soos_mite_ah

Career and Money Management Advice

16 posts in this topic

^^^ This post has much of the background information for this post. 

TLDR: I landed my first job after college. I'm making about $65k in Dallas, TX with decent benefits, a good company culture, with a lot of learning and development opportunities. However, it's not super well aligned with my sense of purpose and it seems like it will be rather monotonous. It's also like 90% remote but I don't have flexible hours (working 8-5). I'm planning on sticking to this job for at least 2 years as I figure out what kind of job I'm well suited for and just in general what is out there. I think that this a good start considering that I am just starting out in my career. As far as money goes, I already have some money saved up and I am planning on living with my parents for another 5 months to continue saving. I do pitch into household expenses and I try to be careful with how much I spend on recreational things. I'm also trying to put in a good chunk of money aside into a retirement account but as of right now, investing feels kind of overwhelming. 

I was wondering what kind of advice y'all have for me both in terms of career growth and money management. 

Edited by soos_mite_ah

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

I had remote sales job in Austin with same compensation, I lasted 5 months then quit with 13,000$ and moved to Spain, now making blog, and plan to continue to act on my highest thought of myself, which I started doing recently. It will pay off I have faith.

once I get my blog running I’ll share it and you can see how I fare if you’d like.

Edited by Bob Seeker

A Call to Live Differently: https://angeloderosa.com

The very first thing I'd recommend is creating what is called an "Emergency Fund". Basically put away 2-3 months worth of expenses (or however many months you're comfortable with). Consider that money UNTOUCHABLE for anything but a rainy day. Even if you think you aren't at risk, imagine the worst case scenario of losing your job, getting cancer, and getting kicked out by your parents on the same day sort of thing. Your emergency fund is your financial survival kit. It ensures you will live for a few months while you recover.

I wouldn't be worrying about long term investing or retirement savings right now, at all. You need to have that money liquid (in a chequing account), for when you need to make the big move out. Take hardcore advantage of living with your parents and save every penny. Pretend like you are barely getting by basically while your money piles up.

The financial moves you make now (early 20's right?) should be stuff that makes significant changes in your quality of life. It's a good time to take risks because the consequences are the smallest they will ever be in your life, but don't be stupid. The moves you make should be towards things that clearly help you move towards greater opportunity and prosperity for yourself, some examples;

- Getting a good computer/phone to help organize your life to an extreme degree

- Finding a place to live that gives you access to career advancements and personal development

- Getting a reliable vehicle so you are mobility independent (I know you said you work remote but you get what I mean)

Think long and hard about big purchases, how are they going to serve you for making more money, or improving your health?

Basically don't buy dumb shit like most young people, who spend $100's a week on alcohol and eating out every day and then complain that the system is rigged and capitalism doesn't work (it does).

hrhrhtewgfegege

3 hours ago, Roy said:

The very first thing I'd recommend is creating what is called an "Emergency Fund". Basically put away 2-3 months worth of expenses (or however many months you're comfortable with). Consider that money UNTOUCHABLE for anything but a rainy day.

I am trying to save at least 75% of my income for the next 6 months (the other 25% or less is for pitching in around home to get used to that kind of responsibility as well as recreational stuff such as hanging out with friends). My goal is to one day have 6 months worth of expenses saved up. I don't know how much that would be because I am living at home and don't really have bills of my own to pay, but my intention is to see how much I have saved once I finish moving into my own place. 

3 hours ago, Roy said:

The moves you make should be towards things that clearly help you move towards greater opportunity and prosperity for yourself, some examples; (I would really appreciate more examples like this)

- Getting a good computer/phone to help organize your life to an extreme degree Done

- Finding a place to live that gives you access to career advancements and personal development Done (as in I know the location, not as in I know the apartment/have moved in just yet)

- Getting a reliable vehicle so you are mobility independent (I know you said you work remote but you get what I mean) I currently use one of my dad's car and even though I have made the suggestion to save up so I can have my own (because I wanted to be responsible), he was basically like *just take the damn car, don't waste your money, save it up since you have the opportunity*

Also I do have the intention on cutting off my family eventually. I don't know when that will be or how that will go down but part of me feels indebted to them. They paid for my college and basically let me use their credit card for any purchases I need. They did this because they didn't want me to feel pressurized to work so that I could focus on school and even though I did have a couple of jobs during college, they put all of that money into savings and into a retirement account. So even though I guess I could have paid for everything on my own, they insisted that I use their money instead. I know some of this might sound odd because the west is very individualistic, but relying on your parents through college and living with them until you are married is pretty common in South Asian culture. I doubt that they will ask me to pay them back but since I do feel indebted to them, I will be honest, I act like a person who is in debt and I am saving up as such.

