Mips

Way of easing into seeing all is consciousness?

17 posts in this topic

I just finished listening to @Leo Gura’s excellent video ‘what is actuality’. I’m fairly rooted in the present anyway, due to doing meditation. 
All the same, I got a lot out of the video - I stayed with only being in reality. Then I pondered that everything is consciousness.

I happened to be looking at the bathroom sink & I got a flash that the sink was just consciousness. 
That flash was scary as it would totally take away the reality of how I see things, so I recoiled (not by choice). In the moment I thought I might actually get psychologically damaged in some way if I were suddenly stuck fully immersed in that seeing.

I think to go fully into that understanding would be a huge loss and difficult change. Is there a way to make this process easier, and is there anything anyone can say that would be a light at the end of the tunnel when this happens?

Edited by Mips

Hmm, I am wondering here. I don’t know what to say to you. You can realize that all you see, hear, feel, taste and see around you is made of consciousness. 

You sort of need to grok it yourself. I found DMT to be useful for this. 

this video helps too

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

15 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

Hmm, I am wondering here. I don’t know what to say to you. You can realize that all you see, hear, feel, taste and see around you is made of consciousness. 

You sort of need to grok it yourself. I found DMT to be useful for this. 

I was grokking this without any psychedelics. I have a feeling as it’s through my normal waking up process, from practice not drugs, that it is likely to be a more permanent change. This is what’s scary as it means things aren’t real in the way I thought they were - big shift.

I’ll have to face and accept that as it’s a part of waking up. All I’m looking for is a way to transition more easily. i.e. how quickly does it get easy over time etc. 

And does this mean you lose the perceived reality of your family etc? I didn’t go into it for long enough to find that out, it was just a flash. But I was seeing that the sink was just my perception so it lost all its reality as a ‘thing’. 

Edited by Mips

@Mips Well, you can enjoy a movie even if you know it’s actors. I still enjoy friends and family. 

Not using psychedelics is fine. You can also try them when you want. Or not. If reality is just consciousness then… well… 

What do you think about psychedelics?

Why do you want to awaken? 

I think it’s unique to you really. 

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

29 minutes ago, Mips said:

I just finished listening to @Leo Gura’s excellent video ‘what is actuality’. I’m fairly rooted in the present anyway, due to doing meditation. 
All the same, I got a lot out of the video - I stayed with only being in reality. Then I pondered that everything is consciousness.

I happened to be looking at the bathroom sink & I got a flash that the sink was just consciousness. 
That flash was scary as it would totally take away the reality of how I see things, so I recoiled (not by choice). In the moment I thought I might actually get psychologically damaged in some way if I were suddenly stuck fully immersed in that seeing.

I think to go fully into that understanding would be a huge loss and difficult change. Is there a way to make this process easier, and is there anything anyone can say that would be a light at the end of the tunnel when this happens?

Yeah I know exactly what your talking about, I had moments like that before as well. Like the mind will have insights that are so sudden and in your face kinda thing. Im not sure if this is the same for you but I noticed there is also a fear of getting "stuck" in certain ways. Usually it works best to surrender into it and just allow the acceptance of the moment.

Focus on the solution, not the problem

24 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

@Mips Well, you can enjoy a movie even if you know it’s actors. I still enjoy friends and family. 

Not using psychedelics is fine. You can also try them when you want. If reality is just consciousness then… well… 

What do you think about psychedelics?

Why do you want to awaken? 

I think it’s unique to you really. 

I’m happy to use psychedelics, in fact I’m about to start seriously using mushrooms with a guide to clear trauma. So not against them at all, it’s just that I had this without them as a part of waking up through meditation practice alone.

Why do I want to awaken is a difficult one. I’m driven to it to get over fear of death & I feel it’s something that needs to be done for me or I’ll be disappointed with my life. Maybe that’s not the best reasons, I have a desire for truth too, but a lot of fear in the process. A teacher in my youth put the fear of god into me regarding waking up.

