Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bernardo Carleial

The Power of Extreme Listening

1 post in this topic

I want to share this high level interview of Deeyah Khan, a Muslim woman who went in contact with neo-nazi and jihadist groups,  just to listen to what they have to say, which is a greatest achievement,  because these are group that would gladly kill or do some harm her.

It's also shows the hypocrisy of our society,  how we quickly point our finger to them when they do something wrong, without taking a look at their backstories to see that most of them  came from "malfunctioning " neighborhoods,  urban areas that are completely neglected by the government and by society,  and are therefore are desperate for a sense of meaning and belonging in their lives, because his own environment couldn't provide any....

I'm not saying that we should allow  them to act freely with no consequences,  if they commit any felony, they'll have to respond legally to what they've done, but as soon as you start to understand the inevitability of people who lives in these unpriviledged places, to find a word of comfort and hope to them, even if it might be exploited and manipulated by others,  because their sensemaking might be poorly developed,  you start to feel a little bit of empathy for them, and then (if you want to), the bridge to integrate these people into society may truly happen. 

P.S: There's a YouTube Channel that I reccomend to you guys which talks about these subjects. It's called Soft White Underbelly .

https://youtube.com/@SoftWhiteUnderbelly