This is a whole thing that I'm trying to unpack as it has to do with culture clashes, weird family dynamics I'm trying to distance myself from, and some trauma regarding me feeling like a burden to my parents even though they have never financially struggled or guilt tripped me about money. As a result, I do tend to be quite frugal with my money Idk I just thought I'd talk about this here since I am exploring my relationship with money and since it naturally came up after I started writing about the car. 

that's an insane salary! I am nowhere near that level even after 8 years of corporate career in UK. Well done, you can save A LOT on that income especially if you share rent with your parents. 

I think from what you say this is a perfect situation to be in because you are saving shit ton of money and still have time to figure out your life purpose. 

If you say it is monotonous that's actually perfect, it means once you learn all the basics, you will be able to do your work more efficiently and focus more on the important stuff. 

Do you have to go to the office daily or is hybrid module an option? 

How much time in the day could you dedicate to your thing (including mornings and evenings)? How many hours a week of pure time do you think could go into that? 

P.S. don't forget to milk out all those cool benefits !

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

3 hours ago, Michael569 said:

If you say it is monotonous that's actually perfect, it means once you learn all the basics, you will be able to do your work more efficiently and focus more on the important stuff. 

The first few months I heard was the hardest because you need learn how to use their software and hope to god you don't give the clients the wrong information regarding their questions about the software even though you're a newbie at it. I don't know how the monotony would exactly effect me just yet since I'm still in training but I do know that I'm still trying to get used to being seated for like 8 hours a day. Honestly by the end of it, I catch myself craving some kind of physical activity, whether it is going on a walk or going to a gym, because or else I feel like I'm going to go stir crazy. 

Do you have to go to the office daily or is hybrid module an option? 

They don't care so long as your work gets done. I might have to go into the office a couple times in a month and I have the option to come in more often if I think that will help me be more productive. I went to the office once. It was very beige and the empty cubicles were existential crisis inducing lmao (they were empty because the vast majority of people work from home).

How much time in the day could you dedicate to your thing (including mornings and evenings)? How many hours a week of pure time do you think could go into that? 

I am trying to make my hours 7am-4pm instead of the standard 8am-5pm so that I can get in the habit of waking up early and so that I can have more of my evenings free (and if I were to go anywhere after work, the traffic won't be crazy). Usually after work I go the gym, once a week I go volunteer, and there are a couple of days in the week that I try to do something social so that I can continue keeping in touch with people and I get in some face to face contact lol. I also have an hour for lunch and I notice that it takes me about 30 minutes to cook something from scratch and eat that and the remainder of the 30 minutes is just for me to chill. As for during work, there isn't too much time for me to sit there in a head-empty-no-thoughts state because I have to consistently log in my time for their productivity reports. 

I feel like all things considered, I could probably have 2 hours to myself in the evening just to do whatever I want, whether it be self care, read something, watch something interesting on YouTube etc. I was also thinking of spending this time doing things such as checking in with myself, journalling, and I guess figure out what I want to do with my life. I think it would be great if this is a job that I enjoy because the company seems pretty healthy and there are growth opportunities in my position so I would have something that is mapped out for a long term basis. But I'm also not naive to think that this is going to be a company I'm going to spend forever in because careers, especially now, can be subject to a lot of change especially when you're still figuring things out. 

To be honest, I came out of college wanting a relatively chill job and decent pay/benefits so that I can be more independent. I wasn't thinking too much about a career because that felt overwhelming and in a way limiting. I have an idea of what purpose filled work that utilizes my talents look like but I have yet to figure out a tangible way to carry it out. So in the meantime, because my main concern is have decent pay/benefits and I don't have a particular career in mind and I don't have a set thing that I wanted to do, I thought that I'd just throw random things at the wall to see what sticks, see what options I get, and just go from there. Because the advice I got was mainly along the lines of "If you aren't sure, instead of sitting there idley, try things and go from there but make sure that you don't let yourself get treated badly in the process."

