Majed

how to design a life around travel

19 posts in this topic

i feel like i want to travel the world and explore cultures and people, i just do not know how i can design a life around that. leo's teaching are a lot about living a sedentary life, i wonder how can you manage working and traveling at the same time. it's hard to live a life of travel when you have to work everyday. but anyways your insights will be appreciated. if you have any book recommendation on the topic it would be great too. 

by the way i currently live in lebanon which maybe makes it a little harder to actualize this but yeah give me your opinions 

You could travel around and record videos. Perhaps the best example of this is Owen Cook's work. Check him out. He's always on the move to some interesting place.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Digital nomad is another option. Work for a chill remote tech company that lets you travel a lot and work while you do it.

Im going to Nepal for a month and a half next month and working while I’m out there

@Leo Gura i imagine my life purpose to be around making songs and rap music, that's what i've fallen in love with. but at the same time another part of me wants to travel and explore. so maybe becoming a successful musician and traveling around the globe. but thanks for your recommendation i'll check him out

1 minute ago, Majed said:

so maybe becoming a successful musician and traveling around the globe.

That's literally what all the popular musicians do. So that's totally possible as long as your music is amazing.

Edited by Leo Gura

@Leo Gura will actualize that but first i need to get a programming degree and start generating an income then invest the money in my music career until it take off. by the way how do you musicians make money ? is it album sales or concerts or maybe donations i don't know. probably a combination of some kind. 

Look into vanlife. Thank me later. 

Edited by mmKay

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

1 hour ago, Majed said:

@something_else can i do that with a programming degree ? or what kind of degree do you need ?

Programming is the best one for it. I’m a programmer. There are tons of chill remote startups out there which will be relaxed about where you work from

Music is tough. Your music is either amazing or you starve.

1 hour ago, something_else said:

Programming is the best one for it. I’m a programmer. There are tons of chill remote startups out there which will be relaxed about where you work from

is it tough to get a job rn?

I know a decent amount of web development, but also looking into cybersecurity

Edited by PenguinPablo

43 minutes ago, PenguinPablo said:

is it tough to get a job rn?

I know a decent amount of web development, but also looking into cybersecurity

If you’re going for jobs at big companies like Google, Microsoft, Amazon etc. right now then no. They’re all firing a fuck ton of people right now. 

But there are sooo many startups doing great right now that haven’t been affected by that, plenty of them are hiring. It’s still one of the easiest fields to get a job in if you have some basic credentials or a portfolio

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Music is tough. Your music is either amazing or you starve.

Yup it’s all or nothing. My friend legit made music his life. He works at a drum shop and teaches music to kids, went to college for music, started a band and got with a record label, does music videos, manages all his social media and does promoting through the label. It’s insane and he’s just now starting to see some success! 

I am doin this lifestyle since 2018 , traveling and working remote. Lately I am going all in on Youtube and I need a camera / video editor , DM me if you would be interested.

otherwise: yeah find a remote job

On 1/31/2023 at 10:24 PM, Majed said:

@Leo Gura will actualize that but first i need to get a programming degree and start generating an income then invest the money in my music career until it take off. by the way how do you musicians make money ? is it album sales or concerts or maybe donations i don't know. probably a combination of some kind. 

Concerts pay well and it's how small artists survive.

You only make serious money when you get signed by a label. It's not unusual for a new rap artist (you have to make yourself extremely marketable and skilled) to get paid a few millions for a couple years contract. You can make practically unlimited money in the music industry , if you're willing to go all the way to the top - but few people have the kind of mind that is willing to go to such places. I encouraged you to do it though - you have all the resources available with actualized.org to pull this off.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

One option is to work for 6 months of the year, then travel for 4-6 months to places that have a lower cost of living. 

I'm just finishing up a 4 month trip around India, Vietnam and Thailand, which ended up costing me about 2500$ altogether. Didn't have to do any work during this time and it was totally worth it. This method has it's pros and cons of course, but so does every other method of world travel. Just find the style that suits your values and needs.

Book recommendation: 

Vagabonding by Rolf Potts

Edited by TheAlchemist

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

On 2.2.2023 at 4:13 AM, Nilsi said:

Concerts pay well and it's how small artists survive.

You only make serious money when you get signed by a label. It's not unusual for a new rap artist (you have to make yourself extremely marketable and skilled) to get paid a few millions for a couple years contract. You can make practically unlimited money in the music industry , if you're willing to go all the way to the top - but few people have the kind of mind that is willing to go to such places. I encouraged you to do it though - you have all the resources available with actualized.org to pull this off.

You're right you can make serious money getting signed by a label. But if what @Majed is looking for is freedom to travel and explore new cultures it may not be the best path for that. Might end up signing away his freedom, while being flown around the world on a super tight schedule with 250+ shows a year to milk that money for the record label (and yourself). Brings to mind the story of Avicii:

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

If you're interested in how to design a life around traveling you should definitely check out Noah Caldwell-Gervais's channel.

Over the life of his YouTube channel I've watched his career take off, seeing how he managed to leave a dead end job in a pizza shop to build a life around traveling over the course of a decade.

His travelogues are honestly some of the best video essays I've ever seen, full of interesting historical and philosophical insights.

He also does some very high quality essays about video games as art, if you're interested in that. In fact this is how his channel initially took off and what allowed him to generate the Patreon income that he now uses to fund his travelogue content.

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

Mh yeah Leo can also be digital nomad

In chiang mai it costs just 15percent of what it costs in US