Wisebaxter

Insights have not changed my unhealthy ego

29 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Wisebaxter said:

My intent kind of bitches out due to the sheer gravity of the work I think. If only I could learn to see it as fascinating like you said.

thanks for the compliment. the point is when you stop seeing everything filtered by the tons of garbage learned, you empty the hard drive and start seeing directly. you realize how absolutely fascinating the matter is. infinity manifesting right now

14 hours ago, Breakingthewall said:

It is no longer just talking about spirituality and transcending the ego, but about education. This retarded society educates us to be a kind of eternal adolescent with a low tolerance for frustration, anchored in superficiality, chronically anxious and completely stupid.

There is nothing more valuable in education than teaching people to avoid the perils of the human mind. Unfortunately as you say, the vast majority of teachers are as trapped by conceptualized reality as their students. Who is going to teach the teachers?

Spirituality is ultimately an individual journey to non-individuality. If the student isn't ready, not even an awakened teacher will make a difference. Still, you can plant seeds that may sprout later in the person's life.

As a parent, I wish I realized and taught my young children what I see now. Maybe it would have helped them, but then again you can really only teach by being who you are. Words are distractions except in rare cases where people are ready to see beyond them, to the reality they point toward but can never adequately describe.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

@Wisebaxter The very idea that there are healthy ego's (good) & unhealthy ego's (bad) stems from the ego itself!

But if there are habitual patterns that you claim to be unhealthy, then start different patterns/habits or ways of handling things.

And what's the best way to do that?

Practice!!

♥ 

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

3 hours ago, VeganAwake said:

@Wisebaxter The very idea that there are healthy ego's (good) & unhealthy ego's (bad) stems from the ego itself!

But if there are habitual patterns that you claim to be unhealthy, then start different patterns/habits or ways of handling things.

Practice!!

♥ 

?

On 07/02/2023 at 2:37 PM, VeganAwake said:

Practice!!

♥ 

@VeganAwake Thank you. I do find my own tendency to label things as bad causes me more guilt sometimes. I often wonder whether the path is through acceptance or control. Some say sit with your pain. Others like Joe Dispenza tell you to actively create new emotions. Hard to know what's gonna work sometimes. Even harder to actually build up the habit to find out. But this must be the way

On 05/02/2023 at 4:55 PM, gettoefl said:

cant do a lot about ego since anything you do is ... more ego

one thing you can do however is keep watching it closely ... you can do this since the watcher of the ego is not the ego

watching the ego will tame it and brings to the fore one's true nature

for example when anger arises i let it have its way but don't get overly involved and in so doing anger gets less and less

@gettoeflThat's really practical advice, thanks a lot. I've started watching the ego and journalling today. A lot of dark stuff is coming out, almost like it wants to have it's say. I suppress a lot of my thoughts and don't allow them to breath. The watcher of the ego is not the ego - that's key. A good mantra I think 

Edited by Wisebaxter

Yeah these type of insights don't really do too much to cure your behaviors. You have to work on those separately. 
The mind is connected but when you change one part it doesn't always change other things connected to that changed part. The connections formed by the mind are irrational. To embody a realization means to change all these connections and the connected parts so that your entire mind now supports what you have realized, making that realization such as the no-self effortless to embody. The reason one can't sustain another state of realization is because the rest of the mind isn't transformed to support that yet.

One thing you could do is break free from all your habits, good or bad, if you haven't already. I don't mean to say stop doing them. Just be conscious of what you're doing. You should be able to stop when you want to stop. If you ask an addict, why do they keep doing that habit, they would say it gives them peace of mind. But if they think some more, they realize it doesn't give them anything extra, it's just that if they don't do their habit, they'll feel uneasy and anxious. Even good habits can be this way, even if they provide benefits. Do you think this is a healthy way to live? Binding yourself to habits? Even if they are supposedly good? Think this: If you virtually don't gain anything from doing your habit, what is their to lose when you don't do it?
This question isn't supposed to be completely logical and you can find holes in this kind of reasoning, however, it's supposed to make you gain awareness and break free from doing that habit.

Once there was a ship out in the ocean, the crew ran out of food, but they didn't mind staying hungry for 15-20 days, what they were really worried about was that they ran out of cigarettes. They got so desperate they started smoking the ropes, even if it meant sabotaging their own ship. The captain somehow managed to get the ship back. This story was covered in a newspaper. Some guy, smoking a cigarette, read this article. He was very shocked at reading that people could get so desperate they would start smoking dirty ropes. He wanted to experience this himself. He put the half used cigarette on the astray and decided he would only smoke again if he got desperate enough to smoke dirty ropes. 20 years went buy and he kept waiting, watching intently when his desire would be enough to make him so desperate, but it never happened. He has tried to quit many times before, but failed. But something happened this time.

What happened this time is that he was conscious of his desire. He wasn't half-dead regarding the awareness of his desire, he was fully aware and watching.

The reason I am telling you all this is because when you are bound to habits/behavior patterns, anyone can push your buttons and make you feel a certain way. The reason your girlfriend had a field day with your superiority facet was because you are not really aware of your superiority facet.
If you were truly aware of your patterns, you'd realize you are not them and be detached from them. So my advice is to develop your awareness and focus, and realize your patterns are not you. This is how you(awareness) take control of your mind.

@Swarnim This is a powerful communication, thank you for taking the time. I have a bad addiction to weed which feeds into a lot of other habits actually, so it's interesting that you used that smoking example. 

I find I'm very easily offended, which is tiring and causing suffering to my partner and I. I'm like a plane cockpit I have so many buttons to push. She's the same. We've both started reading a shadow work book from Leo's booklist and doing the exercises.

I really want to meditate more as I don't currently. I do a Joe Dispenza meditation where he gets you to send energy from your lower chakras up to the top of your head to liberate 'the mind from the body' as he puts it, so you're not bound by the past. He then gets you to focus on the space around each energy centres and create new empowered emotions. it makes me feel great while I'm doing it but I haven't practiced it enough to see if it'll make a real difference. I find it a little hard to meditate when I'm stoned.