That, and be openminded to career paths you didn't consider or you haven't heard of before instead of having a one track mind. And the best way to do that is have an intention of where to go / a general sense of direction and know what your next step is. You don't need to know what the ultimate destination and there is no point in stressing yourself out over steps that are in the distant future that you can't account for yet because you don't know what life will throw at you in the meantime, both in terms of challenges, opportunities, and changes and priority.  

$65k is an insane amount of salary for starters. Trust me, as long as you does your work well, you will be financially secure for the rest of your life with just 10 years of work.

You should be more concerned with other issues like families and health (work life balance).

Back to money, most important thing is money management and not to get scammed. There are people who earned hundreds of thousands but put their money in some shady bitcoin companies and lost all of them.

Edited by hyruga

18 hours ago, soos_mite_ah said:

(I would really appreciate more examples like this)

Hmmm it's hard to say it depends on your goals and what you need. As an example I am a firefighter/EMR so I need to my body to work well, so I invest in the gym and eating good food even when it costs more. Putting money towards hobbies that can make you money one day is another, like art.

This is something you have to use your imagination on. Money is a resource that touches nearly everything in life, so get creative and quirky.

As for the family/debt/guilt thing, this is a good opportunity to become more of an individual. You can always pay them back someday, and probably will in ways that aren't financial. A good piece of advice is to remember you can only help others once you have already helped yourself and have your life together. If you are struggling and not in abundance yourself - how are you supposed to be generous with others? Sure you could give everything away and devout yourself like a monk, but you will only be able to do so much that way in our Western culture. You'll run out of emotional energy and resources rather quickly.

Also appreciate parents generally want their kids to succeed and do well in life, which means doing what it takes to get them standing on their own two feet in the world. You don't have to feel indebted, feel gratitude!

hrhrhtewgfegege

So I have been contemplating about somethings regarding my career and financial situation and where I see my life going regarding this. I suppose that this could be a thread of its own but I want to keep things in one place. 

I believe that I'm well educated in the whole "pyramid scheme" that soceity can be (using this particular phrase because it is one that Leo uses a lot in the video). A lot of it is due to what I ended up studying in university. These are basically the conclusions that I've come to given my life experiences and my education. 

You are not your job and exhausting yourself for your job and career is rarely worth it. It's okay if your purpose isn't in your career because you can still live a well balanced purposeful life outside of your job. There are so many ways life has meaning. The entrepreneurship path isn't for everyone and there is nothing wrong if you realize it isn't for you. That doesn't make you any less ambitious, creative, or purposeful person. I do, however, see a fulfilling or at the very least stable and sustainable job, as something that is important to aim for. Nothing exists in a vaccuum even if you are an entrepreneur. You will always be a part of the pyramid and there is only so much right you can do. Do what you can to mitigate the damage or get rid of it (take initiative of it) but also know that there is only so much you can do and that you aren't a bad person for contributing to things indirectly. I think that there are many people who can be fulfilled with a 9-5 job because they want to spend their energy else where to find fulfillment and that is fine. Sometimes, a job is just a job. But I do think you need to conciously choose your position whatever they may be, People who unconciously choose to be a entrepreneur and who unconciously choose to be a lawyer are both in the wrong and can both lead unfullfilling lives. At the same time, though being a lawyer was cited as a wage slave job, I feel that if your life purpose or major sense of fulfillment comes from being a lawyer, that isn't a wage slave job. And I think that it can be condescending that you are destined for a mediocre life if you choose a different path where instead of one grand purpose that you choose to follow many different things that give you purpose/ meaning/ personal growth in life. 

