) Good health is THE fundamental level to the spiritual work so that it's also the easiest one to oversee.

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Yes, it's bullshit.

Good physical AND Mental health I'd assume.

11 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

If you can still be happy with poor health then by definition it's not "completely contingent on good health".

In which case we come full circle towards "suffering is imaginary".