GeorgeLawson

Why So Serious?

10 posts in this topic

If you were going to accuse me of being, as Leo likes to espouse, a 'zen fox,' I wouldn't be surprised. I feel as though I've always thought too deeply about life and taken it too seriously - something I've definitely been accused of by my closest family and friends. I love losing myself in theory and books, but when the rubber meets the road and it comes down to actually 'living life' I feel sort of naked and scared. Because I take life too seriously, I end up paralysed when it comes down to the business of truly living it. 

The question I want to ask you guys is 'how seriously do you take life?' This question always reminds me of the sinister Joker character in Batman, whose catchphrase is 'Why so serious?'

Uhp693g.jpg

Some would say its important to take life seriously; you can't just coast through things like relationships, purpose and enlightenment expecting to know what they're all about. So maybe it's down to a balance of seriousness and also being able to let go and have fun. That's why I don't like to term 'personal development.' Because, from my experience, not all but a lot growth in life comes effortlessly without you 'working' for it. 

What do you think? I'd love to hear your perspectives. 

32 minutes ago, GeorgeLawson said:

So maybe it's down to a balance of seriousness and also being able to let go and have fun.

You've nailed it.  The balanced middle way is a good way to go through life.

1kvp56.jpg

@GeorgeLawson I've always been kind of a serious guy. Even as a kid, I was quiet and serious.

Like you, I also naturally enjoy philosophy and abstract thinking. To answer your question, "Why so serious?":  There really isn't a good reason to be so serious :)

If you have truly contemplated life and non-duality then you must have realized that life is not meant to be taken so seriously. To take life seriously is to misunderstand life.

We are alive to live, learn, play, and grow. Don't be afraid and don't take things too seriously... just play the game :)

I think you have to choose what to take seriously. There is a balance at least for normal people and common human interaction.

That's a great question. Maybe if being serious feels good, it's good. If you're being serious and it feels bad, you're probably being slightly to hard on your self. Focus is helpful, but serious might mean you need a break or vacation because you've been focusing intensely and progressing for a long time, which is great.

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@GeorgeLawson I'm very goofy and very serious. I do little voices and make odd jokes and dance and what have you. And I'm very serious. Goals, higher aspirations, and philosophical questions are always on my mind. You can do both.

It's about taking your trajectory seriously while also reveling in the moment. If you set your habits up right, you should be able to have faith that your trajectory is fine, so you can chill out and enjoy the moment without constant deep thought or consternation.

nothing is anything

Sometimes it's just hard not to take something serious. Maybe our brains are not wired that way. Do you sometimes realize positive emotions are very fleeting and negative emotions have a strong grip on our nerves.  Our brains are not wired to be naturally funny. So we have to put a conscious effort in trying to keep everything light hearted. :)

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

On 3/7/2017 at 0:03 AM, jse said:

1kvp56.jpg

So cute!  And he looks like Leo...  Heeeey!

I agree. I used to be a funny guy, with a parodic twitter account and everything. I'm not sure if it's age, self-actualization or unfulfilled life expectations, but I lost most of that spark.. I'm trying to get it back though. (if someone has seen it, please send me a pm) :D