--------------------------------------------------------------

I'm currently in a place where my job is just a job.  I don't necessarily see this as a forever thing, but I think that providing myself stability and data points is an important foundation for me to figure out what it is I want. I will say that my current job isn't the thing that fills me up with the most fulfillment and that is something that I'm super interested in.  I am hoping that while I am figuring my life out, this job will give me a clearer idea of what I might want to do both in terms of career and lifestyle, savings for a more stable future, and some valuable skills I can add to a resume to advocate for myself while also sharpening skills that I'm already good at. I'm still not sure if I want to go down the career or entrepreneurship route but I will say that especially in the past decade or so, the whole "find your dream job" and the whole "be your own boss" has been over romanticiszed and needs to be taken with a grain of salt. 

also I thought this was an interesting video though it is extreme. It talks about how hustle culture can mess with your passion and how I think sometimes your purpose/passion can also turn into a wage slave job when you put all of your eggs in one basket. 

Here's how I deal with having a sort-of-nice work situation that I dislike. It works very well but it's a crutch:

So, this might not be the most healthy solution since it's basically a crutch but since you probably don't want to do it your whole life anyway, here's what I do when I have to do work stuff that feels like I'm wasting my days away (I do mostly programming and other IT stuff freelancing while also trying to do well at university):

- small dose (mostly 1/4) armodafinil up to 5 times per week (this really removes any sort of emotional resistance you have to your job, so it's great if you already know what you're doing). Also I meditate for the duration of the comeup which mixes the effects of meditation and moda very nicely for me.

- LSD microdosing 3 times a week, HHC (legal in most places) small dose edible 2 days (assuming you work 5 times a week). If you don't have access to LSD then LSA (legal in most places) in small doses does the trick (I've tested that :P)

This really takes away any sort of emotional resistance to work while also creating a nice mental space to have productive, strong contemplations when there's not much work load so you kill two birds with one stone. It also allows you to tune it down if it's getting in they way of anything if the doses are small enough.

The main downside is that you won't build discipline and might even lose some. Which could be countered by fasting for a few days a month.

Edited by Michal__

@Michal__ .... yeah I just have a work out schedule so that the endorphins keep me happy. I do a 10 min workout before work so that I can wake up and start my day. I have a couple of breaks during office hours so I have another 2 10 min workouts then. During my lunch break I like to go on a walk. And then after work I go to the gym for 45 min - 1.5 hours, depending on what I feel. I notice myself feeling stir crazy after sitting for 8 hours and I try to take every opportunity I can get to incorporate some movement and take advantage of my role being so remote. 

I also make sure that I am engaging with my hobbies, interests, and self education in my free time as a way of taking care of myself emotionally and intellectually. I have a handful of quality, meaningful relationships that I make sure to maintain by talking to people and by hanging out with them a couple times a week. I also volunteer once a week for a cause that I care about so that I can engage with my community and I can interact with people who are not my coworkers. And because I work from home, I am typically able to make healthy meals from scratch with no issue.  

I think overall I have built a good life for myself. I think that it could be better if I found more fulfilling work that utilizes my interests and values. But hey, I just graduated, and you gotta start somewhere when it comes to experimenting and putting yourself out there to see what's available. And I do think that I have a good start, I'm still adjusting to and processing this transition in my life from being a full time student to being in the professional full time workforce. 

As someone who has been a corporate girly for a solid month now, I feel like the worst part of corporate/ 9-5 life is the monotony of it. Basically, it's like living in this meme: 

And thankfully, I can dodge some of that from working from home. I don't have to sit in a depressing, existential crisis inducing beige cubicle (I did work in the office for one day and decided that I never want to do that again lol). I don't have to sit in traffic during rush hour twice a day. I can make meals from scratch during my lunch break because of the time I have and usually I make a little extra so that I won't have to cook dinner. My job is chill enough to where I do have down time between cases and during that time I can do the laundry and some light cleaning and as a result, I don't have a pile of chores waiting for me when I get off at 5. Also, the whole sedentary lifestyle that comes with a lot of full time jobs feels very dystopian, especially for my ADHD self that needs to move around to concentrate. Like we aren't supposed to be living like this where we sit in traffic for 2 hours, where we are hunched over on a computer screen for another 8, and we feel so exhausted by going against what our bodies are meant to do for so long to where we sit for another few hours before we go to bed and start all over. Hence why again, moving my body consistently throughout my day is so important for me. 

