Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nilsi

Does Jordan Peterson believe in the afterlife?

14 posts in this topic

Anyone here familiar with his views on the afterlife/heaven?

ChatGPT can not answer this question. It would help me a ton, if someone could point me to a lecture or article where he talks about this.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

He is Christian as far as I know. His book maps of meaning explains his religious / spiritual / mythological views on life.

In Tate we trust

He acts as though he believes in it ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

13 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

He acts as though he believes in it ;)

I thought so too.

I think he does the classic "It is better to believe in God and be wrong than to not believe and be wrong" move, but Im not sure whether he really believes in an "other world."

After all, he always criticizes the "Neo-Marxists" for their utopian fantasies, which are really just a spin-off of Christianities "Kingdom of Heaven." I just want to hear it out of his mouth.

Edited by Nilsi

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

This was a really enlightening analysis related to that. He argues that Jordan Peterson is actually an atheist and that Peterson doesn't really believe the events of the bible literally happened. He digs deep into what ideas and beliefs are fuelling Peterson. Really puts into context some of his odd seeming obsessions. Worth a watch for sure.

Edited by TheAlchemist

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

34 minutes ago, TheAlchemist said:

This was a really good analysis related to that. He argues that Jordan Peterson is actually an atheist based on his statements about God and that Peterson doesn't believe the events of the best bible literally happened. Worth a watch for sure.

This guy clearly doesnt comprehend the significance of what Peterson is saying. Im kinda sick of people asking for "simple explanations," when obviously some things cant be explained "simply." 

Edited by Nilsi

@TheAlchemist Jordan Peterson says that the Bible is a pointer to truth not actual truth. You know fairy tales? Of course they are complete fantasy but on a meta level they point to some insight. The good ones at least. Jordan Peterson would probably say that the bible is the ultimate fairy tale because on a meta level it shares some of the deepest insights. 

Edited by Jannes

23 hours ago, Nilsi said:

I just want to hear it out of his mouth.

He's slippery beast! He won't even admit he believes in God per se because that would conflict with his self-image of being a scientist.

So he likes to be deliberately vague when it suits him.

Edited by Leo Gura

16 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

He's slippery beast! He won't even admit he believes in God per se because that would conflict with his self-image of being a scientist.

So he likes to be deliberately vague when it suits him.

I think he genuinely struggles to express his views.

He does believe in Jungian archetypes and the ultimate archetype is the Self (aka God); and he also beliefs that these archetypes are fundamental to reality; so even though he doesn't say it, he must by extension believe that he fundamentally is God - which explains why he's dancing around this issue so much xD

I think he (understandably) refuses to accept the implications of this and keeps looking for a way out of it. The coin will probably not drop until he rids himself of this epically cerebral worldview he has constructed.

Edited by Nilsi

4 hours ago, Nilsi said:

I think he genuinely struggles to express his views.

He doesn't struggle to express his views, so just don't understand what God is.

You can't explain a thing you don't understand.

He's grasping at God -- he knows it's there -- but he hasn't done the work to AWAKEN because he is too locked in his stupid paradigm of science and religion. He cannot understand how science and religion are both wrong.

All the things I taught in my Deconstructing The Myth Of Science series, he doesn't fathom. That series would transform his whole life if he only watched it.

Everything he wants to explain about spirituality I have explained in perfect clarity.

Edited by Leo Gura

8 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

He doesn't struggle to express his views, so just don't understand what God is.

You can't explain a thing you don't understand.

He's grasping at God -- he knows it's there -- but he hasn't done the work to AWAKEN because he is too locked in his stupid paradigm of science and religion. He cannot understand how science and religion are both wrong.

All the things I taught in my Deconstructing The Myth Of Science series, he doesn't fathom. That series would transform his whole life if he only watched it.

Everything he wants to explain about spirituality I have explained in perfect clarity.

I think he would be horrified if he watched your videos xD

He wants to "save" western culture - that's his life's work; this is the same reason someone like Schmachtenberger will never be as metaphysically oriented as you -- it just doesn't help their cause.

I still think Jordan Peterson has some profound insights and is a great intellectual over all - he's just in a different business than you.

It's not clear to me that your cause trump's theirs, although I can see why you would think that.

Edited by Nilsi

@Nilsi
Peterson is spot on about mythology and how both science and mythology is important. 

Brothers are trying to reinvent the wheel while a lot of answers can be found in mythology. 

In Tate we trust

12 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

The first part seems true for sure.

But I think he understands that science and religion are both wrong from a multi-perspectival view, he can hold that, at least in "SD yellow" sense, he also actually seems to understand that the pursuit of the ultimate requires relinquishing them. Some light turquoise vibe there. :D

It looks to me like he is in big part utilitarian and is aiming towards using known things/tools that work and humans can grapple with. So in that sense, everything he is doing is elaborating on known psycho-utilitarian ideas that can be applied and lead to predictable results. Science is good for that, and so can be religion, if applied in a good way. Probably one of the roots of his order and "clean your room" thing.

You can understand things deeply. But still chose to use human/monkey tech. Isn't that, in part what T2 is about when dealing with T1.

Edited by Yog

2 hours ago, StarStruck said:

@Nilsi
Peterson is spot on about mythology and how both science and mythology is important. 

Brothers are trying to reinvent the wheel while a lot of answers can be found in mythology. 

Peterson talks about myths, because they contain some of the most profound truths about the human condition.

These storys are archetypally very pure; they describe patterns of behavior, emotion, desire etc. that are extremely fundamental to our psychology (e.g. the mother, the shaman, the warrior, the forest etc.) and all the conflicts and relationships that exist between them. He is essentially combining Jungs insights about mythology and Piagets epistemology to understand the human condition by way of studying these ancient storys - a kind of psychological anthropology.

What Leo is talking about is an even more primordial psychology: trans-human, trans-"natural," purely metaphysical "Mind-as-such" (- which isnt of much interest if your work is fundamentally cultural).   

Edited by Nilsi