Edited by Mips

8 minutes ago, Kamo said:

Yeah I know exactly what your talking about, I had moments like that before as well. Like the mind will have insights that are so sudden and in your face kinda thing. Im not sure if this is the same for you but I noticed there is also a fear of getting "stuck" in certain ways. Usually it works best to surrender into it and just allow the acceptance of the moment.

Yes this exactly, fear of it being permanent & not being able to handle it.

11 minutes ago, Mips said:

Yes this exactly, fear of it being permanent & not being able to handle it.

Yeah it helps to understand what is happening, then you know its just a temporary state of consciousness,  understand what facet your observing,  and the more you allow and non-react it gets smoother after each time staying mindful. 

Keep in mind the law of impermanence. That can help you.

Edited by Kamo

11 minutes ago, Kamo said:

Yeah it helps to understand what is happening, then you know its just a temporary state of consciousness,  understand what facet your observing,  and the more you allow and non-react it gets smoother after each time staying mindful. 

Keep in mind the law of impermanence. That can help you.

Thanks for this - but from what I can gather, in the process of permanently awakening from “natural’ awakening without psychedelics, these seeings *are* supposed to be permanently realised, in contrast with a chemical which at least you know is temporary.

Realizing transience in yourself and everything else in the cosmos messes with the deepest constructs of your mind. I have gone through periods where this realization sinks in, and my mind recoils in self-defense. It feels like being consumed by a vertigo vortex.

You realize this is just a response of the psyche, which is deeply programmed for survival. Centering your attention within, beyond the clamor of feelings and thoughts, restores equilibrium. Meditation has helped enormously, to the point it is no longer a problem.

You can realize this with every other entity. Seeing beyond the illusion of transience to the same ultimate nature in all beings dissolves apparent boundaries. There is only love, which is another word for seamless being. It is profoundly beautiful.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

I wouldn't worry too much. Ego has great mechanisms to forget that stuff when you do not actively pursue deepening it.

Also whenever you feel it is getting a little bit too deep to fast just ground yourself. Appreciate the simple beauties of life such as exercising, making good food, appreciating the beauty and uniqueness of your friends. Appreciate the beauty of life. Leo has a great video on it called "How to fall in love with life". 

Edited by Arthogaan

In the Vast Expanse everything that arises is Lively Awakened Awareness.

6 hours ago, Mips said:

In what way would it be a huge loss and difficult change?

By believing that you are creating a hurdle for yourself out of thin air. It's basically your mind playing tricks on you.

Have you ever feared doing something, like talking in public, which wasn't really that big a deal? You laugh over the fact that you were so afraid of it before. ?

Edited by WelcometoReality

Some great answers, thanks so much guys ??

5 hours ago, Moksha said:

You can realize this with every other entity. Seeing beyond the illusion of transience to the same ultimate nature in all beings dissolves apparent boundaries. There is only love, which is another word for seamless being. It is profoundly beautiful.

Your words like music to my ears :x

@Mips Idk what to say Mips. Courage and gentleness go a long, long way. You can always take a break if you feel you need to. This will in turn probably make you more courageous to ease into the shifts you're going through. Don't worry - it might feel like a free fall - which it is. The good news is - there is no ground ❤️

21 hours ago, Mips said:

Thanks for this - but from what I can gather, in the process of permanently awakening from “natural’ awakening without psychedelics, these seeings *are* supposed to be permanently realised, in contrast with a chemical which at least you know is temporary.

If you would successfully awaken, that new state would carry pleasant qualities with it that I think would be more pervasive. 

23 hours ago, Mips said:

The light at the end of the tunnel is Infinite Love. But the ego will resist like a bitch.

That flash was scary as it would totally take away the reality of how I see things, so I recoiled

To truly grasp what consciousness is requires losing your sanity.

There is good reason why humans don't do this work. It's no joke.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.