I have it pretty good. But it can still feel montonous. I find myself counting down to 4/5pm and just emotionally checking out in the meantime. And that millions of people have the same 7am-6pm schedule can feel depersonalizing. Like there's just something about sitting in traffic one hour there and one hour back and clocking in/out in the time that most other people do that does make you feel like a drone lol.  I think a lot of this are things that I would have encountered if I had taken any other kind of corporate job with standard hours, so I'm not saying this as a way to dig at my current job, but more of as a way to reflect how my life has changed since I have become an adult with a full time job from being a student all my life. However, while I appreciate my job being relatively straightforward while requiring critical thinking, the thought of having to do the same thing day in and day out without my schedule having certain blocks (like I would when I was taking different classes in school) does make my day feel like a monotonous blur. 

Edited by soos_mite_ah

On 2/4/2023 at 7:51 PM, soos_mite_ah said:

@Michal__ .... yeah I just have a work out schedule so that the endorphins keep me happy. I do a 10 min workout before work so that I can wake up and start my day. I have a couple of breaks during office hours so I have another 2 10 min workouts then. During my lunch break I like to go on a walk. And then after work I go to the gym for 45 min - 1.5 hours, depending on what I feel. I notice myself feeling stir crazy after sitting for 8 hours and I try to take every opportunity I can get to incorporate some movement and take advantage of my role being so remote. 

I also make sure that I am engaging with my hobbies, interests, and self education in my free time as a way of taking care of myself emotionally and intellectually. I have a handful of quality, meaningful relationships that I make sure to maintain by talking to people and by hanging out with them a couple times a week. I also volunteer once a week for a cause that I care about so that I can engage with my community and I can interact with people who are not my coworkers. And because I work from home, I am typically able to make healthy meals from scratch with no issue.  

I think overall I have built a good life for myself. I think that it could be better if I found more fulfilling work that utilizes my interests and values. But hey, I just graduated, and you gotta start somewhere when it comes to experimenting and putting yourself out there to see what's available. And I do think that I have a good start, I'm still adjusting to and processing this transition in my life from being a full time student to being in the professional full time workforce. 

As someone who has been a corporate girly for a solid month now, I feel like the worst part of corporate/ 9-5 life is the monotony of it. Basically, it's like living in this meme: 

And thankfully, I can dodge some of that from working from home. I don't have to sit in a depressing, existential crisis inducing beige cubicle (I did work in the office for one day and decided that I never want to do that again lol). I don't have to sit in traffic during rush hour twice a day. I can make meals from scratch during my lunch break because of the time I have and usually I make a little extra so that I won't have to cook dinner. My job is chill enough to where I do have down time between cases and during that time I can do the laundry and some light cleaning and as a result, I don't have a pile of chores waiting for me when I get off at 5. Also, the whole sedentary lifestyle that comes with a lot of full time jobs feels very dystopian, especially for my ADHD self that needs to move around to concentrate. Like we aren't supposed to be living like this where we sit in traffic for 2 hours, where we are hunched over on a computer screen for another 8, and we feel so exhausted by going against what our bodies are meant to do for so long to where we sit for another few hours before we go to bed and start all over. Hence why again, moving my body consistently throughout my day is so important for me. 

I have it pretty good. But it can still feel montonous. I find myself counting down to 4/5pm and just emotionally checking out in the meantime. And that millions of people have the same 7am-6pm schedule can feel depersonalizing. Like there's just something about sitting in traffic one hour there and one hour back and clocking in/out in the time that most other people do that does make you feel like a drone lol.  I think a lot of this are things that I would have encountered if I had taken any other kind of corporate job with standard hours, so I'm not saying this as a way to dig at my current job, but more of as a way to reflect how my life has changed since I have become an adult with a full time job from being a student all my life. However, while I appreciate my job being relatively straightforward while requiring critical thinking, the thought of having to do the same thing day in and day out without my schedule having certain blocks (like I would when I was taking different classes in school) does make my day feel like a monotonous blur. 

I feel you. This stuff takes time to figure out.

All options come with their drawbacks so it's a matter of choosing what's best for you. What I'm doing with freelancing has it's own drawbacks. And I'm still figuring out the best way to structure my day too. 

Working out is a nice idea. I've been returning to that too.

Do you have some sort of time tracking system where you log when you work or is it basically do the work and it's up to you to structure your day? 

17 hours ago, Michal__ said:

Do you have some sort of time tracking system where you log when you work or is it basically do the work and it's up to you to structure your day? 

So basically, clients chat in throughout the day with questions and difficulties they have with the software and it's my job to take those cases, solve them, and correspond with the client. Some cases can take as little as 10 min while others can be like an hour. And you need to log that time. But when you don't have chats, you still need to be available, but you have the down time to do other activities such as answer email, do career development classes online, or any other admin work. You also need to log time for that stuff as well. 

On 31/01/2023 at 1:44 PM, soos_mite_ah said:

They don't care so long as your work gets done. I might have to go into the office a couple times in a month and I have the option to come in more often if I think that will help me be more productive. I went to the office once. It was very beige and the empty cubicles were existential crisis inducing lmao (they were empty because the vast majority of people work from home).

Most jobs do not have that level of freedom. Definitely use it to your advantage. It is not perfect but you could probably peg in top 5% of corporate freedom in terms of not needing to be in the office. 

In this job, it seems like you have the resources and the freedom to actively pursue your passion. 

Maybe the challenge is with scheduling slots. Cal Newport's time blocking works well for me - his "Deep Work" book might be very helpful for your scenario. 

am trying to make my hours 7am-4pm instead of the standard 8am-5pm so that I can get in the habit of waking up early and so that I can have more of my evenings free (and if I were to go anywhere after work, the traffic won't be crazy)

this might give you an extra hour. I've recently moved my entire sleep block to 10:30 - 06:30 so that I can clock in 2 extra hours + 20 minute of meditation before starting my 9-5 job at 9. Obviously if I had kids, this wouldn't be possible. 

also have an hour for lunch and I notice that it takes me about 30 minutes to cook something from scratch and eat that and the remainder of the 30 minutes is just for me to chill.

two words : batch cook :D - get a pressurised cooker and you'll have 3 days worth of food sorted. 

As for during work, there isn't too much time for me to sit there in a head-empty-no-thoughts state because I have to consistently log in my time for their productivity reports. 

yah, I used to have a job with these requirements. Maybe this is the time slot you can do nothing about. That's ok. This is the non-negotiable work time. 

feel like all things considered, I could probably have 2 hours to myself in the evening just to do whatever I want, whether it be self care, read something, watch something interesting on YouTube etc. I was also thinking of spending this time doing things such as checking in with myself, journalling, and I guess figure out what I want to do with my life.

I would say the core of that time should be actively figuring out your passion and first steps towards out there. Like really with ruthless amount of focus and determination. Otherwise, it is easy to have a "mask-time" which is basically pseudo-productive time on social media and idle reading. No judgement, this is just something I observe in my life. The less strict I become and the looser the boundaries are the more I am looking for the path of least resistance where I think I am productive (*e.g. listening to podcasts) but in reality, am just wasting my time. 

have an idea of what purpose filled work that utilizes my talents look like but I have yet to figure out a tangible way to carry it out

THIS!! This is what I meant above.

Lock 90-minute slot, put away your phone and journal on this. This should be the core of your non-work productive time.

whatever it takes, however long, this is what you need to figure out to start feeling like you are tunneling your way out of corporate. If it takes 10 years, that's a small cost. The only way to figure this out is to make it part of your routine. It is rare that this lands on your lap as many people expect. Life purpose is actively being discovered like searching for a lost civilization in the Jungle, it is rare that people just stumble upon it. It requires planning and active strategy 

o in the meantime, because my main concern is have decent pay/benefits

ya, we all do. That's the purpose of the current job. There is no need to be perfect at your consultancy job. Just keep clients reasonably happy so that you get paid each month. Builds your CV and keeps you mentally active while figuring out your main thing. 

Good luck, you got this! 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I relate to much of what you have written. My approach is to milk the corporate job for few years, enough to save money to live freely and spontaneously for lets say 10 years. And then we will see what happens, if  I run out of money. I am more at peace with the idea of dying out of hunger at 40 years old or just living extremelly frugally ever after being grateful for each new day, rather than slaving away my whole youth in corporate worrying about money.

In the Vast Expanse everything that arises is Lively Awakened Awareness.